• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Is it just me, or is the aftermarket for the FL5 kind of lame?

CTRifecta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Perhaps that's part of it - the car is so perfect stock, everything maxed out, that it's harder to justify modding this thing.
Sponsored

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
As some have already said, I am left wondering "what's missing?" The only things that comes to mind for me is support from Motec, but that but is not applicable to 99.99% of FL5 owners. We have had no trouble finding things to do with our FL5:

https://www.twostepperformance.com/blogs/tsps-builds/fl5

TW00Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 S2000, 2023 CTR
To me it’s the reduction in the number of JDM and USDM tuners. The options per mod, aside from exhaust or body aero are less. My experience from owning a 2000 Civic Si new and 2007 S2000 new, the options I see across the board for the FK8 and now FL5 just doesn’t compare.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
Matter of time before the exhaust clamps on that AWE start to leak too. It cost too much to then turn around and have it leak after a year or so.
I agree and not only that but the way its put together is not appealing to me.

TypeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-Rs!
Instead of complaining, make suggestions and give companies a reason to spend their money on developing things you'll buy. I see it all the time - people complain about parts not being available, but when someone invests tens of thousands - if not hundreds of thousands of dollars to make great stuff... the end user picks the cheapest option on the market.

With that said... what parts do you actually want to see get made?

Where are you going to spend your money?

(If you have no plan to buy, then your opinion doesn't really matter)

Reactions: rui

TypeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-Rs!
To me it’s the reduction in the number of JDM and USDM tuners. The options per mod, aside from exhaust or body aero are less. My experience from owning a 2000 Civic Si new and 2007 S2000 new, the options I see across the board for the FK8 and now FL5 just doesn’t compare.
The industry is not the same as it was in the 90s.

There are TONS of JDM brands that make FK8 and FL5 parts... probably more than there are that still offer EK stuff.

You also have to realize that the EK Civics are like 30 years old and there are millions of them around the world. That has a huge impact on how many parts are available.

blu_fl5_ctr

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BOOST BLUE TYPE R
Where is it lacking? Stick on flames?
Just about every engine component can be upgraded to support over 800hp, custom live tuning is possible, turbo upgrades a plenty, intakes 8 or so options, titanium intake pipes, exhausts half a dozen or more, fuel upgrades,oil cooling, engine cooling, carbon fiber accessories. Flex fuel and meth kits available. Suspension upgrades, coilovers, springs, rear arms, rigid collars.....What else would one want?
Only thing lame is this thread. So spend some money and void your warranty then report back when your car is 800hp+
"Stick on 🔥" LMAO 🤣

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec

cryptolime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Si
it takes time for the aftermarket to develop. that's why there are so many parts for older Civics. most of that stuff wasn't available when they first came out.

kevinh

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 2019 Honda insight
I think it’s a lot of different reasons. Governments clamping down on emissions/ more new cars in past couple years like GR86 and GR Corolla eating into companies r&d for the civic to go along with less companies then 20/30 years ago. For instance how many options do we have for intercoolers? what Js racing and PRL?

just have to give it time for more parts to come to market.

urbo73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
No exhaust will sound good on this car. It will be ok at best. But that is due to cylinder head design. Anything with a single port sounds like crap.
In terms of no exhaust sounding good, I disagree. It's not going to sound like a V8 or V6, but it can definitely sound good.

I personally dislike the AWE, so to each their own.
Yes, of course. Perfect was the wrong adjective. To me it sounds the most "natural", or how the car should sound if it wasn't muted from the factory with the OEM exhaust.

sugarl4nd

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL5 CW & 2020 FK8 CW
No exhaust will sound good on this car. It will be ok at best. But that is due to cylinder head design. Anything with a single port sounds like crap.
HKS Legamax Sport on FL5 sounds good to me ;)

To each and their own :thumbsup:

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
In terms of no exhaust sounding good, I disagree. It's not going to sound like a V8 or V6, but it can definitely sound good.

Yes, of course. Perfect was the wrong adjective. To me it sounds the most "natural", or how the car should sound if it wasn't muted from the factory with the OEM exhaust.
You will get a better tone out of an exhaust and lets face it we are all car enthusiasts here. We enjoy the extra sound of the exhaust, all my cars through the years have had exhaust. But this one and the Focus ST I had take the prize of I’m not sure if I want an exhaust because of the way it sounds. The exhaust note is just not that great.

If you guys like your exhaust I’m happy for you, like I said my personal opinion that they just don’t sound so good as other 4 bangers in the past.

I do agree that the stock exhaust is lacking and that it’s too quiet.
Sponsored

Last edited: