• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Build quality

catu078

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Nissan GTR.
I picked up my 2023 type r 2 weeks ago and after washing the car for the 1st time I noticed that you can see the ground for both back door trims . Is this normal on a new type r? Is the car built poorly or is this a fluke?

11th Gen Honda Civic Build quality 76C36B41-2A5D-4CDD-8981-49CFA709A52F
Sponsored

tuhroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK8, 13 ISF, 95 K20 EG8, 98 ITR, 95 EG8, 23 FL5
Itā€™s a Honda, not a Bugatti

this car has fantastic build quality

yeaitsahonda

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Boost Blue Type R
Something I love about the car- ā€œItā€™s a Type R!ā€. Something Iā€™m not thrilled about- ā€œit is just a Civicā€. This falls under the latter category.

machimself

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Yeah same on mine. If it was a water outlet you'd think the inner door would drain better, but I suspect it is just how it lines up.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
In the pic it looks like the panels line up well and the gap is pretty consistent. Agree that the slot is likely for water drainage. It makes no sense otherwise. Clearly they could have not had a slot at allā€¦which would allow water to collect in that gap and possibly freeze or cause other problems. That would be no bueno.

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
Only build quality issue I noticed so far that is kind of annoying is the windows feel like they are paper thin.

If you just put them down a little I notice that they can rattle when you go certain bumps. Its like the glass isnt thick enough so it gets jostled around a little. I can't really knock it against the build quality CTR because the doors and roof are the only parts from the base Civic but I honestly never had a car do that before lol.

tuhroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK8, 13 ISF, 95 K20 EG8, 98 ITR, 95 EG8, 23 FL5
The FK8 has these gaps too, noticed them while washing the car for the first time.
the fk8 build quality and qc was horrific

paint being the leading issue

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
the fk8 build quality and qc was horrific

paint being the leading issue
I might have been one of the lucky ones, but other than the front bumper sagging and causing a slight gap between it and the hood, I don't really have other complaints.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Only build quality issue I noticed so far that is kind of annoying is the windows feel like they are paper thin.

If you just put them down a little I notice that they can rattle when you go certain bumps. Its like the glass isnt thick enough so it gets jostled around a little. I can't really knock it against the build quality CTR because the doors and roof are the only parts from the base Civic but I honestly never had a car do that before lol.
Honda windows are like this. Iā€™m not sure why they havenā€™t improved it over the years. My ā€˜09 Si was the same way. Itā€™s not the window thickness, at least not entirely. It has something to do with the brackets and stuff in the door that hold the glass. It has been a long time since Iā€™ve read about it and canā€™t remember the specifics. Itā€™s a design/engineering issueā€¦even our Acuraā€™s windows do this, but the windows are thicker and theyā€™ve definitely put more work into damping vibrations and noises, so itā€™s far less of an annoyance.

TDC50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜23 Type R, C7 Corvette Grand Sport, Alfa Gulia
Iā€™m use to Ford and Chevy build quality. The Civic is 100x better

Splice247

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Type R
To simply the answer for why do the body panels have gaps comes down to one main reason. If two painted parts touch each other it will chip an rub the paint on bother surfaces. Especially on the soft plastic parts. The gaps are created intentionally. I have seen a headlight or taillight that touches the body rub a chip through simply from install with no time to wear and tear. To sum it up yes this is completely normal and acceptable. Would only be an issue if the gap was very large and/or inconsistent ( could be a clip not set).
Sponsored