• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Catastrophic Engine Failure

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
There was a similar thread on Reddit a few months ago. Dude bought an FL5, but apparently didn’t understand what the car was built for. He complained about harsh ride and other “issues” that can be said of virtually any performance car. Dude then bought a Camry and started posting in the TypeR sub about how much better the Camry is. It was like he was trying to warn people about the FL5 so they don’t make the same mistake he did.🤣🤣🤣

This whole “CR-V Hybrid is bettah” reminds me of that dude. Maybe it’s the same dude except now he be like : CR-V Hybrid > Camry > FL5 🫠
Sponsored

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
🤣

What the funk happened here...

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
Unfortunately something similar happened to me this morning on my commute to work as well. Everything was smooth and i was on the road for about 45 minutes already with light traffic, i shifted onto 3rd gear and once i released the the clutch the check engine light came on with also the battery light, but almost immediately they went off. No smoke came out and the lights didn’t come back on. I just hope this doesn’t happen to me again. I hope you have figured this out by this time but if i was you, i would immediately lemon law the situation.
You sure you didn't just stall?

Not sure what I'm reading here... from your description it seems like you did not experience catastrophic engine failure?

And yeah, a possible explanation for OPs absence is pending litigation. Starting to wonder now if it wasn't just a troll...

JonathanA0315

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Civic TypeR
You sure you didn't just stall?

Not sure what I'm reading here... from your description it seems like you did not experience catastrophic engine failure?

And yeah, a possible explanation for OPs absence is pending litigation. Starting to wonder now if it wasn't just a troll...
No I’m sure i did not stall, I’ve been driving stick for a while, not saying I’m perfect but i know when something is not normal. I never said i experienced engine failure, it seemed similar. I read somewhere else that someone else had a similar issue like mine, but his check engine light stayed on. That’s the reason i came here to see if anyone experienced anything similar.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Integra, '02 Corolla
Your CEL blinked? Surely it's catastrophic engine failure and you've just been coasting around since then. Lawyer up, or better yet grab yer AR and storm the dealership and take whatever car you want. They owe it to you.

hammeredsole

Banned
Banned
First Name
Mister
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Odyssey Elite, F150 Tremor, CRV Hybrid Sport-L
You're getting a lot of flack, and I don't agree with everything you said, but I do agree that these newer Honda engines are a bit soulless. It's the one thing that has kept me from pulling the trigger. Had I never gotten the opportunity to test drive an FL5, I would almost certainly own one at this point. I know I'm living in the past, but the K series/F series engines were just really special, fun motors. The FL5 is a vastly superior car in many ways, but the engine characteristics/sounds really let me down. I'm hoping I get the opportunity at some point to drive an FL5 with some bolt-ons and a tune to see if that changes things for me.
That's because people naturally adopt a defensive posture over things they own, as if it's an extension of them personally, and have a difficult time with criticism or reality. I think the reactions are a combination of this, as well as lack of experience with a lot of different cars. Think about all the people who overextended themselves financially on an FL5 (or any car for that matter), they are almost obligated to get defensive. It's like that in ANY hobby circle. For example: guns, truck brands, guitars, etc.. everyone swears this brand or that, many of the preferences are based on what they spent their money on. When in reality, they're all really the same (with the exception on low end crap) and they all have their strengths and weaknesses.

I've said it before, the FL5 is a really great car for the money, and the handling is bonkers and it's very fun to drive. However, for me, engine character is 70% of the experience, and the K20C just feels digital and flat in personality. It's like an AI girlfriend giving you a handjob with a gameboy power glove. Between the driving character of the K20C, the very low overhead for power from the poor flow characteristics of the head, and the cooling issues from the water cooled exhaust manifold, I just personally think there are better options if you want a truly fast and engaging car.

I used to get defensive over my car brand, model, engine, etc..... when I was 19. There are far more important things in life than what people think about your car.

Last edited:

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
That's because people naturally adopt a defensive posture over things they own, as if it's an extension of them personally, and have a difficult time with criticism or reality. I think the reactions are a combination of this, as well as lack of experience with a lot of different cars. Think about all the people who overextended themselves financially on an FL5 (or any car for that matter), they are almost obligated to get defensive. It's like that in ANY hobby circle. For example: guns, truck brands, guitars, etc.. everyone swears this brand or that, many of the preferences are based on what they spent their money on. When in reality, they're all really the same (with the exception on low end crap) and they all have their strengths and weaknesses.

I've said it before, the FL5 is a really great car for the money, and the handling is bonkers and it's very fun to drive. However, for me, engine character is 70% of the experience, and the K20C just feels digital and flat in personality. It's like an AI girlfriend giving you a handjob with a gameboy power glove. Between the driving character of the K20C, the very low overhead for power from the poor flow characteristics of the head, and the cooling issues from the water cooled exhaust manifold, I just personally think there are better options if you want a truly fast and engaging car.

I used to get defensive over my car brand, model, engine, etc..... when I was 19. There are far more important things in life than what people think about your car.
Get over here big boy!

11th Gen Honda Civic Catastrophic Engine Failure download (7)

Stan23

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 FL5, 2002 AP1 S2000

OK i'll bite, since your tone is more reasonable this time. None of what you said really applies to me, because I am not getting defensive about the cars I own. I like all makes/models if they speak to me. There is no perfect car for everyone.

That said, you could say that i'm not the biggest fan of say the Dodge Neon. Just not for me, but i'm not going to go into the Dodge Neon forums and tell them why I don't like the car, and that there are much better alternatives. That's just bad form--especially on a Dodge Neon specific forum for folks who actually like the car and there to share enthusiasm about it.

Thats kinda how you're coming across. IMO, there are far more important things in life than going into a specific car enthusiast forum and bashing the car you used to own..

ABPDE5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type-S

superporpoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL5, 2023 RS3
People are defensive over things they own but also antagonistic towards things that didn't work out for them. And also people like different things. I wish everyone was less insistent that their personal opinion apply to others.

I like my FL5 overall but I do think the engine is characterless. This feeling is enhanced by the car's lack of sound combined with high tire noise (which just emphasizes that the car literally makes no other noise). And even though this is one of the best FWD cars ever, I think FWD inherently sorta sucks — at least here in the PNW where I live.

So I don't think the FL5 is perfect, but when I think about everything that's important to me personally in a daily (engagement, reliability, aesthetic, driver inputs, passenger and cargo space, low depreciation, low maintenance) — there's not a better option under $50K new.

But again... this is all just for my needs, and I don't expect my needs to apply to everyone. To be honest, if the GR Corolla had more passenger and cargo space I'd probably own that instead just for the AWD — even though in many ways it is a "worse car" (at least on a sunny day).
Sponsored