• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

OP
OP

savagegeese

First Name
Savagegeese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R
To
@savagegeese thanks for the great review video! Could you maybe speak to who the GR Corolla would be better for and who the Type R would be better for? I know you touched on the Type R feeling more edgy and quick, but was wondering if you had noticed any other major differences in character?
To be fair to the Corolla it was basically vaporware when it launched. Toyota barely even got the press cars for the event and few were really early pre production cars. Not even enough cars for all the people there to drive and the track config they had us on was so nerf. You could go foot to the floor 90% of the time I had to purposely force it to get completely loaded up at high speed (80MPH)and lift off to get it oversteer. It was a car that was very understeer prone in every mode in fast driving.

I said to Toyota what the F is with all your marketing, like the Larry Chen videos of that thing power drifting, because that's nothing that car ever does. You can't break rear end loose on any dry pavement under power. The chief engineer basically said the Yaris was the fun short wheel base car that you can flick around and it rotates. The Corolla because it's longer, larger the goal was safety, stability and ease to drive.

So while it has AWD which in my approximation makes it an amazing all season car if you got it for 35k. That's the MAX I'd pay for it. It feels more like a shit box compared to the Type R. The seats are flimsy the interior is very dated right now and the human and cargo capacity make it a harder sell as a primary fun car. Again at 35k sure. But when you push 45k no way.

I drove all the versions of the Corolla. The Akio version was the best on track, (tires, stiffness etc.) But after driving it for 30 min I was over it. The other big thing that kills it for me is while 3 cyl sounds better than Type R. Engine power fell off big time with heat soak and was not eager to rev to redline like K20.

Is the Type R 10k better than Corolla, yes. But, I could see GR being a blast in winter and bad weather where the Type R will always be FWD with no manual parking brake like Corolla.
Sponsored

FreshFL5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Thanks for sharing your thoughts @savagegeese. Great to see you on the forums rather than just the current forms of comms (YouTube, social media, etc). Looking forward to following your experience as an owner.

Anything you can share about what you’ll be working on with Mugen? Or is that top secret for now 😆

giger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FD2
We quibble over a 10k markup, while a Porsche buyer is adding 10k of options to a Macan for contrasting stitching, kick plates and 360 cameras.
Genuine question from the UK - do you ever see any of that markup back when you sell? If you spec a car with options correctly you can really add to the residuals and desirability - surely the markup is just lost?

OGGsr

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PWP 2022 Civic Si
This is a different kind of question but it applies to all new Honda/Acura owners- why aren't there any parts diagrams and numbers that are browsable/searchable for most MY2022 models, and should we expect to see them at some point? Everybody has their favorite Honda parts website, whether it be bernardiparts.com, hondapartsnow.com, alldiscountparts.com, etc., but none of them show parts for the 2022+ Civic, only the Insight, Odyssey, and MDX. I'm sure if you have a part number, you can order it, but being able to research the part number on your own and determine fitment without having to contact a dealer is a huge benefit for the backyard mechanic. I'm assuming the reason is COVID/supply chain related, but I would like to hear a corporate response.

savagegeese- thanks for all that you do, and keep doing what you're doing!
I've been wondering about this as well. I've had my Si for a year now and have been checking Majestic Honda and other online part vendors and all of them don't have their searchable part diagrams available yet. I hope they do at some point.

ElDuder

First Name
El
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Genuine question from the UK - do you ever see any of that markup back when you sell? If you spec a car with options correctly you can really add to the residuals and desirability - surely the markup is just lost?
No, the markup is simply money down the drain.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
To

To be fair to the Corolla it was basically vaporware when it launched. Toyota barely even got the press cars for the event and few were really early pre production cars. Not even enough cars for all the people there to drive and the track config they had us on was so nerf. You could go foot to the floor 90% of the time I had to purposely force it to get completely loaded up at high speed (80MPH)and lift off to get it oversteer. It was a car that was very understeer prone in every mode in fast driving.

I said to Toyota what the F is with all your marketing, like the Larry Chen videos of that thing power drifting, because that's nothing that car ever does. You can't break rear end loose on any dry pavement under power. The chief engineer basically said the Yaris was the fun short wheel base car that you can flick around and it rotates. The Corolla because it's longer, larger the goal was safety, stability and ease to drive.

So while it has AWD which in my approximation makes it an amazing all season car if you got it for 35k. That's the MAX I'd pay for it. It feels more like a shit box compared to the Type R. The seats are flimsy the interior is very dated right now and the human and cargo capacity make it a harder sell as a primary fun car. Again at 35k sure. But when you push 45k no way.

I drove all the versions of the Corolla. The Akio version was the best on track, (tires, stiffness etc.) But after driving it for 30 min I was over it. The other big thing that kills it for me is while 3 cyl sounds better than Type R. Engine power fell off big time with heat soak and was not eager to rev to redline like K20.

Is the Type R 10k better than Corolla, yes. But, I could see GR being a blast in winter and bad weather where the Type R will always be FWD with no manual parking brake like Corolla.
Appreciate the honesty. Need more journalists with your attitude. They’re so worried about saying negative things and not being invited to future events.

The GR Corolla is an interesting car. It's the modern STI. Conspiracy theory: did Toyota executives discontinue the STI to prevent competition? Shame about modern emissions basically cancelled the STI.

While the GR Corolla isn't as fun and nimble as the GR Yaris, Toyota is heading in the right direction. Given the Corolla platform, it was probably the best they could do without going way over budget. It'll be interesting to see the next GR86/BRZ though. Rumor is Subaru isn't going to be part of that project anymore, and it'll be on a Toyota platform.

Last edited:

citrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CZ4A, Abarth 500, ZZW30, ND2 RF
To

Thank you for the insight! Almost makes me feel like I'd just be better off enjoying my Evo. Kinda the best of both worlds, save for the lack of a hatch.

The GR Corolla is an interesting car. It's the modern STI. Conspiracy theory: did Toyota executives discontinue the STI to prevent competition? Shame about modern emissions basically cancelled the STI.
GRC forum talked about this a lot. This wasn't a coordinated move between Toyota and Subaru https://www.grcorollaforum.com/thre...e-anything-to-do-with-toyota’s-gr-corolla.399

OP
OP

savagegeese

First Name
Savagegeese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
@savagegeese, looks like you just picked up your FL5. I'm waiting for a video where you show us how to remove the strut pin to get that -1.2 camber and turn this into a track beast.

Also is that 90 degree valve stem a gimmick? Looks like some real motorsport technology right there.

Estoril4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatchback Sport Mt, 2017 Toyota 4runner XP, 2014 Audi S4, 2017 CBP Type R
@savagegeese off topic I know, but your thoughts on the integra type S announcement? Seems to be a type R but heavier, and softer suspension wise. Seems like it may be easier to get on a list..

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
Curious what vehicles are alternatives to the TypeS(5 passenger I hope).
Need the following: 5 passenger, hatch preferred, under 60k, manual preferred, fun on back roads.

OP
OP

savagegeese

First Name
Savagegeese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R
@savagegeese off topic I know, but your thoughts on the integra type S announcement? Seems to be a type R but heavier, and softer suspension wise. Seems like it may be easier to get on a list..
I talked with the Acura folks about it. They would not say much, so I don't want to make any assumptions. But I don't see the Japanese allowing them to make a near clone of the Type R using same parts. I hope I am wrong.

OP
OP

savagegeese

First Name
Savagegeese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R
Curious what vehicles are alternatives to the TypeS(5 passenger I hope).
Need the following: 5 passenger, hatch preferred, under 60k, manual preferred, fun on back roads.
Only car that really comes to mind is Golf R, and I know it can be had at MSRP or under. That car is a rocket.

Jigalo

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
328i
I know they aren’t really a comparison but with the Type R being 55k with markups, would you take a m240i over the Type R since it’s similar price points?
Sponsored