• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Type R at MSRP

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CW CTR R-12374
So I bought one yesterday. Its kind of a pain.

A bit of a background. I was looking into FL5 back in Jan and most of the local dealer I talked with in Metro Detroit area are asking for 5k(Jim Riehl) or 10k(everyone else) for the car. I didn't talk to all the dealers but thats what was told to me. I have a FK8 so I am not exactly in a hurry but I thought I was basically SOL on probably getting a FL5.

Fast Forward to 2 weeks ago, Page Honda(where I got my FK8, $2k ADM back in 2018) texted me they have a white one in the showroom, the text says "MSRP $45,345+++", I said I'll stop by and talk afterwork and they were were like cool. So I went there, the reception lets me know she was the person I was texting with and a sales will see me now. And I asked the sales if its MSRP, he gave me a chuckle and said its $7k. I turned around and left.

My mental limit was 2-3k, even that was too much but I think I'd do that to just be able to find the car. So that was a bridge too far. Someone at work interested in buying my car for KBB value was looking and told me Serra in Brighton has a white one on the site, so I gave them a call. The sales I spoke with said the car was sold, for $3k over. I was like oh well, add my name to the list and let me know if they get another. Then comes this Monday, Serra called me, said the previous buyer doesn't have the credit and another one on the list ahead of me wants a different color(white), so its my turn. All of a sudden on the spot I wasn't really planning to commit, so I actually turned him down and was thinking I probably won't get it until next year if I even get to that point. Then yesterday just speaking to the guy at work about it, he was like, I'll buy your car tomorrow, then all of a sudden I was like maybe this could work.

Called Serra, the car was still available. Went there afterwork wasn't planning to actually do all the deal and everything and just to put enough money down on it so I can sort of the finances of selling the old car and buy the new one(which btw, was how I got my FK8 from Page, I put a few grands down with them after I called them and they had a car, they just held that for me for a week or so). Then they told me I'd have to run all the financing today and we can put some down payment on credit card or something, I have no cheque book on me. Then afterward(after 5pm, bank was closed) they came back and told me no you HAVE to get the deal done today or the guy also in the showroom running numbers on the SAME CAR will take it, I was there first so I have the priority but if I leave the car is gone. I was like wow if you told me this like 40 mins earlier I can go to the back and get a cheque made now I can't do that. So I ended up have to finance basically the full amount and I have to go to the bank later to refi immediately to get the right principle and actual plan I wan to do.

I didn't like being forced into doing the deal on the spot in a race with another guy.(if that was you sorry). But in the end I guess I have the car, but its what a PITA and people being not flexible is just the worst....

I'll eventually get around to get some picture of it, but I was kinda not in the mood
Sponsored

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
So I bought one yesterday. Its kind of a pain.

A bit of a background. I was looking into FL5 back in Jan and most of the local dealer I talked with in Metro Detroit area are asking for 5k(Jim Riehl) or 10k(everyone else) for the car. I didn't talk to all the dealers but thats what was told to me. I have a FK8 so I am not exactly in a hurry but I thought I was basically SOL on probably getting a FL5.

Fast Forward to 2 weeks ago, Page Honda(where I got my FK8, $2k ADM back in 2018) texted me they have a white one in the showroom, the text says "MSRP $45,345+++", I said I'll stop by and talk afterwork and they were were like cool. So I went there, the reception lets me know she was the person I was texting with and a sales will see me now. And I asked the sales if its MSRP, he gave me a chuckle and said its $7k. I turned around and left.

My mental limit was 2-3k, even that was too much but I think I'd do that to just be able to find the car. So that was a bridge too far. Someone at work interested in buying my car for KBB value was looking and told me Serra in Brighton has a white one on the site, so I gave them a call. The sales I spoke with said the car was sold, for $3k over. I was like oh well, add my name to the list and let me know if they get another. Then comes this Monday, Serra called me, said the previous buyer doesn't have the credit and another one on the list ahead of me wants a different color(white), so its my turn. All of a sudden on the spot I wasn't really planning to commit, so I actually turned him down and was thinking I probably won't get it until next year if I even get to that point. Then yesterday just speaking to the guy at work about it, he was like, I'll buy your car tomorrow, then all of a sudden I was like maybe this could work.

Called Serra, the car was still available. Went there afterwork wasn't planning to actually do all the deal and everything and just to put enough money down on it so I can sort of the finances of selling the old car and buy the new one(which btw, was how I got my FK8 from Page, I put a few grands down with them after I called them and they had a car, they just held that for me for a week or so). Then they told me I'd have to run all the financing today and we can put some down payment on credit card or something, I have no cheque book on me. Then afterward(after 5pm, bank was closed) they came back and told me no you HAVE to get the deal done today or the guy also in the showroom running numbers on the SAME CAR will take it, I was there first so I have the priority but if I leave the car is gone. I was like wow if you told me this like 40 mins earlier I can go to the back and get a cheque made now I can't do that. So I ended up have to finance basically the full amount and I have to go to the bank later to refi immediately to get the right principle and actual plan I wan to do.

I didn't like being forced into doing the deal on the spot in a race with another guy.(if that was you sorry). But in the end I guess I have the car, but its what a PITA and people being not flexible is just the worst....

I'll eventually get around to get some picture of it, but I was kinda not in the mood
so many times they have told me in dealerships that another party is interested. I always say then sell it to him. Iā€™m not in a hurry, its usually bs to get you to buy.

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CW CTR R-12374
Except in this case it was actually the case, the guy was literally there, 10 min after I walked in and they were running numbers at the same time as I was....the manager actually walked over to say you are first in line, but they never actually stopped doing paperwork until when they told me I HAVE to do whatever to get the car then otherwise I lose my turn...

4 people while I was there were asking for the car....

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Except in this case it was actually the case, the guy was literally there, 10 min after I walked in and they were running numbers at the same time as I was....the manager actually walked over to say you are first in line, but they never actually stopped doing paperwork until when they told me I HAVE to do whatever to get the car then otherwise I lose my turn...

4 people while I was there were asking for the car....
It happens, just depends on how bad you want the car. When I bought my TRX it was the same deal I just walked away.

Are you happy with the purchase or do you have any regrets?

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R

Congratulations on getting the car--hopefully it was for the $2k-$3k over MSRP you had in mind?

For everyone else--and no, this isn't me slamming @RacingManiac whatsoever, he got his deal done and it's his business--when a dealership gives you the "we have a sale but we're open to better offers" or "you buy right now or there's a guy over there who will", they do it because they've seen it work. When the market for a product is hot, most dealerships aren't offering any flexibility or courtesies, unfortunately.

Sometimes the dealership is bluffing... but not always. It's a game.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
so many times they have told me in dealerships that another party is interested. I always say then sell it to him. Iā€™m not in a hurry, its usually bs to get you to buy.
Yep. And technically theyā€™re not lying. Thereā€™s always another buyer out thereā€¦somewhere.šŸ¤£

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CW CTR R-12374
TBH its still not sinked in yet, finalizing the deal to sell my FK8 to a friend and I am still autocrossing my old car this weekend for the last time. It'll be a while before I live with the car like normal to know for sure. For now the experience is dominated by the hassle getting the car, but a bit of relief of getting the deal done I guess....

Its a cool car, you can't escape that feeling. And its better than paying 5, 7 or 10 k over I guess....

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
TBH its still not sinked in yet, finalizing the deal to sell my FK8 to a friend and I am still autocrossing my old car this weekend for the last time. It'll be a while before I live with the car like normal to know for sure. For now the experience is dominated by the hassle getting the car, but a bit of relief of getting the deal done I guess....

Its a cool car, you can't escape that feeling. And its better than paying 5, 7 or 10 k over I guess....
I think you will be happy with the switch just give it time.
Congrats on the purchase

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Yep. And technically theyā€™re not lying. Thereā€™s always another buyer out thereā€¦somewhere.šŸ¤£
lol yeah that is true. When I went to buy the TRX they wanted 30K over sticker and I was like you are out of your mind. Then they came with the oh there is another person here for the car so you have to move quickly if you want it.

Ended up going to another dealer, which sold it to me for msrp and let me build it the way I wanted it. So all was good in the end. I sold cars a long time ago and I hated the business and the dealers.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R

I know the feeling. All ended well with obtaining my car too, but there were definitely feelings of shock and bewilderment during and after the process of it. My mind was spinning from it for a day or two too. It was justā€¦not how I expected things to go. Youā€™ll be fine. I think once your FK8 sale is finalized and youā€™ve gotten things straightened out with the financing (with your bank), your mind will settle. Driving your FL5 will also help clear your head.šŸ˜‰

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Me and the salesguy talked, and he kept throwing BS at me, like how there's only 10 in the country (I know that's not true, there are like 40 listed on autotrader), how the factory is only making 10 more this year (makes no sense), etc. but I eventually got them down to $7k over MSRP (he tried to do 8, but I was told 7 a few days before). Then I mentioned that I'd like the boost blue one in the network. He called his GM and they said that it would be $3k extra for the color, and $1k extra to have it hauled instead of driven here (which I understand, hauling is expensive). I know $3k for the color is BS, as Honda charges an extra $450 or $500 for the color. I understand them not wanting to transfer a car from another dealer, but adding $3,000?! Then he started trying to move me to the white one in the showroom, talking about "After you tint it out, those red seats will look really good with that white, I really don't think the red seats go with the blue" etc. etc.

I'd love to have the chance to own one of these cars, but the entire point in me staying local (besides wanting to stay local, and keep money in our local area) was they were only $5-$7k over, where everyone else was at least $10k over MSRP. But with the $4k extra for boost blue and shipping, plus their $7k markup, I might as well go to the dealers with boost blue in stock, and pay the $10k extra over MSRP as it comes out to the same price, if not cheaper!

Sorry for the rant, I just can't describe how much I hate car dealers (besides our local Chrysler dealer, they're actually great), and this really makes me question if the effort is worth it to find a Type R.
Some dealerships are the absolute worst, it's true. Don't try to rationalize it too much, just think of their extra $3,000-$4000 for Boost Blue as a "because we think you want it that badly"-tax. Demand is high, and every sale at MSRP yields a profit. If they can pre-sell a car with a markup on top of a markup? That's FANTASTIC for them from a profit standpoint. Good for you not falling for their pressure and scare tactics. A future buyer might.

Regardless of the markup you pay (if any), I'd recommend you save your money for a dealership (local or not) that treats you in a way that you feel is fair. This thing's a want, not a need. Don't lose sight of that. If/when you give a dealership your money, you're effectively telling them "keep it up, you're doing a good job".

crepr12

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 ITS BlackonBlack

Its done....Now its time to enjoy your new CTR...yeah most likely the dealership played games with you..live long enough it happens...learn from it and move on....

OP
OP

Rocketja15

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrx STI, 1988 Supra
Some dealerships are the absolute worst, it's true. Don't try to rationalize it too much, just think of their extra $3,000-$4000 for Boost Blue as a "because we think you want it that badly"-tax. Demand is high, and every sale at MSRP yields a profit. If they can pre-sell a car with a markup on top of a markup? That's FANTASTIC for them from a profit standpoint. Good for you not falling for their pressure and scare tactics. A future buyer might.

Regardless of the markup you pay (if any), I'd recommend you save your money for a dealership (local or not) that treats you in a way that you feel is fair. This thing's a want, not a need. Don't lose sight of that. If/when you give a dealership your money, you're effectively telling them "keep it up, you're doing a good job".
Exactly. I've found a Chrysler dealer that's treated my and my family well with many vehicles over the years, so we exclusively do business with them if at all possible. Sadly they don't do Honda, or have any branches that do Honda, otherwise I'd so business with them. Either way, I'm staying away from the local Honda dealer if possible after that. I'll drive 3 or 400 miles if I have to. I'm not in a huge hurry, so I'm going to bide my time to see if I can find a better deal, preferably at or close to MSRP.

Thanks again for the advice everyone, when I finally get the car I'm looking for, I'll be sure to update this thread!
Sponsored