• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Throttle House Type R comparison video

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Moral of the story: Don't write off the FK8 just yet...it is making a very good showing...

Yeah I own an FK8, and no I am not feeling the look or size or sound or price of the FL5, but all that aside, it is only marginally better other than one area - where the FL5 excels - and that is in engine cooling. Not sure if the problem is fully solved, but certainly the new gen goes a long way there based on early drives.

Is that worth an extra $ 25-35K over a used FK8?
Sponsored

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
Moral of the story: Don't write off the FK8 just yet...it is making a very good showing...

Yeah I own an FK8, and no I am not feeling the look or size or sound or price of the FL5, but all that aside, it is only marginally better other than one area - where the FL5 excels - and that is in engine cooling. Not sure if the problem is fully solved, but certainly the new gen goes a long way there based on early drives.

The interior, exterior, visibility, speakers and seating position alone are worth $10k more which is what the FL5 is going for vs used FK8 market. Never mind the better turn in, aero, chassis, wheels and overall dynamics.

SP R KiD

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BB CTR, 2022 Honda CRV, 2022 Ford F150

Your bias is showing buddy

OP
OP
BABY NSX

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
This is why I liked older BMWs but not the new ones. The old ones had so much mechanical and steering feel that they were fun and involving at sane speeds. The new ones just feel dead, so your only option for fun is to drive insane speeds and lose your license.
I agree. Before the CTR I was looking to get a 2013 M3, last of the V8s. But then the wifey said no to an older car that may need connecting rod bearings….

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your bias is showing buddy
Yes, of course I have bias - news flash - everyone does -we are people not computers. That is why I referenced my FK8 ownership - so you know that while I am well informed on the FK8, I am not totally impartial.
If I owned neither car - I would be less 'biased'. Less qualified, but less biased. Would that make you happy?
So unless someone owns both an FK8 and FL5 - rare, or neither, more common, they are 'biased'.

This was just my take - not gospel. To be sure - I have not driven the FL5. Maybe I would drive it a few laps and say - 'this is much better.' No offers yet.
Actually, y'all should be happy with my keeping the FK8 - one less buyer competing for that FL5.
You're welcome.

SP R KiD

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BB CTR, 2022 Honda CRV, 2022 Ford F150
Yes, of course I have bias - news flash - everyone does -we are people not computers. That is why I referenced my FK8 ownership - so you know that while I am well informed on the FK8, I am not totally impartial.
If I owned neither car - I would be less 'biased'. Less qualified, but less biased. Would that make you happy?
So unless someone owns both an FK8 and FL5 - rare, or neither, more common, they are 'biased'.

This was just my take - not gospel. To be sure - I have not driven the FL5. Maybe I would drive it a few laps and say - 'this is much better.' No offers yet.
Actually, y'all should be happy with my keeping the FK8 - one less buyer competing for that FL5.
You're welcome.
No I don't really care either way I just want everyone to be happy lol

I dont particularly like seeing people within the same group (FK8 among FL5 owners and vice versa) try to tear down the other to justify making themselves feel better about their choice. They are both great cars 🤷‍♂️

Not saying that was your goal, just seemed bashy.

Sazabi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ

Umm, 25-35k over? Can you show me this deal of a FK8 please. Where I am, all the used FK8s are more expensive than the FL5 unless high mileage.

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
I agree. Before the CTR I was looking to get a 2013 M3, last of the V8s. But then the wifey said no to an older car that may need connecting rod bearings….
yeah my wife will veto any old BMWs. 😄

Maybe a first gen Cayman with the flat six, or a 997.2 might escape the veto.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No I don't really care either way I just want everyone to be happy lol

I dont particularly like seeing people within the same group (FK8 among FL5 owners and vice versa) try to tear down the other to justify making themselves feel better about their choice. They are both great cars 🤷‍♂️

Not saying that was your goal, just seemed bashy.
Understood. Not my intention, both great cars.

Sazabi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ
Within 40 miles of me any Type R below 10,000 miles and a 2020-2021 is within $7k-$10k of a new FL5………….with $10k adm.
Lucky. In Canada, a 20-21 FK8 low miles is going for roughly 51 to 55k before tax (13%). So all in I'm paying 62k for a used FK8 that someone most likely beat around. FL5 it is.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Okay, so it is worse than I thought. I know my '18 FK8, that I paid $ 35K for with only 13,800 miles - back in early 2020, is now worth about $ 35-40K with 38,000 miles on it, so that was my frame of reference. if the cost difference isn't that much, then yes, take the upgrades.

Pierito

First Name
Piero
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type-R (CW), 2007 Honda S2000 (SS)
I (also biased) agree. 35k-ish for a used FK8 or 50k+ at the moment for an FL5. Seems like a no-brainer to me to save the money unless you REALLY hate the way the FK8 looks.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I (also biased) agree. 35k-ish for a used FK8 or 50k+ at the moment for an FL5. Seems like a no-brainer to me to save the money unless you REALLY hate the way the FK8 looks.
Thank you.