• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
Thanks, so it's the same as for the FK8 to undo?
Sponsored

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
When you select the engine noise setting the exhaust highlights. So it would make sense it affects the valve.

Also, if it just took turning the engine sound to comfort to disable the fake noise while still having the valve open, why would people be looking to manually disable the sound. Doesnā€™t add up.
Agree it doesnā€™t add up. Iā€™m a meticulous person and I like things to add up. But thereā€™s still uncertainty about how the system works. Thatā€™s the issue. I, and certainly others, would like to know exactly how things work before they start taking their cars apart to disable a little module. šŸ™‚

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
Id need go pro mounted looking into the exhaust valve to be sure, but when I unplugged the ASC and swapped the engine into +R mode on the highway I definitely heard it change tone. I think I'm left with more questions than answers but all I know is I will be leaving it unplugged.
Was your foot on the throttle when you changed the Engine mode? The throttle mapping is quite a bit more aggressive so it makes sense if the tone changed. You can feel it change when your foot is on the pedal.

The engine vibrates more in +R Engine mode and Honda has done active motor mounts in other cars which could explain why the calibration seems harsher.

dandaman15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 RDX, 2023 Type R
Was your foot on the throttle when you changed the Engine mode? The throttle mapping is quite a bit more aggressive so it makes sense if the tone changed. You can feel it change when your foot is on the pedal.

The engine vibrates more in +R Engine mode and Honda has done active motor mounts in other cars which could explain why the calibration seems harsher.
Yes my foot was on the throttle and that does make sense too. Now that I get a better grasp of the exhaust without ASC, even in all modes it does still seem a little too quiet so I'll be interested in options as more exhausts come out.

CTRifecta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
From all the reviews I've seen, it seems like the exhaust flap is tied to throttle position regardless of mode, but not 100% sure.

Rad Ray

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
I feel like thereā€™s a more direct way to set your ā€œIndividualā€ Drive Mode, but I canā€™t quite put my finger on it.šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

9EAAA07D-2F2A-4088-99A8-F8A53EBDAEBB.jpeg
For me, itā€™s just easier to leave it set that way in the Individual Settings than have to push the R+ button every I start the car, but thatā€™s just lazy me - LOL!

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Ah. I forgot that it doesnā€™t stay in +R after turning the car off. Your method makes much more sense now.šŸ˜†

OP
OP
CyberCTR

CyberCTR

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RSX Type S, '23 RR Type-R #929
The thing about the +R steering is that it was pretty laughably stiff when I first started using it, but now I am used to it and I like it. Kind of reminds me of old vehicles where you actually had to steer a bit to move the car. Seems more engaging.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
When youā€™re speeding around a track, I would expect the +R steering feedback to feel amazing. For daily driving and turning at stop lights and into parking spots, maybe not so muchā€¦unless you enjoy the days before power steering was common. I need to give it a try. The last car I drove that is like that is my buddyā€™s 2004 NSX. Of course his car has far less weight up front and smaller tires. Even then, it took a bit of muscling to steer it at very low speed. Itā€™s something that definitely takes getting used to.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
FK8 owner: Whatever. I will just have to amuse myself toggling up and down between my three settings.
Curious to hear form anyone who owns or has driven both the FK8 and FL5 as to any perceived difference in the settings - Sport suspension setting in the FL5 vs FK8, e.g. Thank you.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Well basically, the FL5 in Sport feels much better than the FK8 in Sport because the FK8 looks like a cartoon.

Iā€™m kidding! Iā€™m kidding! šŸ¤£
I hope I donā€™t get cancelled. šŸ˜¬

Funny business aside, Iā€™m willing to bet that anyone with extensive experience would say the FL5ā€™s suspension in Comfort feels fairly similar to the FK8 in Sport. Thankfully Honda had the foresight to provide Individual Mode, because they made the FL5ā€™s chassis less forgiving for daily driving than the FK8. If I didnā€™t have Individual Mode, Iā€™d probably keep it in Sport (because throttle response is awful in Comfort). But then my personal comfort would take a hit because Iā€™d be stuck with the stiffness of the chassis plus the faster suspension making bumps in the road less tolerable. Then I would feel ā€œforcedā€ to buy 18ā€ wheels (with fatter tires) right away, even though I really like the stock wheels.

spiff72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R

Nothing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CW FL5 #5044
My individual mode is set to max everything +R or sport, except engine sound bc I don't like the fake sound, and the display to sport. I also have the exhaust valve pulled.

I don't mind the stuff steering and suspension, except when my kids are in the car, then I just set to comfort. I am really surprised so many people drive in comfort suspension all the time. It is not so great with terrible roads though.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Well basically, the FL5 in Sport feels much better than the FK8 in Sport because the FK8 looks like a cartoon.

Iā€™m kidding! Iā€™m kidding! šŸ¤£
I hope I donā€™t get cancelled. šŸ˜¬

Funny business aside, Iā€™m willing to bet that anyone with extensive experience would say the FL5ā€™s suspension in Comfort feels fairly similar to the FK8 in Sport. Thankfully Honda had the foresight to provide Individual Mode, because they made the FL5ā€™s chassis less forgiving for daily driving than the FK8. If I didnā€™t have Individual Mode, Iā€™d probably keep it in Sport (because throttle response is awful in Comfort). But then my personal comfort would take a hit because Iā€™d be stuck with the stiffness of the chassis plus the faster suspension making bumps in the road less tolerable. Then I would feel ā€œforcedā€ to buy 18ā€ wheels (with fatter tires) right away, even though I really like the stock wheels.
I own an FK8, and am not offended. Owners of the 11th gen Panamera Type R -I mean Civic Type R- are welcome to state their styling preference. Okay, cheap ripostes aside, I have noticed sometimes that Sport or even +R is preferable in daily driving. Why?
You hit a bump and there is a fast rebound and the bump is over - in Comfort mode that bump creates a dragged out, wallow up and down response, which actually annoys me more. The Sport default works for me. If I had individual mode on the FK8-you lucky FL5 owners!- I would have the engine and throttle in +R, the steering in Sport, and the ride...in a nonexistent mode that softens the bumps without making you seasick from the slower up and down motion. So the lightning ride response of +R or Sport, but maybe a hair more travel - but still a fast rebound. Hard to get right. Clearly.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
@Cornercarver My comment about the FK8 was very tongue in cheek, hence the ā€œjkjkā€¦.Funny business aside.ā€ The FK8 has actually grown on me a bit over the years and Iā€™ve said multiple times (in other threads) that I like both cars for varying reasons and theyā€™re both GREAT. Butā€¦OK, I guess even old jokes (from over a year ago) can still rattle a cage. Wasnā€™t my intent. Sorry about that.
Sponsored