• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

What color did you want vs what color you ended up with?

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R (Color: SGP)
Hello everyone,
During the process of buying my FL5 Type R I wanted to buy a Rallye Red one but ended up with a Sonic Grey Pearl because it was a good deal and was relatively close to where I live. Out of curiosity what color did you want and which one did you end up with? I find this topic interesting and I’m sure most of you are on the same boat I am! I now have had mine for 6 months and driven it 4,000 miles.
Sponsored

ScumbagRob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
I had a really hard time deciding on color. I finally realized that it was because, while many of the CTR colors were "very nice", none of them captured me at first sight. There are some colors where the instant I see them, I immediately know that's the color I want (e.g. Kyalami Green RS3, Blazing Orange Pearl Civic Si). The CTR didn't really have any of those colors for me. But that's okay - I think that just means I would be happy in any of the colors (except black).

I started out thinking I wanted CW (for the heritage), then switched to RR (really pops), then to SGP (lower profile, but still beautiful), and ultimately ended up with BB. In the end it was the color I wanted most, and I'm very happy I ended up with it :)

SPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic EX
I wanted white, black, or red because I thought they would have worked best with the red interior. The deal I got was for boost blue and it's a color you need to see in person to fully appreciate. Did not think it would look right against the red interior but its the opposite, the contrast is great.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
I started with Championship White and ended with Championship White. I selected CW for a few reasons:

1. There's nothing more iconic than a red Honda badge on CW paint.
2. It's the only color in the current palette from the original Type R.
3. Since Honda uses a CW Type R as the halo car, when you think of the Type R series CW subconsciously comes to mind.
4. It was the color of the Type R I had on a poster in my room growing up and the color of the Type Rs I would race around the tracks in Gran Turismo as a teenager. The high nostalgic value and heritage were a major draw.

There was a point in time that I very briefly entertained the idea of any color once I realized how difficult the FL5 would be to acquire. The thinking was I'd rather have any color over no color. I quickly moved on from that and stayed the course. I knew I ultimately wouldn't be content settling.

urbo73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
Initially I wanted a CW, but beggars can't be choosers. The only car they had near me (and by that I mean a state away) and that was "only" 5k ADM (negated by my trade-in) and available, was a RR. RR was my second choice anyway, so I went with it.

Now that I've had it, it's become my first choice if I had to do it again. Everyone seems to have CW - the RR pops out more. It's also the most rare, which puts me in the uber-exclusive club of FL5 owners. Knowing I have 1/100 RRs in the US at the moment gives me an enormous sense of entitlement and pride. It's also the only other color outside of CW that Honda uses in videos, websites, and commercials, which gives me huge bragging rights and a huge sense of relief knowing Honda approves of my choice.

Estoril4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatchback Sport Mt, 2017 Toyota 4runner XP, 2014 Audi S4, 2017 CBP Type R
I have a BB slated for delivery in a couple weeks. Originally my color preference was CW, SGP, BB but the only FL5 I've seen so far up close was SGP and just wasn't my style. CW is still my #1 and I've considered poking around for a dealer trade but I think I'll be happy with BB for a while. Black looks too good but I can't own another black type R for my own sanitys sake lol

Bazgab

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
I knew I didn't want black as the upkeep would drive me crazy. I realize CW is THE Type R color but my current car is white so I wanted a change. My first choice was Rallye Red but the few I were able to find had high markups. I don't even like red cars normally but RR looks fantastic on the FL5.

After RR, Boost Blue and Sonic Grey were basically tied for 2nd for me. I was able to make a deal I was happy with on a SGP car on Friday and will be picking up the car in the next few weeks.

dandaman15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 RDX, 2023 Type R
My top two colors were RR and Black. Unfortunately those are also the lowest production colors. SGP was a close third.

I swore off white as color because of past experience with white cars. Birds and bugs around here seemed attracted to the color and it was annoying always cleaning off bird poo. There was one time I parked the car and the entire car was covered by about 3,000 box elder bugs (stink bugs) to the point I needed to climb into the passenger door. I was finding and killing bugs for weeks after that incident.

I ended up with a Championship White FL5.

When seeing it in person and working on the deal I did not want to back out and the car looks great in white. In the end it wasn't enough for me to back away from the deal and I would rather have the Type R than to keep pushing it off in search for one of my preferred colors. After having it for 4 months I really have grow to like it more.

madbikes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
Tend to opt for Grey of some sort for a very long time, so I thought it would be nice to choose a completely different color for a change.

Boost Blue is sharp at first, but seemed too bright unless it's a small car. Everyone wants a lot for Championship White. So I went back to Sonic Grey Pearl.

The color turned out way better than I thought to the point that most video doesn't quite show how does Sonic Grey Pearl supposed to look. I'm happy.

RazgrizOne

First Name
J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
I really wanted one in black, but they didn't offer that to Canadians.

Lack of choices aside I was offered one in CW and like Mr Kent said; "There's nothing more iconic than a red Honda badge on CW paint."

OP
OP
Hot Hatch Hero
First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R (Color: SGP)
I really wanted one in black, but they didn't offer that to Canadians.

Lack of choices aside I was offered one in CW and like Mr Kent said; "There's nothing more iconic than a red Honda badge on CW paint."
I didn’t even know Canada had less colors than the US. I looked on the builder and it appears you guys do not get boost blue either. I find that really odd because you guys always get the good stuff when it comes to hot hatchbacks! More colors and options for the golf r (MK7-7.5), same with the Veloster N.

CTRifecta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Like many have said, beggars can't be choosers. Just be happy you're getting a CTR for a reasonable deal.

Personally I wanted CW because of the heritage and launch color, but have been enjoying BB.

MrB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000, Nissan Skyline R33 GTR
I asked for white and they gave me black. It was definitely my solid second choice out of the five options and is starting to grow on me more and more now. I love it.

Samurai1225

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I really kind of liked Championship White because of the heritage. The truth is I wasn't really looking to buy a FL5 until perusing my local Honda dealership inventory and saw that they had a CW FL5. So in the end I have my preferred color although I probably would have bought any color they had.
Sponsored