• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

rui

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EG6, AP1, FL5
I'm glad to have the option too, which is why im comparing them and weighting the pros and cons. I think the Type S looks great. Are the fenders a deal breaker? No, not really, but it is a comparison to make vs the Type R.

The "added thousands to the MSRP" part is what has me curious. The Type R has fully integrated fenders, so presumably the price we see already has this "thousands" added into the MSRP. Does not having full integrated fenders but better equipment mean that the Type S and Type R will actually be a lot closer in price than we think? Thats what I want to know now
The cost of manufacturing unique body parts is not in the parts themselves, but in the tooling. Tooling for a large piece like a rear fender is very expensive.

Now, remember that the ITS is AFAIK an NA-only car, while the CTR is a world car that will sell in much higher volume. The tooling cost will therefore be spread over a large number of cars. That's economies of scale for you.

The lack of economies of scale for the ITS can be seen in a few details. The rear fenders and the seats are two obvious examples. It's still a cool car. I certainly wouldn't kick one out of the garage...
Sponsored

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
I'm glad to have the option too, which is why im comparing them and weighting the pros and cons. I think the Type S looks great. Are the fenders a deal breaker? No, not really, but it is a comparison to make vs the Type R.

The "added thousands to the MSRP" part is what has me curious. The Type R has fully integrated fenders, so presumably the price we see already has this "thousands" added into the MSRP. Does not having full integrated fenders but better equipment mean that the Type S and Type R will actually be a lot closer in price than we think? Thats what I want to know now
Again, I wasn't in the room so I definitely can't tell you why they made the decision. I like the comment about the economies of scale; there probably will be more CTRs as they will be spread out across the globe.

Also, the Integra's fenders look more aggressive. The Civic is far more subtle (to balance out the wing???). I think it might just be that simple- they evaluated what they could accomplish aesthetically vs manufacturing cost of several body panels, and made a call. End of the day, functionally, it makes no difference. If it's an aggressive look, maybe the subtle curves like what the Civic has just weren't what they were after, and this actually made more sense.

In any case, I think it's not a worthy thing to even think about, because it looks fantastic, and I want one lol. More than a CTR at this point. Hopefully that works out without an ADM, but I don't care if they were the same, or the civic was less. I truly love the CTR, but assuming the driving dynamics aren't substantially different, I'll take the ITS. In white with black interior please.

Kalize

First Name
Kal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 M3, 2009 128i, 2019 Q7, 2022 WRX
Interesting note:
People think the ITS will be mass produced compared to the so called “limited” CTR? Really?

the CTR is a world car
the ITS is a N/A car
so if you add up the total worldwide production numbers of each, they would be the same. 🤪

SKINNIE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ISF, 23' BB FL5
The more I look at the ITS. I'm thinking about trading in my FL5 for it😂

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
The thing is, there’s no “bad” choice here. They’re both great cars! I have an FL5, but I’d definitely give an ITS the thumbs up if I cross paths with one. And if you never intend on taking either car to the track, the ITS is perhaps the better of the two as a daily driver anyway. If I was in the market and had to “resort” to getting an ITS…man…talk about first world problems! The car is great. Don’t let the naysayers try to convince you otherwise. The key is to get the car that makes you most happy…and it could simply be the one that’s available vs the one that isn’t.

Again, seems like a win win situation to me either way, unless you’re a major Honda head and MUST have the FL5. How many here actually feel that way? Maybe 50% at most? Lots of people here have been cross shopping since the FL5 came out. Now they have the option to cross shop basically the same car but with a different name.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
There's murmurings about the initial batch of cars to hit dealer inventories will be limited in what spec they'll come in. Word is that color combos will be very specific; e.g., if I wanted a white car it would only be available with red interior.

If that's the case, I'll pass until I can get one configured the way I want it. I'm thinking that would be fall at least, probably into winter or next spring.

That's a long time. I could easily see demand for the FL5 staying nuclear hot until the ITS becomes readily available, which in all likelihood is a year or so out.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
There's murmurings about the initial batch of cars to hit dealer inventories will be limited in what spec they'll come in.
I had a cat who had a heart murmur. She didn’t know anything about cars, but I’d trust her over any internet stranger with a keyboard.🤣

SP R KiD

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BB CTR, 2022 Honda CRV, 2022 Ford F150
Interesting note:
People think the ITS will be mass produced compared to the so called “limited” CTR? Really?

the CTR is a world car
the ITS is a N/A car
so if you add up the total worldwide production numbers of each, they would be the same. 🤪
I worked at the Marysville Auto plant (currently at the east liberty plant as a quality engineer) and have some references over there. Don't take these numbers literally, but I've heard from some people involved in production that they might only be producing roughly 60 a month, which isn't all that wild considering they will be running integra, ITS, TLX, and TLX type S, on one line.

Negitoro7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Winter beater currently
Would be awesome if Honda/Acura price it exactly the same as the CTR as a big FU to the ADM.
That would be incredible, and as a daily driver that I wouldn’t mind racking up mileage on, I would take the Integra Type S over the CTR for the same money.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I worked at the Marysville Auto plant (currently at the east liberty plant as a quality engineer) and have some references over there. Don't take these numbers literally, but I've heard from some people involved in production that they might only be producing roughly 60 a month, which isn't all that wild considering they will be running integra, ITS, TLX, and TLX type S, on one line.
60 a month? That seems awfully low if Honda plans to make money. I could totally see production starting at 60, but ramping up from there, especially if demand is high. Just my thoughts, not facts.

SP R KiD

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BB CTR, 2022 Honda CRV, 2022 Ford F150
60 a month? That seems awfully low if Honda plans to make money. I could totally see production starting at 60, but ramping up from there, especially if demand is high. Just my thoughts, not facts.
I'm with you, that volume is low. That plant produces roughly 350 units a day iirc assuming no interruptions in production. So there's no telling. But 4 models on one line (technically 2 but Type S is usually regarded as its own model due to the extra complexity of the build) is a handful of cars. I'd say 60 seems too low

mattsSi

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic hatchback sport
Hey Guys,

New to the party here. I was one of the first in Canada to pick up a 22' Si. Since 1990 I've owned a lot of Hondas and a couple Acuras. In 2022 I Couldn't afford the R, nor get one even if I wanted at the time, due to waiting list.
I've read every post and watched every video available for the Type-S. Have also watched Nordshleife Type-R on YouTube. If you guys haven't seen this guy race his own Type R against many superior cars on the Nurburgring, and beat them, I highly suggest watching this stuff. Some of the best 8 min videos you'll ever see. This guy has a passenger, with no helmets, pushing the Type-R to the max, passing cars in the segment and many upper class vehicles as well. Watching these videos, I realized the k20 engine with a Type-R like chassis is what I want. S3's, Golf R's cannot compete with this car. Sure, off the line AWD will gap a FWD vehicle, but FWD beats them everywhere else...corners and -will pull away on rolls. Luckily my job has changed and has offered me the opportunity to step up from the mediocre Si to a vehicle like the Type-R or Type-S.
It seems everyone is arguing about why the Type-R and or Type S is better. I think we can all agree they are both gorgeous machines.
For me, being 42, I can't stomach driving around with a Type R wing. Sure it's cool for a 20-30 year old. But not an old dude with kids. That wing is proper and functional, but I won't often be driving at speeds that require its usefulness.
That's why I have my deposit on a Type-S in Ontario. No markup, no two year wait, no nonsense boy racer wing. Most of these type R fanatics putting the S down, will most likely never track thier car, and probably believe the wing is for looks.
Type-S it is, all the way.
Sponsored