• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Type R at MSRP

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
This is what I'm starting to realize. The more I read, and think about it, If I can get them down to a solid $5k over, then i think I'm going to go ahead and go that way. Especially if they're willing to transfer the boost blue from another store (which they said they would.

Thanks again for the advice everyone! First time buying a new car after covid, and I'm learning how the market works.
Make sure that if they will transfer from another dealer. That they use a transport and not a salesman to drive the car down. Or you will get a very beat car when it comes in. If you can be at the dealer when it arrives even better to confirm that they indeed used the transport.
Sponsored

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Yeah! 💯 It’s definitely a different world now vs pre-pandemic when buying a car. In the “What do you regret” thread, I listed : Not being more prepared to deal with my dealership, as pretty much my only regret. I hadn’t bought a new car since fall 2019, so I was pretty clueless to the way the “game” is now played. It would’ve saved unnecessary frustration and miscommunication had I known better. You’re getting ahead of all that and getting great advice from several folks here. You’ll do well. :)

crepr12

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 ITS BlackonBlack
Sent: Monday, September 18, 2023 11:19 AM
To: email deleted by me
Subject: Civic Type R Inquiry

Hello name with held by me,

The Civic Type R is available for purchase at the moment, but test drives are not offered on this model.
We currently have an agreement with a customer on the vehicle, but we are open to a better offer on it.

Please let me know if you are interested. If you'd like to call me for more info my cell number is 000-800-0000

Thank you

This is a email I got today....smmfh

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R

The Civic Type R is available for purchase at the moment, but test drives are not offered on this model.
We currently have an agreement with a customer on the vehicle, but we are open to a better offer on it.

Please let me know if you are interested. If you'd like to call me for more info my cell number is 000-800-0000

Thank you

So when you agree to terms they look for a better offer from someone else? This is not a dealership you want to do business with. Pass. On to the next one.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link

Thank you

That sounds like a money grab, walk away. They want to create a sense of urgency to see if you bite.

22Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si

Thank you

I'd respond back with

Hello sales guy,

I've been around long enough to cherish and value some qualities, namely trust and loyalty.

These are qualities that differentiate men from cowards. Qualities you cannot buy. I've shown my willingness to make a purchase, you've demonstrated your inability to honor your word or a deal with a "customer." If this is how you treated the other buyer, I understand how you'll treat me once we have an "agreement."

Thank You,

I'd send that shit to all the managers and owner there too. I have more respect for the dealer that openly discloses Msrp. Rather than the slimly fcks that play games, making folks drive hours and then mention the 10k Msrp.

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Wow that's slimy--take your business elsewhere, because they'll do the same kind of thing to you.

The part about not allowing test drives doesn't surprise me though. I didn't get to drive the one I bought until we were ~30 minutes out from signing, and even then, they were admittedly concerned about the number of miles I was putting on it. Test drive miles give a customer leverage, and the dealerships want to limit customer leverage as much as possible post-Covid, especially on desirable models.

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
This just means they have a verbal agreement or commitment from a buyer which is nothing. That's on the buyer to get the agreement in writing. The car likely hasn't even been allocated yet.

KidIcarus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FXT
This just means they have a verbal agreement or commitment from a buyer which is nothing. That's on the buyer to get the agreement in writing. The car likely hasn't even been allocated yet.
It's also likely BS and they dont have an actual buyer, they're probably just trying feel out how desperate a buyer is.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
Wow that's slimy--take your business elsewhere, because they'll do the same kind of thing to you.

The part about not allowing test drives doesn't surprise me though. I didn't get to drive the one I bought until we were ~30 minutes out from signing, and even then, they were admittedly concerned about the number of miles I was putting on it. Test drive miles give a customer leverage, and the dealerships want to limit customer leverage as much as possible post-Covid, especially on desirable models.
I understand the not allowing test drives piece. That's been somewhat common in my experience over the years buying performance vehicles. I believe most of us purchased the car without a test drive and/or without seeing it in person.

Everything else in their reply is nonsense. No need to dignify that e-mail with a substantive response. Just respond, "No thank you!" and move on. There's no need to be an asshole or get into a back-and-forth. FYI - Frontline sales staff are not responsible for setting pricing strategies for the dealership. If a fight is what you're after, you're taking it up with the wrong people.

crepr12

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 ITS BlackonBlack
I did move on...Shit I never even ask for a test drive, I have purchased Vettes and my GT-R without ever driving either....I just cant get over the greed...I like the CTR but not for above MSRP...so I may just move along and find another worthy daily driver....Huge difference between need and want for me.

OP
OP

Rocketja15

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrx STI, 1988 Supra
Just an update, I went by the dealership yesterday, and the guy I originally talked to was supposedly gone for the day (said the salesman), but that guy walked up around 15 minutes later. That's a bit odd but I digress...

Me and the salesguy talked, and he kept throwing BS at me, like how there's only 10 in the country (I know that's not true, there are like 40 listed on autotrader), how the factory is only making 10 more this year (makes no sense), etc. but I eventually got them down to $7k over MSRP (he tried to do 8, but I was told 7 a few days before). Then I mentioned that I'd like the boost blue one in the network. He called his GM and they said that it would be $3k extra for the color, and $1k extra to have it hauled instead of driven here (which I understand, hauling is expensive). I know $3k for the color is BS, as Honda charges an extra $450 or $500 for the color. I understand them not wanting to transfer a car from another dealer, but adding $3,000?! Then he started trying to move me to the white one in the showroom, talking about "After you tint it out, those red seats will look really good with that white, I really don't think the red seats go with the blue" etc. etc. So I had them do a soft credit check, and when I told them how much I make, they looked at me like I tried to shoot them (I'm 20 years old and I'm not rich, but a type R is something I can afford). Then they went on trying to push me to something else, and at that point I decided I didn't want a type R that bad. As much as I love the car, I never got the chance to test drive it, and It's not worth a hard credit check just to test drive it, when I know I'll never do business with this dealer again.

TL;DR: My local dealer is more slimy than I thought, apparently you have to make $85k/year for them to like you, and I'll buy another Subaru before I deal with them (unless they come WAY down on price in the future). For now I'll continue my search for a Type R at or near MSRP (specifically blue, black, or grey) and see what I can find.

I'd love to have the chance to own one of these cars, but the entire point in me staying local (besides wanting to stay local, and keep money in our local area) was they were only $5-$7k over, where everyone else was at least $10k over MSRP. But with the $4k extra for boost blue and shipping, plus their $7k markup, I might as well go to the dealers with boost blue in stock, and pay the $10k extra over MSRP as it comes out to the same price, if not cheaper!

Sorry for the rant, I just can't describe how much I hate car dealers (besides our local Chrysler dealer, they're actually great), and this really makes me question if the effort is worth it to find a Type R.

ABPDE5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type-S
Just an update, I went by the dealership yesterday, and the guy I originally talked to was supposedly gone for the day (said the salesman), but that guy walked up around 15 minutes later. That's a bit odd but I digress...

Me and the salesguy talked, and he kept throwing BS at me, like how there's only 10 in the country (I know that's not true, there are like 40 listed on autotrader), how the factory is only making 10 more this year (makes no sense), etc. but I eventually got them down to $7k over MSRP (he tried to do 8, but I was told 7 a few days before). Then I mentioned that I'd like the boost blue one in the network. He called his GM and they said that it would be $3k extra for the color, and $1k extra to have it hauled instead of driven here (which I understand, hauling is expensive). I know $3k for the color is BS, as Honda charges an extra $450 or $500 for the color. I understand them not wanting to transfer a car from another dealer, but adding $3,000?! Then he started trying to move me to the white one in the showroom, talking about "After you tint it out, those red seats will look really good with that white, I really don't think the red seats go with the blue" etc. etc. So I had them do a soft credit check, and when I told them how much I make, they looked at me like I tried to shoot them (I'm 20 years old and I'm not rich, but a type R is something I can afford). Then they went on trying to push me to something else, and at that point I decided I didn't want a type R that bad. As much as I love the car, I never got the chance to test drive it, and It's not worth a hard credit check just to test drive it, when I know I'll never do business with this dealer again.

TL;DR: My local dealer is more slimy than I thought, apparently you have to make $85k/year for them to like you, and I'll buy another Subaru before I deal with them (unless they come WAY down on price in the future). For now I'll continue my search for a Type R at or near MSRP (specifically blue, black, or grey) and see what I can find.

I'd love to have the chance to own one of these cars, but the entire point in me staying local (besides wanting to stay local, and keep money in our local area) was they were only $5-$7k over, where everyone else was at least $10k over MSRP. But with the $4k extra for boost blue and shipping, plus their $7k markup, I might as well go to the dealers with boost blue in stock, and pay the $10k extra over MSRP as it comes out to the same price, if not cheaper!

Sorry for the rant, I just can't describe how much I hate car dealers (besides our local Chrysler dealer, they're actually great), and this really makes me question if the effort is worth it to find a Type R.
Just move on from that dealer. There are so many red flags there. I wouldn't buy anything from them after that experience... new Type-R, used CR-V, mint S2k -- anything.

Any business that treats you with disrespect doesn't deserve your money, regardless of how coveted their product is. Charging an ADM due to demand is one thing (as much as I despise it); treating customers dishonestly and disrespectfully is another.

Last edited:

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link

yeah screw those guys. If the numbers work they should not be doing this. But it also depends on credit and how much you are financing for the car. Those ADM’s have to be paid in cash since most banks won’t finance over 110% over the value of the car.
Sponsored