• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

OP
OP
Sara/AWE

Sara/AWE

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Sara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R
Iā€™m gonna say I disagree with this post. And guess what, thatā€™s my opinion. I donā€™t find the valve useless when you have an option to operate it manually. The car can be made louder or more quiet with a remote and push of a button. Iā€™ll speak for Milltek here because I own the exhaust and can speak from experience. Their valve system allows you to control it remotely. The same was available for the FK8 and the Remus exhaust. Iā€™m sure there were others available.

My opinion is that itā€™s a bad take to say itā€™s pointless. When the option is given to manually control how loud or soft the exhaust is by using a proper remote controlled setup, I feel that is the best of both worlds. If it was ā€œuselessā€ , Iā€™d say most manufacturers, oem or after market would never incorporate them. When on the highway going 70-80mph, the last thing I personally want to hear is a loud(er) cabin. I close the valve and the sound drops a decent bit. When Iā€™m in the city and I want more grunt, I open the valve and notice a substantial increase in exhaust tone.
To elaborate, when I was discussing the valved exhaust I was referring to the stock exhaust valve functionality. Very different from other applications which allows the driver full control of opening/closing. On the stock system there is no control which is, as you stated, the main reason for having a valved exhaust to begin with šŸ‘

You know what, I take that back. I saw a tip conversion listed for the FK8, but not yet for the FL5. It may be a case of it being a special request? I will defer to @Sara/AWE for an answer.
No tip conversions on this application, but if you want to change color down the line you can special order. We don't list tips separately as they don't fit stock or other aftermarket systems and we don't want to mislead folks :)

OP
OP
Sara/AWE

Sara/AWE

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Sara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R
I canā€™t tell from the pictures, but as long as itā€™s a proper v-band clamp and not a cheap clamp, it shouldnā€™t be an issue. If cheap clamps, you can buy 3ā€ v-bands on Amazon for $20. Itā€™ll distribute a more even clamping force.
We don't have v band connections in our system, however, our slip fits and 3" band clamps are more than sufficient for holding the system in place if positioned correctly!

Is anyone else remotely worried about the slip fittings? My opinion, but i personally prefer 3 bolt flanges.
If installed correctly slip fit connections are superior to flanges. Flanges don't allow for any rotational adjustment, and that can be extremely beneficial when installing a system. We have some tips/tricks for installing them perfectly (we will also have an install video up soon) and I am just a PM away if anyone needs a hand or has questions šŸ¤

Fresh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R (Championship White)
Iā€™m gonna say I disagree with this post. And guess what, thatā€™s my opinion. I donā€™t find the valve useless when you have an option to operate it manually. The car can be made louder or more quiet with a remote and push of a button. Iā€™ll speak for Milltek here because I own the exhaust and can speak from experience. Their valve system allows you to control it remotely. The same was available for the FK8 and the Remus exhaust. Iā€™m sure there were others available.

My opinion is that itā€™s a bad take to say itā€™s pointless. When the option is given to manually control how loud or soft the exhaust is by using a proper remote controlled setup, I feel that is the best of both worlds. If it was ā€œuselessā€ , Iā€™d say most manufacturers, oem or after market would never incorporate them. When on the highway going 70-80mph, the last thing I personally want to hear is a loud(er) cabin. I close the valve and the sound drops a decent bit. When Iā€™m in the city and I want more grunt, I open the valve and notice a substantial increase in exhaust tone.
I couldn't agree with this more. I used to work at Honda R&D Americas in Marysville. This button (and linked valve) are purposely placed here for sound concerns. There is no reason Honda would have included it otherwise... if it wasn't needed, they would just save the hassle, programming, money etc.

Now... with that out of the way, I VERY MUCH SO like the sound of your exhaust system. Throw the valve back in it from Honda and you can take my money to make it work with the OEM sensors and valve.

OP
OP
Sara/AWE

Sara/AWE

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Sara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R
I couldn't agree with this more. I used to work at Honda R&D Americas in Marysville. This button (and linked valve) are purposely placed here for sound concerns. There is no reason Honda would have included it otherwise... if it wasn't needed, they would just save the hassle, programming, money etc.

Now... with that out of the way, I VERY MUCH SO like the sound of your exhaust system. Throw the valve back in it from Honda and you can take my money to make it work with the OEM sensors and valve.
Hey Fresh, not sure what you are referring to on the Type R, no button exists for the valve and no control from the cockpit like what you would expect from a traditional valved exhaust from the factory. (drive mode does not influence valve positioning)

The valve on the type R is solely dependent on throttle input, and opens at a threshold high in the rev range (for back pressure reasons--that's it). We achieved the same result (louder on throttle and tame when you are cruising, plus drone-free operation with our 180 TechnologyĀ® resonators) so it was not necessary to add the additional cost to the system and components by adding a valve, especially since backpressure isn't an issue here (organically). :)

urbo73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
Hey Fresh, not sure what you are referring to on the Type R, no button exists for the valve and no control from the cockpit like what you would expect from a traditional valved exhaust from the factory. (drive mode does not influence valve positioning)

The valve on the type R is solely dependent on throttle input, and opens at a threshold high in the rev range (for back pressure reasons--that's it). We achieved the same result (louder on throttle and tame when you are cruising, plus drone-free operation with our 180 TechnologyĀ® resonators) so it was not necessary to add the additional cost to the system and components by adding a valve, especially since backpressure isn't an issue here (organically). :)
Can you reply to my questions in post 31 please? Thanks!

Fresh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R (Championship White)

Interesting. Can you theorize why Honda placed it there in the first place?

Can you also explain the +12dbA gain in noise at 1-meter when my mic is axially aligned with the center exhaust tip/discharge when +R mode is engaged?

Last edited:

dandaman15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 RDX, 2023 Type R

Can you also explain the +12dbA gain in noise at 1-meter when my mic is axially aligned with the center exhaust tip/discharge when +R mode is engaged?
11th Gen Honda Civic [Now Available] AWE Exhaust Suite for the Honda FL5 Civic Type R b9

Seems like she told you its for backpressure improvements at lower rpms and its activated via throttle input % (which may have a difference threshold in different modes). She didnt say it had no effect on the sound, just that the same control can be had without the valve in place.

If you want an exhaust with a valve this isnt the one for you and move on.

OP
OP
Sara/AWE

Sara/AWE

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Sara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R

Our theory was for backpressure purposes or to direct flow through the other parts of the system. What we know for sure is that operation of the valve does not change when changing modes.

Now that is not to say the modes do nothing, as another user mentioned it changes settings within the ECU, which is likely what you are hearing when you go to R mode as the RPMs pick up. However, if you take a look into that center tip you will not see the valve open when you get into R mode, nor does it remain closed in comfort mode. Would have been great if Honda did give us the option to open/close the valve on the fly! :)

Drive modes are just throttle mapping.
Engine sound is just piped in engine noise. The valve still opens if you have comfort mode engine sound on, you just need to be over a certain throttle percentage.
Thanks for jumping in, spot on!

Can you reply to my questions in post 31 please? Thanks!
Apologies that I missed your question! The exhaust will sound similar in all modes, however due to the ECU changes in the various modes, other settings may be slightly different like a higher idle in R mode. (but that has more to do with your actual tune and computer than the exhaust system itself )šŸ‘

randomFL5guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Any plans on a system for the DE5 Integra Type S? If so, could you share when we might expect those?

OP
OP
Sara/AWE

Sara/AWE

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Sara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R
Any plans on a system for the DE5 Integra Type S? If so, could you share when we might expect those?
Yes we do, working on getting a car into our facility to begin development. Since we have not begun R&D yet no hard dates to share, but we will be posting about it as it gets closer to release!

LaFlamaBlanca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R
Why are people so stuck on this valve? Everyone complains the car is too quiet, wants to buy an exhaust, and then concerned when they cant make it quietter? Baffling to me. The exhaust isnt even loud.

if you want a quiet Type R, keep the stock exhaust, or better yet buy a Buick Regal

CTRifecta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Why is this exhaust so expensive? Seems pretty similar to your other setups... Type R tax?

LaFlamaBlanca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R
Why is this exhaust so expensive? Seems pretty similar to your other setups... Type R tax?
its actually one of the cheaper ones i think. Comes with front pipe for $1,700. Spoon, Milltek, Apexi all more expensive i believe

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
Not sure thereā€™s such a thing as a ā€˜Type R tax.ā€™ Theyā€™re all relatively expensive. The exhaust systems for the FK8 were also pricey. Once you add a downpipe and/or front pipe most, if not all, exhaust systems are well over $2,000. Times have changed. You can no longer buy a Greddy or Buddy Club exhaust for $650 shipped.

Whatā€™s most troubling to me is the value proposition. You spend >$2,000 to purchase an exhaust that sounds marginally better than stock. Is the juice worth the squeeze? Iā€™m not so sure it is IMHO.
Sponsored