• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Anyone running heavier oil ie 5w30?

TNSI22

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Civic SI; 18 Toyota 4Runner TRDOR
With summer approaching and temps rising, I was curious if anyone was running a heavier grade oil such as 5w30.
I know guys ran it on the 10th gens with no issue.
Just wanting to see if anyone else has done so with the new ones.
Sponsored

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
No reason to change unless you are heavily modified and/or tracking the car. Street driving, even spiritedly, will never reach dangerous oil/coolant temps.

tezzasaurusrex

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: K20Z1 EK Civic, Golf R Mk7.5, B8 RS4
Build Thread
Link
I'm running 0W30 in mine during East coast Australian winter (not very cold). Will likely go up to 5w30 when it's summer.
I've been sending used engine oil samples for testing and they seemed to be all good bar the first oil change which showed a high level of fuel content which thinned out the oil quite significantly evident in the viscosity tests. Something to keep an eye on cause our cars run fairly rich at WOT above 4K rpm.

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
If you’re really worried and want better oil with the same weight, just grab some Amsoil 0w-20 or torco SR-1. Both are better than OEM and protect the engine more. Buddy of mine ran Amsoil 0w-20 on his W1 FBO 10th gen si without an issue.

AZCWTypeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Type R
With summer approaching and temps rising, I was curious if anyone was running a heavier grade oil such as 5w30.
I know guys ran it on the 10th gens with no issue.
Just wanting to see if anyone else has done so with the new ones.
You'll find 5W-30 is fine per the European owners manual. Search Honda UK to find it. Engine internals are the same, regardless of location.
Only reason 0W-20 is spec'd here is for CAFE fuel economy. 5W-30 provides a superior film thickness, especially for high loads, which these engines are capable of.

Last edited:

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
I use 5w-30 in mine during winter and bumping up to 10W-30 for summer but its hot here in Florida.
Sponsored