• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Zero7

First Name
Avtar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
That was my thoughts on the M2C I owned too, I do find my FK8 alive and engaging to drive now it has a few choice mods
Sponsored

Robert.C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1, DC2-R
For people in snow country who plan to drive their cars year-round, I think that the GR Corolla makes perfect sense and is probably the better choice. That doesn't describe me though.

Z3N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 FK8 CTR
Have had a separate set of winter wheels & tires for my fk8 since I've had it - no issues in the snow (through mountain passes, etc.).
AWD is nice, and of course better for traction, but as long as you have proper winter tires on, you'll be good to go. đź‘Ť

Sazabi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ
Unless you live way up North, where you get 20cm (7") of snow consistently, you don't need AWD. And even then I doubt a GR corolla with its ground clearance would be great for driving in deep snow despite its AWD. A good set of winter tires+2WD trumps seasonal+AWD any day. I've driven my RWD BRZ in Toronto winters for the past 5 years and haven't had issue. There were a few times where we would get a nasty blizzard and taking out any car would be a risk.

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
Unless you live way up North, where you get 20cm (7") of snow consistently, you don't need AWD. And even then I doubt a GR corolla with its ground clearance would be great for driving in deep snow despite its AWD. A good set of winter tires+2WD trumps seasonal+AWD any day. I've driven my RWD BRZ in Toronto winters for the past 5 years and haven't had issue. There were a few times where we would get a nasty blizzard and taking out any car would be a risk.
Yeah I never had a problem with my Scion tC living in Massachusetts. On the days that it was bad, taking out any car was a problem. The roads are paved here regularly so its never been an issue unless you live out way in the boonies. Most rally racers prefer FWD over AWD anyways for rallying so its not all that bad.

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
Have had a separate set of winter wheels & tires for my fk8 since I've had it - no issues in the snow (through mountain passes, etc.).
AWD is nice, and of course better for traction, but as long as you have proper winter tires on, you'll be good to go. đź‘Ť
Yes, awd is good for drifting in the snow, but FWD with a front diff and snows is very capable, almost boring in snow.

Obscure_Worship

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Honda Civic
granted noone needs rwd or awd but its more fun.
A car that you can exploit the limits of daily is more fun, a car that communicates with loads of feedback is more fun. Doesn't matter which wheels are being driven. My first car was a 70 Roadrunner. RWD. 335 hp 425 lb ft. It would punish you for the smallest mistake. My GSR swapped 97 EJ was way more fun to drive at the limit. 1st gen AWD Turbo Eclipse was faster than both but also the most boring. Depends on your commute and access to backroads etc. Not to mention Honda has really improved FWD limitations with the Type R. Golf R is awd and FK8 CTR beats the NEW Golf R around the Nurburgring by 4 seconds. AWD not the cure all. Go look at Ring records and see how many rwd and awd cars the CTR trounced.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack
So just watched a bunch of GRC reviews since they just came out today. Thomas from Throttle House put it as "the Golf R and GRC should be fearful of the new Type R". Now I'm even more excited for the FL5.
I just watched it and I got the impression that GRC fell somewhat short of my expectations. Maybe I set the bar too high since it’s a GR Yaris that’s gained 400 lbs. Yes, it has 300 hp, but physics.

Sazabi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ
I just watched it and I got the impression that GRC fell somewhat short of my expectations. Maybe I set the bar too high since it’s a GR Yaris that’s gained 400 lbs. Yes, it has 300 hp, but physics.
Yeah I feel the same way.

fredzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sienna, GR86, FL5
So just watched a bunch of GRC reviews since they just came out today. Thomas from Throttle House put it as "the Golf R and GRC should be fearful of the new Type R". Now I'm even more excited for the FL5.
To be fair I think he was specifically talking about the interior. And I agree.. GRC is a wet fart interior wise vs Type R.

I was expecting lots of tail-out shenanigans fun with GRC to be one of its big draws over the Type R but it seems maybe they’ll behave much more similarly.

citrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CZ4A, Abarth 500, ZZW30, ND2 RF
Savagegeese also said "read between the lines" in comparing against FL5. Looks like the general opinion so far was "okay, pretty good."

I was expecting lots of tail-out shenanigans fun with GRC to be one of its big draws over the Type R but it seems maybe they’ll behave much more similarly.
I was gonna give every video coming out UMC a pass, since it was pretty hot and all the cars were running all day on probably the same sets of tires, so you can't really expect the best performance. But then to hear TH say the same about "tameness" in cooler, wetter weather up north just confirms it. I'm a little underwhelmed that "safe" seemed to be big theme repeated in a lot of impressions. I hoped that GRC would outdo the Evo, but it looks like that's not the case.

RoidRage

First Name
NA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Car
The GRC beat the FK8 LE around Throttle Houses track with inferior tires and suspension & destroyed the MK8 golf R manual. If anything I think they over delivered.

Am I missing something? I don't think the GR Yaris beat the FK8 let alone the LE on any track (could be wrong here). Weight means nothing (execution means everything), if it did the R35 GTR wouldn't have smashed all the supercars in its release generation.
Sponsored