• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Xchax3

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBP '23 Civic Type R #711
CTR will be my daily, ap2 is the weekend car
That's going to be my next one. I'm already looking into it even after getting the FL5. Maybe because it's RWD and I want to learn to drive an older manual. Yellow is my dream color. Awesome ride you have there sir.

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
In the UK the prices are a lot closer than here.
Which is why picking the FL5 was a surprise to me, I'm not an Audi fan but in the US the RS3 is another tier up in cars really. Not one I'd consider myself but in the context of a review I would expect it to win out.

I hope to get to try a GRC at some point but I'm not sad that I am going with a R instead - the interior quality alone is enough for me. If the GRC had turned out to be some kind of drift machine that would have changed the algebra for me but as-is there isn't enough to pull me in. Curious about the fun factor being raved about as the standard Corolla hatch is a pretty uninspiring car to drive IME.

I've driven enough Honda and Toyota products to have a clear preference, I don't buy transportation boxes.

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
Which is why picking the FL5 was a surprise to me, I'm not an Audi fan but in the US the RS3 is another tier up in cars really. Not one I'd consider myself but in the context of a review I would expect it to win out.

I hope to get to try a GRC at some point but I'm not sad that I am going with a R instead - the interior quality alone is enough for me. If the GRC had turned out to be some kind of drift machine that would have changed the algebra for me but as-is there isn't enough to pull me in. Curious about the fun factor being raved about as the standard Corolla hatch is a pretty uninspiring car to drive IME.

I've driven enough Honda and Toyota products to have a clear preference, I don't buy transportation boxes.
Talking about interiors... I will mention some really detailed but mundane (aka not important) impressions i have about the 2 car interiors in case anyone cares. I am waiting to be able to drive a GR, but i've sat in the cabin and started the engine. It was a core model that they had loaded up with extras.
The things that stood out to me about the GR cabin were: The inside of the car is quite teensy, it doesn't look that special -- the all-black is as Incredibly boring as the heavy red is intense for some (not me! ...and i DO normally like black interiors and exteriors). The cargo space is noticeably smaller too. the cargo and passenger space are Big deals for some of us -- which is the VERY reason why i am doing a hot hatch rather than a 2-door fun car.

The GR has a manual handbrake, there are really nice instant-push-buttons on the dash for various controls, and the padding on the passenger dashboard area was cosmetically nicer (and safer for the passenger). Obviously, the 4wd adjuster in the gear area stood out (and was the one thing that tugged hard at me since i live in the snowy/icy north). I may be wrong, but the steering wheel seemed smaller diameter to me -- which i guess tends to be a personal preference type thing. The gearing has that extra pull step to get into reverse, of course.

The GR didn't have as nice a customizable screen for the driver dash, it didn't have separate environment controls for the passenger, and unless your body doesn't like the CTR seats (i know some don't), the GR seats cannot compare with the amazing CTR buckets. I had previously sat in a regular Corolla seat when trying to figure out what a GR would be like, and was surprised to find that the GR actually does NOT have all the lumbar adjustments the regular Corolla does. If it wasn't a missing option, i think it may be that those extra adjustments are either not rugged enough for a track car, or were too expensive to add into the car since it's not intended as a 'luxury' ride. However... the GR driver seat still does adjust a Lot higher than the CTR for short drivers, and has heated seats and steering wheel (even so... in the north, i don't care nor want the extra electronics of heated seats, they're not safety or performance features, and i've always rejected those in the past, so that is a ho-hum for me).

In the GR, there were no special pockets or compartments for easy-access supplies like glasses or tissues/napkins that are usually needed. it does have a nice grippy pad between the front seats for dumping or grabbing change that the CTR doesn't have... yet, then whatever you put there is sitting out in full view and not contained when pulling Gs (then again, who would do that kind of driving? ahem) at least the CTR has a center compartment (yay!), but it's awkward to get to when driving (except for those who sit much farther back). I wish the CTR had a sunglass compartment -- in lieu of that, i hung a black case on the dash, but i am trying to find an alternate solution.

also... I find it funny that the GR has cup holders to carry staining liquids...but no extra enclosed areas to hold napkins or tissues :D

I did warn you... mundane stuff, but hopefully informative for those who were curious. Based on interior cosmetics alone... when i got back into my CTR after sitting in the GR, it reinforced my decision to go with the CTR -- it just feels that much more special. ;)

If any of you have found something useful for stashing quick-grab stuff in the front area of the CTR, PLMK. I found that anything i put on the floor of the passenger side migrates away from the center and becomes unreachable unless i am stopped at a light or parked. thanks!
Sponsored