• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
So, I have the module installed... The CTR is my daily driver. I live in Pennsylvania.

Lowering Springs
Rigid Collars
18-inch wheels, 35 profile tires...

In comfort mode, it certainly takes an edge off some road imperfections. I haven't played with the "Sport" "+R."

I will, after some wheel time, return to the CTR unit.

I'll start this off by saying... I wish the Civic came from the factory with 4-5 levels. I'm sure that comes at an additional cost, but we all live in different areas, and the quality of roads ranges tremendously.

I lost some steering response when I went to a 35-profile tire (18-inch). After I had the wheels installed, the springs were installed a few weeks later with the collars. That certainly helped the response. The 35 profile helped with the ride.

When I combine it with the ITS module, I would say the car isn't far off my old Accord Touring in comfort mode for ride comfort.

Before I installed the ITS module, I took a nice long drive through the smokey mountains, including the dragon's tail and other, better-driving roads... This was my first time driving distances in +R and Sport mode. I think the springs and, again, collars helped make it a more enjoyable damping level. When +R was too much, Sport was welcomed, but comfort wasn't desirable to me when pushing the car more.

Maybe the ITS module is the Goldilocks arrangement... I certainly appreciate the comfort mode, which I am in most of the time, but I know I will miss CTR +R when I can get away with it...

On a side note, I think the 18-inch wheel versus the 19-inch wheel would've been more of a debate for me if I had the ITS module beforehand. Tire options are more limited, but the ride quality likely would've been acceptable for me. One of my favorite things about the CTR is the precision... from the shift to the steering. So, in my mind, returning to a 19 may be excellent in the chorus of what else I have done.
Sponsored

Last edited:

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
I received my used FK8 damper module today that I purchased for $40. Swap was very easy, 4 phillips screws, and the circuit board swaps right over. I plan to do long term testing of going back and forth between stock and the fk8's. Initial impressions are pretty good! Soaks up bumps and potholes noticeably better overall. Difference will be even more apparent when I go back to the FL5's stock module.
Which FK8 ADS module did you install (17-19, 20-21, LE)? I'm curious if this would work in the other direction (FL5 ADS in an FK8). So I guess the FK8 and the FL5 both have the same looking connector/harness that connects to the ADS, right (just the mounting of the unit may need jury rigging)?

sashimi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW FL5
Which FK8 ADS module did you install (17-19, 20-21, LE)? I'm curious if this would work in the other direction (FL5 ADS in an FK8). So I guess the FK8 and the FL5 both have the same looking connector/harness that connects to the ADS, right (just the mounting of the unit may need jury rigging)?
2023 FL5: 39381-T60-G01
2024 Type S DE5: 39381-31M-A03
2017 - 2019 FK8: 39381-TGH-A01
2020 - 2021 FK8 [non-LE] : 39381-TGH-A11
2020 - 2021 LE: 39381-TGH-A21

Pick your poison :) I went with the '17~'19 ADS as that was all that was available for cheap on eBay.
Could not find any fk8 refresh ones. The connector and plugs are all the same across the modules, so you just replace the inner circuit board as I mentioned previously. You use the casing and bracket from your current car if going from fk8 to fl5 and vice versa.

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
2023 FL5: 39381-T60-G01
2024 Type S DE5: 39381-31M-A03
2017 - 2019 FK8: 39381-TGH-A01
2020 - 2021 FK8 [non-LE] : 39381-TGH-A11
2020 - 2021 LE: 39381-TGH-A21

Pick your poison :) I went with the '17~'19 ADS as that was all that was available for cheap on eBay.
Could not find any fk8 refresh ones. The connector and plugs are all the same across the modules, so you just replace the inner circuit board as I mentioned previously. You use the casing and bracket from your current car if going from fk8 to fl5 and vice versa.
Good idea on just swapping the shell. Now I guess the only question is, will it be compatible in the other direction. I tested 20-21 -> LE last year, maybe I'll take a crack at this too eventually lol. 🙃 Your FL5 -> FK8 test provides some hope though.

urbo73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
So, I have the module installed... The CTR is my daily driver. I live in Pennsylvania.

Lowering Springs
Rigid Collars

In comfort mode, it certainly takes an edge off some road imperfections. I haven't played with the "Sport" "+R."

I'll start this off by saying... I wish the Civic came from the factory with 4-5 levels. I'm sure that comes at an additional cost, but we all live in different areas, and the quality of roads ranges tremendously.

I lost some steering response when I went to a 35-profile tire (18-inch). After I had the wheels installed, the springs were installed a few weeks later with the collars. That certainly helped the response. The 35 profile helped with the ride.

When I combine it with the ITS module, I would say the car isn't far off my old Accord Touring in comfort mode for ride comfort.

Before I installed the ITS module, I took a nice long drive through the smokey mountains, including the dragon's tail and other, better-driving roads... This was my first time driving distances in +R and Sport mode. I think the springs and, again, collars helped make it a more enjoyable damping level. When +R was too much, Sport was welcomed, but comfort wasn't desirable to me when pushing the car more.

Maybe the ITS module is the Goldilocks arrangement... I certainly appreciate the comfort mode, which I am in most of the time, but I know I will miss CTR +R when I can get away with it...

On a side note, I think the 18-inch wheel versus the 19-inch wheel would've been more of a debate for me if I had the ITS module beforehand. Tire options are more limited, but the ride quality likely would've been acceptable for me. One of my favorite things about the CTR is the precision... from the shift to the steering. So, in my mind, returning to a 19 may be excellent in the chorus of what else I have done.
I highlighted some of the items I wanted to ask/comment on.

What offset are your 18s"? I ask because most are ET45, and OEM is ET60. That 15mm more of sticking out will affect your steering a lot more than 35 profile vs 30.

Try the +R with the ITS module. I doubt you'll miss the CTR +R. I found it unusable, even on smooth roads. That annoying bounce is a killer for me. It's so skittish too.

sashimi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW FL5
Good idea on just swapping the shell. Now I guess the only question is, will it be compatible in the other direction. I tested 20-21 -> LE last year, maybe I'll take a crack at this too eventually lol. 🙃 Your FL5 -> FK8 test provides some hope though.
I am 99% hopeful that FL5's ads module will work on FK8. I can't see a circumstance where Honda would put in extra work to limit reverse compatibility.

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I am 99% hopeful that FL5's ads module will work on FK8. I can't see a circumstance where Honda would put in extra work to limit reverse compatibility.
True. You wouldn't happen to know if the connector/ports on the damper side are identical too? @savagegeese mentioned that the chief engineer stated the dampers on the FL5 were revalved (maybe more beefy and robust?), hence they are different than the ones on the FK8. Wondering if swapping the FL5 dampers onto the FK8 would work. For this to work, 1)the connector/ports on the dampers have to be the same and 2)the damper mounting points on the subframe on both cars have to be the same (I'm assuming the FK8 and FL5 damper connection points are the same?).

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
I highlighted some of the items I wanted to ask/comment on.

What offset are your 18s"? I ask because most are ET45, and OEM is ET60. That 15mm more of sticking out will affect your steering a lot more than 35 profile vs 30.

Try the +R with the ITS module. I doubt you'll miss the CTR +R. I found it unusable, even on smooth roads. That annoying bounce is a killer for me. It's so skittish too.

You are right to mention offset impacting it and likely as much or more, but it should also be mentioned that I'm running Continental DWS06 Plus.

All of those factors contribute in the changes I have made.

I'll let you know once I have given it a solid shot. Maybe tomorrow...

I have done a bit of driving in the last few days... spirited driving. I'm a bit drained tbh... and my roads don't compare to to some of the fun you can find in the Smokey mountains... definitely the best roads I have had the pleasure to cruising through.

Hkc

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fl5

Lowering Springs
Rigid Collars

I have felt the same steering feel loss going to 18’s. I just received the its ads module so I’m gonna put it on and see how the car feels. But I think you’re right, the oem tires and the ads should be the sweet spot. Will probably have some te37 for sale soon lol

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
I'm definitely curious to try the DE5 module as I find the CTR about "1 click" stiffer than I'd configure the car. Comfort is fine but it feels as stiff, or slightly more, than my old prepped NA2 on Tein C/Os and could go a wee bit softer for dailying with our bad pavement.

As far as the 'Ring in +R I believe they were on Cup2s? You can go a lot stiffer when you run R compounds, and I'd say generically Japanese tuning tends towards high spring rates. As mentioned this is probably in part due to the surfaces they encounter in the homeland.

You are right to mention offset impacting it and likely as much or more, but it should also be mentioned that I'm running Continental DWS06 Plus.

All of those factors contribute in the changes I have made.
A wider track will increase steering heft.

The DWS06 Plus is an All Season so I would expect a softening of turn in. The 5% aspect ratio plays in, but IME, is pretty subtle.

Damping does have an effect on initial turn in and during (rapid) directional changes but I'd be surprised if you notice that specifically during normal driving - flip through the drive modes to see if you do.

urbo73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
Definitely try it @Icehawk.

Regarding the whole "turn in" thing, I think it's something that's not really noticeable driving on the street IMHO. It could be a placebo, as you'd really have to push your car hard to really notice this tiny difference.

Another important thing to keep in mind is preference vs. performance. Often times people think a stiffer suspension will mean faster cornering/lap times, and often, on street cars, it's the opposite - a softer suspension may feel more "floaty" (and it will be), but the cornering/lap times will be faster due to more grip. So just because it feels stiff, doesn't mean it's faster. It's a preference. I felt with the CTR ADS module, the +R was pretty bad with all the skipping and bouncing. Heck, even SPORT and COMFORT skipped around. The ITS is just better IMO in all modes.

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
Definitely try it @Icehawk.

Regarding the whole "turn in" thing, I think it's something that's not really noticeable driving on the street IMHO. It could be a placebo, as you'd really have to push your car hard to really notice this tiny difference.

Another important thing to keep in mind is preference vs. performance. Often times people think a stiffer suspension will mean faster cornering/lap times, and often, on street cars, it's the opposite - a softer suspension may feel more "floaty" (and it will be), but the cornering/lap times will be faster due to more grip. So just because it feels stiff, doesn't mean it's faster. It's a preference. I felt with the CTR ADS module, the +R was pretty bad with all the skipping and bouncing. Heck, even SPORT and COMFORT skipped around. The ITS is just better IMO in all modes.
Yeah I was curious about to the turn in thing, so maybe it was just a fluke since the cars are so identical to each other, and use the same tires. When you put it in +R mode it works normally and can disable the TC and VSA?

urbo73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
Yeah I was curious about to the turn in thing, so maybe it was just a fluke since the cars are so identical to each other, and use the same tires. When you put it in +R mode it works normally and can disable the TC and VSA?
Yeah, you can disable all you want in +R mode.