• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

*The FL5 Track Junkie Thread*

yeaitsahonda

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Boost Blue Type R
Really clean lap!

I've noticed that Race Render seems to report back faster than actual lap times. I wonder how it would compare to a Garmin Catalyst.

I've watched some Race Render footage on YouTube for my home track and simply did not believe the reported time based on what I actually saw.
Thanks, man! There are some areas that I can clean up but it really felt like that lap was the perfect tire condition to lay down a flyer. The twisty section really felt like the front end was pulling the car around versus later in the day where it wanted to push out.

As for Racerender, I am a complete noob at it. Couldn't even figure out how to import the GoPro speed info this time but I know I've done it before. I'm not sure how most ppl get their lap times with it but I used to import my Aim data into it. It was hard to get the sync correct but lap times would be perfectly accurate doing it that way. My gripe was with the LogR displayed lap time. Showed me .6 quicker than the transponder. Would have been so pumped if I was able to dip into the 23s.
Sponsored

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I was just goofing around on lap meta. I posted this in my build thread as well, but according to this extremely unreliable information, I hold the FL5 lap record at VIR...lol woohoo. Doesn't count for much since I also crashed the car during this same session!

11th Gen Honda Civic *The FL5 Track Junkie Thread* Untitled

TW00Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 S2000, 2023 CTR
I would go with the transponder time over everything else that’s based on GPS.

Sorry @PointByPatrol you gotta finish the day with the FL5 and not be “DNF” for the record to hold.

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I would go with the transponder time over everything else that’s based on GPS.

Sorry @PointByPatrol you gotta finish the day with the FL5 and not be “DNF” for the record to hold.
Lol....Not sure I'm going to be in the mood to attempt 2:09's anytime soon!

chefNoka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 type r
Frist track day with FL5 at NJMP was amazing. The car is so good out of the box, super capable and confidence inspiring! Can not wait till the next track day! Previously tracked AMG GTS, FL5 is definitely a better car to learn how to track faster and safer.
11th Gen Honda Civic *The FL5 Track Junkie Thread* 1000046271

yeaitsahonda

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Boost Blue Type R
Frist track day with FL5 at NJMP was amazing. The car is so good out of the box, super capable and confidence inspiring! Can not wait till the next track day! Previously tracked AMG GTS, FL5 is definitely a better car to learn how to track faster and safer.
1000046271.jpg
Lightning? Easily my favorite track that I have driven. I get to race my Spec Miata there next month but would love to slide the FL5 around that first twisty section.

chefNoka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 type r
Lightning? Easily my favorite track that I have driven. I get to race my Spec Miata there next month but would love to slide the FL5 around that first twisty section.
Yes lightening, it's a quick little track. There was a spec miata there when I was there, I bet it's plenty of fun!

Pwalker1130

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R, R-16550
I took my FL5 to the track for the first time this weekend. Absolutely loved it! I've been tracking Porsche's for years but I had just as much fun, if not more, in my FL5. I instructed too and my student enjoyed her ride along :cool:

Also set up and recording some telemetry with LogR. A lot of the Porsche guys were impressed that a GPS lap timer comes standard in the FL5. Most of their cars have lap timers but you have to press a button to make the timer work. This one was "setup and forget it." Just set the line and you're off!

I can't wait to take it back!!!

11th Gen Honda Civic *The FL5 Track Junkie Thread* B018FD28-8D54-4E28-8238-D43A212D7B0D

11th Gen Honda Civic *The FL5 Track Junkie Thread* IMG_4969.PNG

keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 fc3, 2021 fk8
the factory gauge seems very accurate but maybe a little ahead of actual temps time wise? Like as the car is heating up it reads 10-20* warmer. When it stabilizes they were practically identical. Then on a cool down lap the factory readout cools down quicker than the gauge did. I think for my purpose the OE readout is trust worthy enough that I’ll get the aftermarket gauge removed
This is exactly my experience with the FK8 calculated oil temps:

Well, logr is surprisingly accurate enough. I even considered removing the sender and gauge after 2 trackdays, but will keep them because I'm installing oil coolers. During road driving, it deviates less than 3 C. On track, I noticed Honda's model has a too short time constant. Oil takes a lot longer to get hot and then cool down. After this transient deviation right after starting a hot lap, it's at most 6 C wrong. The FL5 model could be even better.
hold off on installing the cooler for now.
Now this is a surprise. No overheating at all?

keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 fc3, 2021 fk8
I'm not sure how most ppl get their lap times with it but I used to import my Aim data into it. It was hard to get the sync correct but lap times would be perfectly accurate doing it that way. My gripe was with the LogR displayed lap time.
My experience with LogR is a deviation of ~0.1s compared to the transponder or AIM SOLO 2. I can decode LogR data and I use them to add data overlays on racerender videos.

Someday I hope to get my AIM SOLO 2 DL to work with this car...

yeaitsahonda

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Boost Blue Type R
This is exactly my experience with the FK8 calculated oil temps:

Now this is a surprise. No overheating at all?
No overheating but with a pretty big caveat that I very rarely run a full HPDE session. The time trial sessions were only 15 minutes and no issues at all there. I did take a few people for rides later in the day and the highest oil temp I saw was 270* and coolant was 222* I think? That was when I would cool it down. Tires were already cooked at that point so they need a cool down lap on their own.

Comparing the cars lap times to the transponder I think it just missed start/finish by a touch because the lap time before my flyer shows even slower than the transponder picked up. Any idea if clouds will affect GPS?

TW00Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 S2000, 2023 CTR
Did my first track day with the FL5 yesterday and Palmer Motorsport Park. It was gloomy and damp all day. Forecasted to rain all day but luckily had 2 dry sessions with some drops here and there before the steady rain came in after lunch break.

I only got to track my FK8 once last year at Watkins Glen before I traded it in for this FL5. Stock to stock comparison, the FL5 rides lower, is stiffer and rotates better when TC is on. I find it that with both, I’m just doing gymnastics in the car, trying to stay in the seat. The seat is great on a daily basis but at the track, it becomes cavernous. It would be nice to have a harness but it’s not possible with the car being a family car. I actually tracked it yesterday without taking out the car seat in the back.

I tried my Garmin Catalyst for the first time yesterday. It was interesting as I tried not to pay much attention to the lap times but I was hoping for more in car coaching. All I heard yesterday was “good job carrying speed” or ”good apex”. I thought I was going to hear more. The opportunities definitely supported what I felt as I thought I left out a lot on the straight away because I didn’t feel confident about going faster and having enough time to break for the turn. I need to play with this gadget more to learn how to read the data and upload/share video.

The stock tires are really bad for the track. My intentions were to murder these tires and before getting new max summer tires (thinking about trying the Nankang CRS) but now I’m thinking I should just get a set of new wheels and new tires and swap as needed/possible.

I tried using LogR but Palmer Motorsport was not listed. Once I tried adding, I failed to set the start line multiple times so I gave up.

Overall, I had a good day, considering it wasn’t a complete washout. I set a good time for now at 1:56 for myself till my next visit. Representing PBP.

11th Gen Honda Civic *The FL5 Track Junkie Thread* IMG_1794

11th Gen Honda Civic *The FL5 Track Junkie Thread* IMG_6744

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Did my first track day with the FL5 yesterday and Palmer Motorsport Park. It was gloomy and damp all day. Forecasted to rain all day but luckily had 2 dry sessions with some drops here and there before the steady rain came in after lunch break.

I only got to track my FK8 once last year at Watkins Glen before I traded it in for this FL5. Stock to stock comparison, the FL5 rides lower, is stiffer and rotates better when TC is on. I find it that with both, I’m just doing gymnastics in the car, trying to stay in the seat. The seat is great on a daily basis but at the track, it becomes cavernous. It would be nice to have a harness but it’s not possible with the car being a family car. I actually tracked it yesterday without taking out the car seat in the back.

I tried my Garmin Catalyst for the first time yesterday. It was interesting as I tried not to pay much attention to the lap times but I was hoping for more in car coaching. All I heard yesterday was “good job carrying speed” or ”good apex”. I thought I was going to hear more. The opportunities definitely supported what I felt as I thought I left out a lot on the straight away because I didn’t feel confident about going faster and having enough time to break for the turn. I need to play with this gadget more to learn how to read the data and upload/share video.

The stock tires are really bad for the track. My intentions were to murder these tires and before getting new max summer tires (thinking about trying the Nankang CRS) but now I’m thinking I should just get a set of new wheels and new tires and swap as needed/possible.

I tried using LogR but Palmer Motorsport was not listed. Once I tried adding, I failed to set the start line multiple times so I gave up.

Overall, I had a good day, considering it wasn’t a complete washout. I set a good time for now at 1:56 for myself till my next visit. Representing PBP.

IMG_1794.jpeg

IMG_6744.jpeg
I definitely cannot hear the coaching from the catalyst when I'm driving, but I will look at it after the fact to try to figure out where I can be faster. I believe it has a headphone port, but I feel like the wire would just get in the way. It likely has bluetooth, for airpods or something similar, but I've never explored that.

I strongly recommend downloading the app, and if you have friends that also have a catalyst, you can add them and compare via the app. I can help walk you through the process to save videos with the overlays. It's pretty straight forward, but it takes a bit of time for the catalyst to process all of the information.

I'm glad you got out there and got some laps in before the rain! I hate driving in the rain!

Side note: I'm surprised the car passed tech with the child seat. They always have me completely empty the car, floor mats and all when I go out!.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link

IMG_1794.jpeg

IMG_6744.jpeg
Looking forward to seeing you enjoy the car more! Glad the tune worked for you also, will review the logs in a few hours.

TW00Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 S2000, 2023 CTR
I definitely cannot hear the coaching from the catalyst when I'm driving, but I will look at it after the fact to try to figure out where I can be faster. I believe it has a headphone port, but I feel like the wire would just get in the way. It likely has bluetooth, for airpods or something similar, but I've never explored that.

I strongly recommend downloading the app, and if you have friends that also have a catalyst, you can add them and compare via the app. I can help walk you through the process to save videos with the overlays. It's pretty straight forward, but it takes a bit of time for the catalyst to process all of the information.

I'm glad you got out there and got some laps in before the rain! I hate driving in the rain!

Side note: I'm surprised the car passed tech with the child seat. They always have me completely empty the car, floor mats and all when I go out!.
My track friends don’t use the catalyst. They either use Aim solo or some mobile app like Harry’s track timer. I guess I gotta make new friends. I do have the app downloaded on my phone. Should I downloaded on my iPad for video editing?

Yes I was told this club is very lenient. First time running with them. From my experience the second most lenient club with tech check would be the local SCCA track night events. I would not have tried with SCDA that I normally run with.

The car seat is tied down well. Just a pain to put back. I was being lazy. Would’ve been more interesting had I had my 2 year old in the car seat with a helmet, would they have said anything?
Sponsored