• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

LaFlamaBlanca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R
I agree. The FL5 Type R is a purpose-built car that doesn't really compromise. This ITS is trying to be both sporty and luxurious at the same time, so it's comprised and less special. It misses the mark in both directions IMO. In trying to please a larger customer base, it becomes a good car but also more forgettable. I really do believe the FL5 Type R will be a classic in years to come - it's that special. And that's something that can only be said for very few cars these days.
well said. I just dont understand the fuss here. Type S ever so slightly more comfortable, slightly less sporty with a higher price tag. Moving on. And for those that think its stupid paying whT we do for an fl5, at least the R brand will hold its value. The S is caught in no mans land per the above post..
Sponsored

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Type-S is the Acura equivalent of Type-R for Honda. It’s a marketing / brand differentiator, not a technology nor performance differentiator. Type-S is now the top of the performance heap for Acura. Type-R is and always has been the top of the performance heap for Honda.

I guess it’s confusing for folks because, at one time (LONG ago), Acura (which is ONLY a North American brand) used both the Type-R and Type-S monikers at the same time for a few years on different models (for example the CL Type-S and Integra Type-R). Note that Acuras are Hondas everywhere else in the world, except North America. That’s where things get weird and I think it’s why they consolidated all Acura performance branding to simply Type-S.

Last edited:

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I would be upset if I saw someone rip the Type-R badge off my car and put it on their base CVT Integra while smiling at me. Just trying to think of realistic scenarios here.🤣🤣🤣

Type Gts R

First Name
Juan Li
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Fl5 R
I want a type R badge for my R like the one on the Type S steering wheel on the lower section.

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
I'll reserve judgement on the interior until we know the MSRP. There is a good chance it will only be $2-$3K more than the FL5. If this happens it would make sense as to why they couldn't do more.

I think Honda is choosing to bring less FL5 to the North American market so they can sell more of the Type S. I think there is a good chance we'll see higher than FK8 volume when combining both cars but it will be like 1/3 Civic Type R and 2/3 Integra Type S.

Last edited:

js4square

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic lx 2016 MT
well said. I just dont understand the fuss here. Type S ever so slightly more comfortable, slightly less sporty with a higher price tag. Moving on. And for those that think its stupid paying whT we do for an fl5, at least the R brand will hold its value. The S is caught in no mans land per the above post..
Pretty clear FL5 is the most desirable one… but in Canada they are all sold for the next 3 years… less than 600 cars for the whole country. So I guess its interesting to have an alternative. IMO interior of the Integra is the biggest let down… especially the seats. But I still think it looks pretty good overall. And while it wont retain is value as much, it will be easier to put her out in the salt during winter !!

ChiroCale

First Name
Cale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Ridgeline
Definitely the FL5 is going to be more rare and collectable. I think the ITS looks and sounds better and will be better for daily driving with heated seats and steering (in Canada), better stereo, street suspension, and awesome accessories like titanium shifter, copper rims... Also, it's highly unlikely I'd track an FL5. Pumped for the Type S!!

Last edited:

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
Or they could release a more hardcore version called the Type S-Zero like the company did in the past. This could be Acura's R equivalent.
What would the purpose of that be though lol? Seems really redundant to make an ultra hardcore version when the CTR already is out. It would weigh more, have less cooling, and less aero unless they'd dumb significant amount into it which I doubt because that would just go into the funds for the CTR program. Don't really know the full history because the Integra Type R but I really don't think the situation is the same today as it was before.

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
What would the purpose of that be though lol? Seems really redundant to make an ultra hardcore version when the CTR already is out. It would weigh more, have less cooling, and less aero unless they'd dumb significant amount into it which I doubt because that would just go into the funds for the CTR program. Don't really know the full history because the Integra Type R but I really don't think the situation is the same today as it was before.
I guess for those who wanted the Type R but had to "settle" for the Type S. Or I suppose, if Acura comes out with a limited run during the last model year, they can call it the Type S-Zero, as a nod to one of their original NSX trims they produced in the 90s.

Robert.C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1, DC2-R
Definitely the FL5 is going to be more rare and collectable. I think the ITS looks and sounds better and will much be better for daily driving with heated seats and steering (in Canada), better stereo, street suspension, and awesome accessories stuff like titanium shifter, copper rims... Also, it's highly unlikely I'd track an FL5. Pumped for the Type S!!
My thoughts exactly. The Civic Type R is essentially a collectable car right out of the gate. But if choosing a daily? I'd choose the Integra.

It offers all the performance and dynamics in a package better suited for everyday life. Less conspicuous, more relaxed seats (that happen to be heated), more reserved styling (even the FL5 wing is a bit much for me, unless it's purely a toy), and a more street-tuned suspension all have merits in my book. Don't get me wrong, I love the FL5. But I think the Type S is nothing to scoff at (and I was highly skeptical of it when it was announced).

hhkb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
My thoughts exactly. The Civic Type R is essentially a collectable car right out of the gate. But if choosing a daily? I'd choose the Integra.

It offers all the performance and dynamics in a package better suited for everyday life. Less conspicuous, more relaxed seats (that happen to be heated), more reserved styling (even the FL5 wing is a bit much for me, unless it's purely a toy), and a more street-tuned suspension all have merits in my book. Don't get me wrong, I love the FL5. But I think the Type S is nothing to scoff at (and I was highly skeptical of it when it was announced).
The beauty of choice!
Sponsored