• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Rollout of the FL5 and the Big Tease - Decreasing want for this car?

ElDuder

First Name
El
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Lmfao at “1st Gen” FK8. The refresh wasn’t anything substantial to call it a 2nd Gen and only $4000 of updated parts.
Sponsored

spectre186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Camry, 23 Civic Type R
The CTR wouldn’t be compared to the M2/3 or Blackwing if it wasn’t marked up as much as it is. People are just cross shopping due to the higher price point from the ADM. I still want a CTR, but if it wasn’t for the damn ADMs we wouldn’t be talking about the other cars…

Y82OneTwoSix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR - 2022 MDX Type S Advance
Maybe, but the same could be said the other way around. Some pretty big egos for m2/m3 because of ADM comparisons. Not you specifically either btw, just in general.
I find it quite hilarious after providing some comments which were centered around some unfortunate experiences with respect to a reputable German automotive brand, somehow those comments gets turned around into being a hater and basher of the brand.

My wife and I had some cool experiences at Greer, S.C. and she liked her Atacama Yellow M roadster and I intially liked my Phoenix Yellow E46 M3 but unfortunately after too many various issues we decided to move to another brand and want to be clear that I never hated the brand.

Good luck to all you present FK8 owners and wish all the new and future owners of the new FL5 CTR, hope that you experience a great deal of outstanding driving engagement and like all of you sincerely hope that the ADM scenario gets better as time goes forward!

Last edited:
OP
OP

GJPEN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Subaru WRX STI
I find it quite hilarious after providing some comments which were centered around some unfortunate experiences with respect to a reputable German automotive brand, somehow those comments gets turned around into being a hater and basher of the brand.

My wife and I had some cool experiences at Greer, S.C. and she liked her Atacama Yellow M roadster and I intially liked my Phoenix Yellow E46 M3 but unfortunately after too many various issues we decided to move to another brand and want to be clear that I never hated the brand.

Good luck to all you present FK8 owners and wish all the new and future owners of the new FL5 CTR, hope that you experience a great deal of outstanding driving engagement and like all of you sincerely hope that the ADM scenario gets better as time goes forward!
Ya my whole point of the thread was about the unpredictability in timing and availability #1 and price gouging #2 combination making it for extremely inhospitable to all except the hardcore fans. I have a Subura and owned new bmws before that and was set out to try another brand, which was looking to be Honda until this last couple of weeks.

The manual transmission, steering and chassis tune are the main appeal of the CTR all in a four door which there is not much left out there with that “fun factor” anymore, in fact going up the price ladder a lot of time loses fun factor. I can go to about 65k budget but that does not particularly increase fun. I don’t care about the badge, but because of lack of alternatives I’m probably looking at going up in price to a Blackwing, CLA 45, or RS3( I need to test drive but have a even lurked on Audi forums complaining it’s not as involving a drive as the competition)

I currently have dealers kissing ass and may even get a small discount on MSRP on all of these alternatives. None of the other alternatives are marking up so far in my search. On top of that I can build to spec and know when I’m getting my car. If I could have just one give from Honda on these things I would have stuck with it.

Negitoro7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Winter beater currently
I’ve always been a Honda and Type R fanboy, and the FL5 was/is going to be my *car* reward for going back to trades-school as a grown ass adult for my career change. The limited production and (rumoured) short life cycle is really a bummer.

Currently 2nd in line at my dealer for a 2025 allocation, but not holding my breath that’s going to come to fruition since they’ll likely get one unit max per model year.

IMO, the Type R is THE best one-car-do-it-all for those who want a top-tier manual gearbox, high performance, and practicality in one package. Extra bonus points for it if it holds a special emotional place in your heart too beyond just looking at the car from an objective perspective. The only other “package” with hot hatch practicality and manual are the VW offerings, but their manuals are junk. Elantra N is a consideration but the exterior is ugly as heck, and the brand doesn’t hold an “emotional” place in my heart for me as something special and desirable.

Anyway my backup plan for me when/if I get the bad news about my 2025 allocation would be to consider the Elantra N (both transmission options), the GR86, or the Golf R (DSG). From a desirability standpoint in this price range, after the Type R I’d most want to have a new Miata, but then I’d need to have two vehicles.

But to answer the original question of this thread: The “want” is still super high but the optimism for getting one is waning. Not sure what the “markup” shenanigans will be here in Canada and at my dealer, but it’ll depend on my financial situation in a few years’ time whether I would fork over extra on top of MSRP to obtain this special car that really has no equal substitute IMO. Things would have to be going REALLY well for me to be in the market for an M2 or M3 manual in a few years. Those are the only cars I’d have more of a “want” for, but I don’t think they’re worth the extra price tag over the Type R *for me*.

Last edited:

CivicR38

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 SGP Type R #4360
I will say that my desire to call dealerships and check constantly has faded completely. I still have my deposit as #1 at a smaller dealership so outside of checking the website once a week or the Type R Finder found on this page to see if there is any update, I'm content with just waiting at this point.

ssheff55

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRX
I will say that my desire to call dealerships and check constantly has faded completely. I still have my deposit as #1 at a smaller dealership so outside of checking the website once a week or the Type R Finder found on this page to see if there is any update, I'm content with just waiting at this point.
Still super early man. I’d say you will have one next year if you’re #1 on a list.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Gee, $ 56,000 - $ 76,000 FL5's, or high priced German alternatives... or my perfectly good FK8.
A used FK8 is still a heck of a lot of car for the money.

blinkme323

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Model Y Performance
Gee, $ 56,000 - $ 76,000 FL5's, or high priced German alternatives... or my perfectly good FK8.
I've actually turned my attention to this as well. There are a ton of super low mileage FK8s in my area. Just need to find with PPF already installed ;)

Y82OneTwoSix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR - 2022 MDX Type S Advance
Totally agreed that the FK8 model provides us automotive enthusiasts with outstanding driving experiences and just love the driving engagement that comes with all FK8's and no question it will be the same or possibly even be better with the FL5?

For those who cannot locate an allocation for an FL5 or for those who choose not to pay a significant ADM for an FL5, I suggest that a used FK8 would be a terrific option.

We owned a 2018 Rallye Red example for a year with my wife enjoying that vehicle as much as I did therefore it was not a difficult decision to get back into another FK8.

For quite some time I have been looking at used FK8's as a backup option to the FL5 and came across a low mileage 2021 CTR LE that I will hopefully purchase which will allow me to put many more miles on my present vehicle as I really enjoy driving these FK8's a great deal.

I really enjoy the many unique features on the 2021 LE model such as the removal of the sound deadening material, cargo cover, rear heater ducts, rear wiper, light weight BBS wheels, lighter weight and stickier Cup 2 tires and light weight 2-piece rotors.

After weighing my present LE with a full tank of fuel the curb weight came in at 3,060# which is 128# lighter than advertised for the FL5 therefore a bonus when it comes to power/weight ratio and subsequent performance.

The fact that I like Yellow vehicles and that they come with limited production numbers and having a unique chassis plate, that is all a bonus.

11th Gen Honda Civic Rollout of the FL5 and the Big Tease - Decreasing want for this car? 2017 GT350R and 2018 Civic Type R - 1 (2)

JerseyJerk

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic EX
Elantra N

I wound up getting an Elantra N. To me, it feels a lot like the FK8 and it has the added bonus of a dope exhaust, heated seats, and a pretty incredible dash/infotainment system. I get that the looks are divisive but the car is fun as hell to drive.

Negitoro7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Winter beater currently
I wound up getting an Elantra N. To me, it feels a lot like the FK8 and it has the added bonus of a dope exhaust, heated seats, and a pretty incredible dash/infotainment system. I get that the looks are divisive but the car is fun as hell to drive.
I really like the Elantra N overall and test drove a DCT one. As you mentioned, it makes really fun noises, has heated seats, and has a sunroof (which I prefer having, on a daily driver). Which transmission did you get, and which colour?
Sponsored