• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Rainy4s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VA WRX STI,
1.7 bar is not a peak boost, 1.83 is, the record car hit 1.7 bar less or more on 4th&5th gear short straight acceleration with higher frequency like in Breidscheid and FuKeselchen while L'argus 's only reached 1.46 bar max in the same area. But actually, that's a good point, do you remember how hot it is or how cold it is when you hit different boost pressure? The ambient temp has 8°c difference between L'argus and Record Car
Sponsored

Last edited:

Civiz

First Name
Linton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wilkis
The FK8 was very likely configured in a very similar light-weighted fashion. It had a roll cage in it too (and rear seat removed?), if I recall correctly. It was certainly not a stock Touring car with AC, etc. I’d have to dig up info and videos to be sure. But, that’s why I say the Suzuka records are perhaps the most apples-to-apples comparison we’ll get. We know that Honda tested both cars at Suzuka under the best possible and controlled conditions. The result is that the FL5 is faster, despite not knowing all the details.
A reasonably key difference here.

1. Honda claimed fk8 was same weight. They deleted rear seats, but added roll cage for eg.
2. Nurburging Fk8 was sold essentially under the same weight and name globally.
3. Nurburging Fl5 will not be sold under the same name and weight like standard fl5 given the details; and unlike fk8, A/C, etc is missing. Nurburging Fl5 is a "special edition", to be sold in select regions.

Civiz

First Name
Linton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wilkis
For what it is worth...

There is a "notary" who inspects the run as well as the vehicle before making it official. So differences there may be... It seems to be within the rules for achieving an official time.

https://www.nuerburgring.de/info/nuerburgring/records
A separate flavour of fl5 developed for Nurburgring given the data.

So it may have been likely that standard fl5 couldn't quite zero in on the record, and Honda opted to spend some more cash in testing/tracking that extra flavour/special edition.

Civiz

First Name
Linton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wilkis
Is there someone else, on this broken world, who get goose bumps watching a 2023 FWD Type-R trail-braking sideways into 200 km/h corners, like the good old days? :rolleyes1:

All this social media chit-chatting on pointless point-zero-two-more-boost is gross.
both fl5 and fk8 can do that

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
FK8 is a great car. No one is arguing that. Is it better than the FL5? No. Is it worse than the FL5? No. So…why do some people still have their pitchforks out?🤷‍♂️

Thinking about it more, Honda is avenging the FK8, due to the way Renault took the record with the Megane RS Trophy-R. The Megane was a very limited car basically built for the N-Ring ; It was virtually vaporware! We all know this. It seems to me that Honda said, “OK, we can play that game too and we’ll take the record back.”

We’re in the same Honda family. Why is anyone angry with the result of the N-Ring run? Do you work for Renault or own a Megane? 🤣 A win for the FL5 is a win for the FK8. They’re so similar in performance. The trophy is back on our mantle! Enjoy! Be happy!

Last edited:

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
A win for the FL5 is a win for the FK8. They’re so similar in performance. The trophy is back on our mantle! Enjoy! Be happy!
Exactly. I don't think anyone is angry that the FL5 has the new record over the Megane, they just want to be sure, to avoid the embarrassment of being called out later. That's like being happy a stranger won a competition, over your brother or sister. We're all rooting for the CTR.

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
FK8 is a great car. No one is arguing that. Is it better than the FL5? No. Is it worse than the FL5? No. So…why do some people still have their pitchforks out?🤷‍♂️

Thinking about it more, Honda is avenging the FK8, due to the way Renault took the record with the Megane RS Trophy-R. The Megane was a very limited car basically built for the N-Ring ; It was virtually vaporware! We all know this. It seems to me that Honda said, “OK, we can play that game too and we’ll take the record back.”

We’re in the same Honda family. Why is anyone angry with the result of the N-Ring run? Do you work for Renault or own a Megane? 🤣 A win for the FL5 is a win for the FK8. They’re so similar in performance. The trophy is back on our mantle! Enjoy! Be happy!
FL5 is better.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
FL5 is better.
Dude. Seriously. LOL!🤣🤣🤣

Do I personally like the FL5 better? Yes. Did Honda make technical/mechanical and ergonomic improvements to it over the FK8? Yes. Still…performance wise, they’re soooooo close. I could easily see one winning on certain tracks and the other winning on certain tracks. They’re like competitive siblings…VERY similar to AP1 vs AP2 S2000.

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Dude. Seriously. LOL!🤣🤣🤣

Do I personally like the FL5 better? Yes. Did Honda make technical/mechanical and ergonomic improvements to it over the FK8? Yes. Still…performance wise, they’re soooooo close. I could easily see one winning on certain tracks and the other winning on certain tracks. They’re like competitive siblings…VERY similar to AP1 vs AP2 S2000.
Lol..

Do not allow tact to stand in your way!

You literally just explained how it's better.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
If you read my posts, I tend to be reasonable and logical.😎

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 #1348 (Sold), FL5 #682
I'm guessing here, and it's probably all wrong, but: :nixon:

I think for months, the FL5 have come close to beating the Ring record for FWD, but were unsucessful in clocking better than the Megan Trophy R. However, I do believe the standard FL5 were able to beat the FK8's time, but why would Honda announce beating the FK8, but not beating the record. It would just signal they've (Honda) have failed the overall mission/objective in recapturing the Ring record for FWD car. Now, it's back to the drawing board for Honda, so they've "pushed" back to Spring.

Meanwhile, Honda continues to test and develop to find ways to better the track time. Now, if you guys read thru a couple of my previous post, y'all should get the tone that I'm calling BULLSHIT on just loosing a few pound and vralaa, Ring time falls? if the alterations did include wheels, than I'd probably believe it, but negative, no forged wheels mentioned. If that was just loosing a few pounds, did Honda really need to wait till Spring? Prolly not?!? Look, I'ma come out straight and say, there are probably truth to the Misha post. Now we wait for Honda to response, or release the full specs for the S-Grade.

When the full spec for the S-Grade gets release, there be more to sieve thru. If the spec suggest gearing and turbo boost are revised for the S-grade, than I believe Honda did get busted and owns up to it, and a few lucky euro enthesis will be happy as hell. Or Honda can always play the "you think what you want game", by simply releasing the same info we already have. If Honda goes this route, than I don't really know if the truth will come out. The best when someone does take delivery of an S-Grade and testing begins. Even then, testing conditions and traffic may not allow an un-interrupted test run.

I still love the shit out of my FL5, and will try to hold on for a very long time...

ok, let the :bonk: begin 😁

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Except the slight hit in hatch space and the minimal increase in weight, the newer CTR is objectively better all around. It should be, as it's newer. The exterior look and interior styling are the only areas dependent on one's preference.

Last edited:

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I'm guessing here, and it's probably all wrong, but: :nixon:

I think for months, the FL5 have come close to beating the Ring record for FWD, but were unsucessful in clocking better than the Megan Trophy R. However, I do believe the standard FL5 were able to beat the FK8's time, but why would Honda announce beating the FK8, but not beating the record. It would just signal they've (Honda) have failed the overall mission/objective in recapturing the Ring record for FWD car. Now, it's back to the drawing board for Honda, so they've "pushed" back to Spring.

Meanwhile, Honda continues to test and develop to find ways to better the track time. Now, if you guys read thru a couple of my previous post, y'all should get the tone that I'm calling BULLSHIT on just loosing a few pound and vralaa, Ring time falls? if the alterations did include wheels, than I'd probably believe it, but negative, no forged wheels mentioned. If that was just loosing a few pounds, did Honda really need to wait till Spring? Prolly not?!? Look, I'ma come out straight and say, there are probably truth to the Misha post. Now we wait for Honda to response, or release the full specs for the S-Grade.

When the full spec for the S-Grade gets release, there be more to sieve thru. If the spec suggest gearing and turbo boost are revised for the S-grade, than I believe Honda did get busted and owns up to it, and a few lucky euro enthesis will be happy as hell. Or Honda can always play the "you think what you want game", by simply releasing the same info we already have. If Honda goes this route, than I don't really know if the truth will come out. The best when someone does take delivery of an S-Grade and testing begins. Even then, testing conditions and traffic may not allow an un-interrupted test run.

I still love the shit out of my FL5, and will try to hold on for a very long time...

ok, let the :bonk: begin 😁
Exactly. I'm sure they were able to beat the FK8's time, but were ambivalent in claiming anything until they found a way to take out the Megane as well for the full production FWD title (there's still that Chinese car with double the power, but not really production). I can understand them wanting to stay silent rather than brag about the second fastest production FWD car, hence they came out with the S-Grade.

Even if the S-Grade were available in the US, still wouldn't be interested, as I like to have my A/C and music. The same way I preferred my AP1 over the CR for the 9k rpm redline and the on-demand roof (did the next best thing and installed the full CR suspension and essentially made it close to the Japanese Type S spec). :cool:

Still think they should have called it the "Type R S-Zero" or the "Type R-Zero" instead of the "S-Grade", as an homage to the original NSX trim. :)

Last edited:

Ic@ns33urhrt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A car
Whether all this is true or not. Still a great run. FL 5 was about 2 seconds faster around VIR than the FK8 LE. Supposedly the fastest time of any fwd car around VIR. VIR is nicknamed the little nurburgring. According to Car and driver. I think thats who it was. What do I know. 🤷🏽‍♂️
Sponsored