• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
That was a nice review, and the major British car mags (CAR and EVO) always have such amazing roads they test drive on. They picked the M2, but preferred the steering, brakes and handling of the Type R. Shame the M2 looks like a dog's ass.

urbo73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
valid and based on my personal experiences modding my S2000 for HPDE events I would say you’re absolutely correct. But I would just add, HPDE are just that, take it for what it is. Making oneself a better driver. In the process, have some fun because some cars can’t be driven hard on the street, we would put others on the road and pedestrians in danger.
What I would add is that all it took was one HPDE event to experience limp mode and throwing codes in my FK8. Where as many sessions with the S2000, no issues. I chalk it up to the possibility of NA versus turbo and modern electronics. People can mod however they want. They will learn over time what they want and whether it’s worth it.
This is true, but there are large costs and risks associated with HPDE events, especially with large groups of varying competence. Insurance is an issue, and I've seen my share of newly wrecked cars over the years. Too many incompetent or over-confident drivers out there that you can't trust. I seldom go to HPDE events, as I was saying in my prior post, but when I do, I go with the NER PCA black group. These are the few folks that are competent and I trust out there. I may take my FL5 at some point with them just for kicks. You want to improve as a driver? Rent a race-prepped car at a track and go at it. Go do karting. It will all translate to the street.

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
This is true, but there are large costs and risks associated with HPDE events, especially with large groups of varying competence. Insurance is an issue, and I've seen my share of newly wrecked cars over the years. Too many incompetent or over-confident drivers out there that you can't trust. I seldom go to HPDE events, as I was saying in my prior post, but when I do, I go with the NER PCA black group. These are the few folks that are competent and I trust out there. I may take my FL5 at some point with them just for kicks. You want to improve as a driver? Rent a race-prepped car at a track and go at it. Go do karting. It will all translate to the street.
I went karting a few times at F1 Boston Indoors and Outdoors (the latter is amazing). The kart was very squirrelly under braking and when cornering, great way to learn car control.

I think it’s cause I’m 215 lbs so the tires and brakes get overheated. The 110 lb Asian chicks would go by me like I’m standing still. 😂

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I'm with @Clark_Kent on this one--this article shouldn't lead anyone to trade anything. The DE5 doesn't have Recaro seats, it has A-Spec + Tech seats with slightly more bolstering and no memory function. The HUD doesn't display the gear you're in, it will display Apple Maps directions and speed limits, but it's not as fun as the +R gauge cluster, in my opinion. The DE5 doesn't have anything close to the LogR system. I'm not an expert, but the sound systems are almost indistinguishable. The clutch and shifter feel the same.

As someone who traded a DE5 (MSRP) for a FL5 (also MSRP) after ~600 miles, I can say with no doubt that the two cars are almost indistinguishable. For me, the FL5 seemed to have a higher build quality, and I personally found more joy in the look/feel of the FL5. Coming from a '23 A-Spec + Tech Integra, the DE5 didn't feel like a CTR for grownups, it felt like I traded a handful of nice features for a bigger engine and an exterior styling upgrade, but that's just me.

Comparison is the thief of joy. As long as you don't overpay, you can't go wrong with either car.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
I'm with @Clark_Kent on this one--this article shouldn't lead anyone to trade anything. The DE5 doesn't have Recaro seats, it has A-Spec + Tech seats with slightly more bolstering and no memory function. The HUD doesn't display the gear you're in, it will display Apple Maps directions and speed limits, but it's not as fun as the +R gauge cluster, in my opinion. The DE5 doesn't have anything close to the LogR system. I'm not an expert, but the sound systems are almost indistinguishable. The clutch and shifter feel the same.

As someone who traded a DE5 (MSRP) for a FL5 (also MSRP) after ~600 miles, I can say with no doubt that the two cars are almost indistinguishable. For me, the FL5 seemed to have a higher build quality, and I personally found more joy in the look/feel of the FL5. Coming from a '23 A-Spec + Tech Integra, the DE5 didn't feel like a CTR for grownups, it felt like I traded a handful of nice features for a bigger engine and an exterior styling upgrade, but that's just me.

Comparison is the thief of joy. As long as you don't overpay, you can't go wrong with either car.
I appreciate hearing from someone who has owned both.:thumbsup:

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
You should have stopped reading after he said this: 😄

the Type R has a power-to-weight ratio of 0.0988 hp/lb, while the Integra Type S has a better ratio of 0.0994 hp/lb. The 310 lb-ft torque is more prominent in this lightweight vehicle with its 5-speed gearbox.

Oh but if you keep reading, here's another gem - the ITS is slower than CTR cause it's FWD. 😄

In a straight-line drag race, the Acura will be left behind the Civic Type Rbecause of the latter’s FWD nature.

Ok, now he's just trolling CTR owners. 6 second 0-60. 😄

it performs better due to the slightly better engine with Integra’s 0-60 time of just 5.2 seconds, compared to the Type R’s 6 seconds.

TW00Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 S2000, 2023 CTR
Perhaps it’s sarcasm.
Sponsored