• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Spoon Springs vs Eibach?

jdOTFL5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR #0995 CBP
So i'm looking at getting some lowering springs potentially for the car, but have heard very little about the eibach springs. have any one tried both, or maybe has a little bit of insight on which might be more comfortable and if the extra $300 spoon tax is really worth it for the spoon lowering springs.

Any input would be greatly appreciated even if its input from maybe running either set up on the fk8
Sponsored

OP
OP

jdOTFL5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR #0995 CBP
Eibach has not released their springs for the FL5 yet. They have prototypes for two versions, one with a minimal drop and stock-like ride quality. One with a more aggressive drop and more harsh ride quality. I saw a post on Facebook about it a few weeks back. Canā€™t find it now.
i saw that dream automotive was selling an fl5 eibach kit for the fl5. i wonder if its just the fk8 kit re-cycled and listed as a fl5 kit.

tezzasaurusrex

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: K20Z1 EK Civic, Golf R Mk7.5, B8 RS4
Build Thread
Link
The rates for the FL5 Prokit are:
Front: 285 LBS/in, 5.1kg/mm
Rear: 265 LBS/in, 4.7kg/mm

The Spoon FL5 rates are:
Front: 5.5kg/mm
Rear: 5.0kg/mm

Going by the rates themselves my money goes to Spoon (which I have purchased and waiting to arrive)

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
I'm hoping my Spoon springs show up soon. Placed an order in March and they are due end of May or early June!

UJX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type-R #2479
Do you need a camber kit (are there even camber kits for FL5?) after installing Spoon springs?

DagCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
Do you need a camber kit (are there even camber kits for FL5?) after installing Spoon springs?
If any maybe some rear camber arms to dial out some of the rear camber. Depending on aftermarket wheel / tire you also might need the camber to clear fenders lol. I am using my SW388's from my FK8 and according to spoon those wheels are a tad more of an aggressive fitment on the FL5 so I am actually wanting the rear camber to avoid rubbing

Fronts you will want the natural camber that comes with lowering it unless you are more concerned about tire wear

OP
OP

jdOTFL5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR #0995 CBP
The rates for the FL5 Prokit are:
Front: 285 LBS/in, 5.1kg/mm
Rear: 265 LBS/in, 4.7kg/mm

The Spoon FL5 rates are:
Front: 5.5kg/mm
Rear: 5.0kg/mm

Going by the rates themselves my money goes to Spoon (which I have purchased and waiting to arrive)
Its so hard to judge based on spring rate alone without having to ride in the cars and drive them. youre literally paying 2x the amount for .4kg in the front and .3kg in the rear. I'm no suspension expert but I wonder if its actually pretty noticeable at that point or if its marginal

Modular Cal

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 #581, 04 GSX-R600
Eibach has not released their springs for the FL5 yet. They have prototypes for two versions, one with a minimal drop and stock-like ride quality. One with a more aggressive drop and more harsh ride quality. I saw a post on Facebook about it a few weeks back. Canā€™t find it now.
There was another post from them about the reverse rake that the FK8 springs caused on the FL5. I believe it was in one of the FB groups, so it's probably buried now. I'm waiting for their official release (any maybe a couple others) before making a choice for myself.

Robert.C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1, DC2-R
Pros for Spoon springs:
  • Progressive rates for compliant ride around town
  • OEM quality (99% sure they're manufactured by Showa)

Cons:
  • Price, price, price

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Iā€™m not sure how Spoon does their R and D, but I believe Eibach will at least shock dyno the spring and damper combo to ensure the new springs are within damper specs.

TimeRacer

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Prelude
Iā€™m not sure how Spoon does their R and D, but I believe Eibach will at least shock dyno the spring and damper combo to ensure the new springs are within damper specs.
Considering the range of the adjustable dampers on the FL5 you really have to go overboard to overload them from a shock dyno standpoint. Spoon is more of a hands on testing type of R&D company, most of their development (though shock dyno is easy) is done through practical testing. No experience with their progressive springs though. Both kits are progressive winds and the final rate isn't vastly different so it's more going to be the difference in drop and if the factory struts work well within that suspension travel/force range at least early on. Eibach progressive kits (doesn't appear to be a problem on the linear Ground Control springs) have been known to have an issue with sagging over time unless they've cleaned that up in recent years.

Seems the Eibach kits are final and getting into their distribution.

And if anyone wants an idea of how Spoon goes about some of their testing and why they typically buy a test bed vehicle to do numerous rounds of testing.

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 #1348 (Sold), FL5 #682
I say do only FL5 specific springs...I'm using FK8 springs (Eibach Sportline), and the passenger side is, either bottoming out or something, that's producing a thump noise.

EDIT: only at a few location near my house that I can recreate that noice :(

Rad Ray

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Pros for Spoon springs:
  • Progressive rates for compliant ride around town
  • OEM quality (99% sure they're manufactured by Showa)

Cons:
  • Price, price, price
Sure it's not Swift rather than Showa?

jonnys_honda

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #1288
I just got confirmation from Eibach on their Spring offerings with a disclaimer that all should be aware of.

Note from Eibach:
ā€œReminder, springs are FL5 specific, and none of them are on the shelves yet, so if someone is saying they have them, it is either FK8 or a European kit, which is different than what we are doing here in the USA.ā€

FL5 Sportline:
Front: 6.4K/mm
Rear: 6K/mm

FL5 Prokit are:
Front: 5.1kg/mm
Rear: 4.7kg/mm
Sponsored