• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

FL5 4WIN

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CW Civic Type R, 2014 Track FRS
Despite a pretty rainy 36 hours I have managed to put 500KMs on the new FL5 including 100 of them on the track and thought some might like to hear my initial impressions. The chassis is superbly responsive and precise. I also have a fully track prepared and caged FRS and manage a race track so I do have a bit of frame of reference to compare to. The track videos to date had me a bit concerned so I just wanted to provide a little bit of my driving impressions today. The track and tire temps were very cold so less than ideal and I did respect the break-in and kept to only 50% throttle and under 4500RPM, this required extra shifting but with the amazing transmission in the car that was a treat. I know many of the track videos thus far show what looks like a bouncy ride and I can tell you that is much more a factor of the track and not the car at all. Calabogie, where I ran is buttery smooth and the car was so firm, planted and with laser sharp turn in. No bucking bronco rides like some of the videos show. Weather permitting, I will do my best to get back out with the GoPro to get some footage to demonstrate how smooth the ride can be on a nice track surface.

Road manners are great with irregularities being felt more than a non-sports car but not overly harsh in comfort mode. In my opinion, +R mode is not designed for the street unless you're on a freshly paved stretch I would avoid it altogether.

Keeping the rains on this thing and under 4500 RPM is an exercise in incredible restraint to say the least, the car just wants to go from that point and I cannot wait to unleash the beast. I know no one loves piped in fake engine sounds but when keeping the car at lower RPM during this break-in period the sounds it makes on rev match are, dare I say, nice with a deep tone and not really fake sounding. From videos the upper rev range may be a different thing but for the lower RPM stuff I have experienced so far I personally like it and have found myself rowing up and down the gearbox just for fun.

I will leave it at that for now but if anyone has any specific questions, fire away.

11th Gen Honda Civic First 500KMs Driving and FL5 Track Impressions @ Calabogie Motorsports Park, Longest Track in Canada PXL_20221112_175851586

11th Gen Honda Civic First 500KMs Driving and FL5 Track Impressions @ Calabogie Motorsports Park, Longest Track in Canada PXL_20221112_175926659

11th Gen Honda Civic First 500KMs Driving and FL5 Track Impressions @ Calabogie Motorsports Park, Longest Track in Canada PXL_20221112_180004605

11th Gen Honda Civic First 500KMs Driving and FL5 Track Impressions @ Calabogie Motorsports Park, Longest Track in Canada PXL_20221112_180251711

11th Gen Honda Civic First 500KMs Driving and FL5 Track Impressions @ Calabogie Motorsports Park, Longest Track in Canada PXL_20221112_180422717

11th Gen Honda Civic First 500KMs Driving and FL5 Track Impressions @ Calabogie Motorsports Park, Longest Track in Canada PXL_20221112_180541021

11th Gen Honda Civic First 500KMs Driving and FL5 Track Impressions @ Calabogie Motorsports Park, Longest Track in Canada PXL_20221112_180620707

11th Gen Honda Civic First 500KMs Driving and FL5 Track Impressions @ Calabogie Motorsports Park, Longest Track in Canada PXL_20221112_180630198

11th Gen Honda Civic First 500KMs Driving and FL5 Track Impressions @ Calabogie Motorsports Park, Longest Track in Canada PXL_20221112_180650821

11th Gen Honda Civic First 500KMs Driving and FL5 Track Impressions @ Calabogie Motorsports Park, Longest Track in Canada PXL_20221112_180659971
Sponsored

drac

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5, Legacy GT, 996C4S, Elise, AMV8V, A6 3.0BiTdi
Thank you for your impressions and the pictures. Really nice to see it out and about. I'm really interested in your take on its road manners. We live in the middle of nowhere but amazing challenging back roads. Can't wait for Feb when our CW FL5 arrives.

Ac12

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Accord
Despite a pretty rainy 36 hours I have managed to put 500KMs on the new FL5 including 100 of them on the track and thought some might like to hear my initial impressions. The chassis is superbly responsive and precise. I also have a fully track prepared and caged FRS and manage a race track so I do have a bit of frame of reference to compare to. The track videos to date had me a bit concerned so I just wanted to provide a little bit of my driving impressions today. The track and tire temps were very cold so less than ideal and I did respect the break-in and kept to only 50% throttle and under 4500RPM, this required extra shifting but with the amazing transmission in the car that was a treat. I know many of the track videos thus far show what looks like a bouncy ride and I can tell you that is much more a factor of the track and not the car at all. Calabogie, where I ran is buttery smooth and the car was so firm, planted and with laser sharp turn in. No bucking bronco rides like some of the videos show. Weather permitting, I will do my best to get back out with the GoPro to get some footage to demonstrate how smooth the ride can be on a nice track surface.

Road manners are great with irregularities being felt more than a non-sports car but not overly harsh in comfort mode. In my opinion, +R mode is not designed for the street unless you're on a freshly paved stretch I would avoid it altogether.

Keeping the rains on this thing and under 4500 RPM is an exercise in incredible restraint to say the least, the car just wants to go from that point and I cannot wait to unleash the beast. I know no one loves piped in fake engine sounds but when keeping the car at lower RPM during this break-in period the sounds it makes on rev match are, dare I say, nice with a deep tone and not really fake sounding. From videos the upper rev range may be a different thing but for the lower RPM stuff I have experienced so far I personally like it and have found myself rowing up and down the gearbox just for fun.

I will leave it at that for now but if anyone has any specific questions, fire away.

PXL_20221112_175851586.jpg

PXL_20221112_175926659.jpg

PXL_20221112_180004605.jpg

PXL_20221112_180251711.jpg

PXL_20221112_180422717.jpg

PXL_20221112_180541021.jpg

PXL_20221112_180620707.jpg

PXL_20221112_180630198.jpg

PXL_20221112_180650821.jpg

PXL_20221112_180659971.jpg
congrats, looks awesome, but man you took my license plate lol... can you talk a little about the purchase process in Ontario?

JBO

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Cayman GT4 | 2015 Fiesta ST
Thank you for talking about the ride quality on road in comfort mode. I'm not expecting a limo but to know it feels firm but not jiggly/uncomfortable is great news.

Zero7

First Name
Avtar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Nice litlle review, have you had seat time in an FK8 on the same circuit and therefore and comparisons?

OP
OP
FL5 4WIN

FL5 4WIN

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last edited:
OP
OP
FL5 4WIN

FL5 4WIN

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice litlle review, have you had seat time in an FK8 on the same circuit and therefore and comparisons?
I have driven a fair number of performance cars on the track over the years but unfortunately none in an FK8 to directly compare.

OP
OP
FL5 4WIN

FL5 4WIN

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
congrats, looks awesome, but man you took my license plate lol... can you talk a little about the purchase process in Ontario?
The day the chassis code was confirmed I ordered the plate. I am not a huge fan of personalized plates but to the laymen this one just looks normal, but if you know you know, right? ;-)

I know everyone's dealer experience will differ but mine was as transparent and pain-free as possible. I had previously purchased vehicles with this dealership and always had good experiences so was not surprised when this one went the same. I was looking for an Si in the summer to tide me over till the Type R arrived. They were sold out so I garbed a sport manual in June and placed my deposit on the Type R at that time. AT the time I was 2nd in line. Once dealer got allocation from Honda I was updated with an estimated delivery of September. I got the call early this week that No.1 backed out and they had the car on the lot if I wanted it. MSRP No extras that I didn't want and ask for. I just added the factory extended warrantee and the tire and rim issuance. Roads in Ottawa and 30 series tires are often a bad mix.

Ac12

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Accord
Very nice, and congrats again.
Im working with a local small town dealer and supposedly first in line. They called me a few days ago to put a $500 deposit into the Honda system after I put a 1k deposit directly with them in Sept. He this would be the easiest way, but still couldn't confirm a hundred percent if they were getting a car, just most likely a white one next summer?

randomFL5guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
I also have a fully track prepared and caged FRS and manage a race track so I do have a bit of frame of reference to compare to.
Can you speak more about what you think about the FL5 vs your FRS? How are the inputs different, steering feel, responsiveness etc? Which one is more fun? And do you miss RWD or does the FL5 handle well enough to not miss it? Im planning to get an FL5, currently driving a slightly modded BRZ.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FL5 4WIN

FL5 4WIN

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can you speak more about what you think about the FL5 vs your FRS? How are the inputs different, steering feel, responsiveness etc? Which one is more fun? And do you miss RWD or does the FL5 handle well enough to not miss it? Im planning to get an FL5, currently driving a slightly modded BRZ.
Just a quick note about my FRS for reference. It has only ever been a track car with full race suspension, roll cage, lots of areo, track alignment and race rubber.
The 4s tires on the Civic like more heat then the temperatures and track time on Saturday would allow and I was still being cognisant and respectful of the break-in limits, all that to say I was far from the limits of the Civic that day.

Sorry, with all that out of the way my first and early impressions with comparison to my track FRS would be that the Civic has on par or better turn-in feel and responds just as well to throttle lift off rotation in tight corners. With being limited to 4500 RPM and only partial throttle I wasn't able to get a real good sense of hard corner exit behavior but I'd imagine this is where there may be some difference between the 2 but within the confines of the day it was very impressive and I have no doubt it will be more fun than the FRS and that is a super entertaining track toy in its own right.

Last edited:

randomFL5guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
I have no doubt it will be more fun than the FRS and that is a super entertaining track toy in its own right.
Great to hear! I love my BRZ and just wanted something hopefully as fun, but a little more practical, and it sounds like the fl5 fits those requirements well!