• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Type R at MSRP

Rocketja15

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrx STI, 1988 Supra
I've seen "the" thread about where to find a new Type R at MSRP, but it seems to have gone way off track, and not been updated in a while. I'm located in West Tennessee, and I can't find anyone anywhere near that will sell a new Type R (preferably boost blue) at, or near MSRP. Closest I've found is a local dealer will do 5-7k over msrp, but no better.
Anyone in or near TN found a dealer that'll sell a Type R at a decent price? I'm willing to travel if needed.
Sponsored

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
I've seen "the" thread about where to find a new Type R at MSRP, but it seems to have gone way off track, and not been updated in a while. I'm located in West Tennessee, and I can't find anyone anywhere near that will sell a new Type R (preferably boost blue) at, or near MSRP. Closest I've found is a local dealer will do 5-7k over msrp, but no better.
Anyone in or near TN found a dealer that'll sell a Type R at a decent price? I'm willing to travel if needed.
5k markup will probably be the best you can find in a reasonable time. Msrp you will take a lot of time to find it and you will waste your time in a lot of dealerships.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Yeah, MSRP is not a regular thing yet…and might never be. Those who got theirs at MSRP were either lucky or have an outstanding relationship with their dealership or both.

Turbonium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93' EG B18C
Lol msrp, you're funny.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I bought mine at 1k over msrp. But it was a fluke by chance with 2 more orders placed by friends for 5k markup each. It was the only way I could secure it.

CaryH

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 touring 2.0T, 2005 Toyota 4runner SR5, 2012 c
msrp is not happining buddy,

22Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si
I haven't seen one, honestly it's really hard to even get a Si at MSRP. All the Rs I've seen are 10k or more. If you found the color you like and it's 5k. See if you can talk them lower on the 5k.

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
If you're not in a hurry, figure out how far you're willing to travel and get your name on the list of every dealership within that radius that sells strictly at MSRP.

Understandably, these are going to be the dealerships with the longest waiting lists, because anyone who wants a Type-R would love to get it without a markup. Don't let the length of the list discourage you too much, they're lists of potential buyers, not guaranteed buyers. I got my Type-R at Roush Honda in Westerville, Ohio at MSRP in August and the sales manager was pretty transparent in saying they've had 8-12 people pass on each allocation they've sold (~6). People change their minds, financial situations change, and anything can happen.

If you're not willing to wait it out and you're dead set on Boost Blue... I imagine a markup will likely be your penalty. The size of markup will depend on your negotiation skills and the dealership's willingness to negotiate.

OP
OP

Rocketja15

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrx STI, 1988 Supra
If you're not in a hurry, figure out how far you're willing to travel and get your name on the list of every dealership within that radius that sells strictly at MSRP.

Understandably, these are going to be the dealerships with the longest waiting lists, because anyone who wants a Type-R would love to get it without a markup. Don't let the length of the list discourage you too much, they're lists of potential buyers, not guaranteed buyers. I got my Type-R at Roush Honda in Westerville, Ohio at MSRP in August and the sales manager was pretty transparent in saying they've had 8-12 people pass on each allocation they've sold (~6). People change their minds, financial situations change, and anything can happen.

If you're not willing to wait it out and you're dead set on Boost Blue... I imagine a markup will likely be your penalty. The size of markup will depend on your negotiation skills and the dealership's willingness to negotiate.

Thanks man, this is what I was looking for. I knew there were some out there somewhere that would sell at msrp, but I didn't realize they were this scarce (from what I've heard from other replies.

Thanks! I'm going to start calling around to see if there are any dealers within a radius that would sell at msrp. If I can't find a reasonable number, I may just pursue the one at my local dealer.

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I appreciate the advice.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
Your perspective on opportunity cost will guide you in how to proceed. Securing a deal at MSRP is not impossible; however, it's very difficult if you're just now starting your search. If you can get the car at a local dealership for $5K over MSRP, you take the deal IMHO. I realize that's easy to say because it's not my money, but $5K is fair if the car is close to you, you don't have to call every dealership under the sun looking for MSRP-only dealerships, there is no waiting, and potentially having a dealership change terms of the agreement. There's value in enjoying the car now and not some unknown date in the future, if at all. Also, you must consider the cost of ownership will inevitably rise throughout the production cycle.

A quick note on MSRP-only dealerships. There are very few, relative to the total number of Honda dealerships in the United States - ~1,100 last I checked. Also, be advised there can be a difference between MSRP-only dealerships and MSRP-only dealerships on Type Rs. They are not always one and the same.

Last edited:

TW00Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 S2000, 2023 CTR
I agree with what CK said. Part of the negotiation is understanding where the dealership stands and how they perceive or gauge your interest. If you come off as someone who wants it more than them willing to sell, you will not get the deal you want. Moreover, if there is a trade-in involved, be open to making concessions. At least for me personally, I would love to have the highest trade in and no mark up on the CTR, but the dealership runs a business. Make it obvious that you are willing to work out the deal if one party comes out on top of a side of the deal and that you won’t be the sucker at both ends.
I’ve read posts on people going in and doing hardball negotiations or referring themselves as being a d!ck during the process, I don’t see how that’s going to work out in their favor.
Another thing is, if there’s a markup, see what the markup includes. Just don’t let them smell blood. When they do, you lose out.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Your perspective on opportunity cost will guide you in how to proceed. Securing a deal at MSRP is not impossible; however, it's very difficult if you're just now starting your search. If you can get the car at a local dealership for $5K over MSRP, you take the deal IMHO. I realize that's easy to say because it's not my money, but $5K is fair if the car is close to you, you don't have to call every dealership under the sun looking for MSRP-only dealerships, there is no waiting, and potentially having a dealership change terms of the agreement. There's value in enjoying the car now and not some unknown date in the future, if at all. Also, you must consider the cost of ownership will inevitably rise throughout the production cycle.

A quick note on MSRP-only dealerships. There are very few, relative to the total number of Honda dealerships in the United States - ~1,100 last I checked. Also, be advised there can be a difference between MSRP-only dealerships and MSRP-only dealerships on Type Rs. They are not always one and the same.
This and @TW00Si hit it right on the head. Show interest and be willing to make concessions. When I worked out the deal on mine I drove to the dealership 2 hrs away just to see the car and brought my trade so they could see I was serious. Even had the approval for the loan on the car before even walking through the doors. Also if trading in make sure to have equity, its a easier deal to get done and that way they will be willing to work with you. I finaced around 12k for mine so they knew they were not going to get a done deal better than that after the car had been sitting for months in the showroom.

RickyJeezus

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
My two cents on this would be that if it's the car you want, then go ahead and get it. Don't get caught up in the race to see who can get their car the cheapest, especially when you already have the car and are enjoying it while the other guy is still calling every dealership across the country just to find one at $3k over. Also, lets think about the significance of a few thousand dollars...because MSRP is a <1% chance, let's say if you wait it out you can find one for $2-3k over. In comparison to $5k over right now, it is almost not even worth trying to continue the search to save a couple thousand. Of course, this is all relevant if it's the car you really want, because this is never a car someone needs.

OP
OP

Rocketja15

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrx STI, 1988 Supra
My two cents on this would be that if it's the car you want, then go ahead and get it. Don't get caught up in the race to see who can get their car the cheapest, especially when you already have the car and are enjoying it while the other guy is still calling every dealership across the country just to find one at $3k over. Also, lets think about the significance of a few thousand dollars...because MSRP is a <1% chance, let's say if you wait it out you can find one for $2-3k over. In comparison to $5k over right now, it is almost not even worth trying to continue the search to save a couple thousand. Of course, this is all relevant if it's the car you really want, because this is never a car someone needs.
This is what I'm starting to realize. The more I read, and think about it, If I can get them down to a solid $5k over, then i think I'm going to go ahead and go that way. Especially if they're willing to transfer the boost blue from another store (which they said they would.

Thanks again for the advice everyone! First time buying a new car after covid, and I'm learning how the market works.
Sponsored