• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

PointByPatrol #21985 Build Journal! RIP #9243

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Good to know. Right now my "regular" collectors car insurance is through Grundy. I was with Hagerty for a while but Grundy was cheaper. As for track days, Hagerty wanted me to list EVERY modification to the car at the time of writing the policy which was a pain in the ass because I have basically restored and upgraded the car from suspension to ECU to fuel system and almost everything in between.
Not my time, but if youā€™d like to be made whole for those items after an accident, itā€™s worth listing them out. Itā€™s much tougher to prove how awesome a car was after itā€™s been rolled a few times.
Sponsored

Djseto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Mazda RX7, 2023 Boost Blue FL5
Not my time, but if youā€™d like to be made whole for those items after an accident, itā€™s worth listing them out. Itā€™s much tougher to prove how awesome a car was after itā€™s been rolled a few times.
Agreed. They wanted me to do it every time I pulled a policy with them so at the time, it was a PITA.

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Went out to the car on Saturday to drop off the keys and take the tag off. I hadn't seen the car in a couple weeks, and good Lord it's trashed! The more you look the worse it gets!

Bruises are still healing, and my neck is still pretty sore, but I'm feeling a lot better!

11th Gen Honda Civic PointByPatrol #21985 Build Journal! RIP #9243 PXL_20240330_141602174

11th Gen Honda Civic PointByPatrol #21985 Build Journal! RIP #9243 PXL_20240323_222654952.MP

11th Gen Honda Civic PointByPatrol #21985 Build Journal! RIP #9243 PXL_20240325_214329013.PORTRAIT

11th Gen Honda Civic PointByPatrol #21985 Build Journal! RIP #9243 PXL_20240325_214304677.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
Went out to the car on Saturday to drop off the keys and take the tag off. I hadn't seen the car in a couple weeks, and good Lord it's trashed! The more you look the worse it gets!

Bruises are still healing, and my neck is still pretty sore, but I'm feeling a lot better!
Iā€™m glad that you are feeling better, did you get your neck checked? Hope the recovery happens as quickly as possible.

STEye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 CW CTR FL5
The forearm injury because of the DS airbag?

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
The forearm injury because of the DS airbag?
No the airbag just burned some hair off of my left arm. These bruises are on my right arm. Fairly certain my arm slammed into the console during the flip, but I don't really remember.

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
If this happened to me, Iā€™d jump platforms. There doesnā€™t seem to be a clear cut reason why this happened, and it doesnā€™t look like driver error. Loss of traction from bouncing and stiff suspension is my best guess.

The damping is too high in +R and even Sport for high speed corners. It creates a bounce scenario with inconsistent road contact.

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
If this happened to me, Iā€™d jump platforms. There doesnā€™t seem to be a clear cut reason why this happened, and it doesnā€™t look like driver error. Loss of traction from bouncing and stiff suspension is my best guess.

The damping is too high in +R and even Sport for high speed corners. It creates a bounce scenario with inconsistent road contact.
I had lifted off the throttle. It was totally my fault.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS

Very interesting take. Not sure why I didn't make that connection... I don't know if I'm committing a faux pas by attempting to dig in and revisit this weeks after it occurred, I know it was a traumatic event and I'm hoping because OP has already discussed how much he wants to get back after it there's no true PTSD involved... but not only is there an active discussion about the suspension being too stiff in another thread, but I have to admit that this crash is playing a significant role in how much interest I have in taking my car to the track in the future. Apologies in advance if I'm in the wrong but my curiosity is piqued.

I had lifted off the throttle. It was totally my fault.
Possibly, but it almost feels like a "punishment doesn't fit the crime" situation then, no? I'll concede that watching the video had me reaching for an explanation too... my guess landed on the fact you had just passed someone and maybe were going a bit faster or following a slightly different line heading into those esses and that screwed you up... and maybe that's the case. But I've seen the reviews where FL5 drivers are damn near launched vertically out of their seats going "near"-legal speeds on canyon roads by that bouncy suspension, I have to imagine this is exacerbated on a long ass track like VIR and feels like it could easily contribute to a sudden loss of traction. It's almost... Occam's Razor.

Anyway, I'd abandon the platform simply because it seems that you're quite serious about setting fast lap times, and it's an expensive car that you were making payments on. Insurance costs alone would prohibit me from messing around with a $50k car for that use case, unless I literally had f*ck you money. Which I don't... which is why I don't push nearly as hard as you on the track, but even still I know accidents can and do happen and I'm leaning towards just focusing on autocross. In fact my mind is pretty much made up at least for this season...

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Very interesting take. Not sure why I didn't make that connection... I don't know if I'm committing a faux pas by attempting to dig in and revisit this weeks after it occurred, I know it was a traumatic event and I'm hoping because OP has already discussed how much he wants to get back after it there's no true PTSD involved... but not only is there an active discussion about the suspension being too stiff in another thread, but I have to admit that this crash is playing a significant role in how much interest I have in taking my car to the track in the future. Apologies in advance if I'm in the wrong but my curiosity is piqued.

Possibly, but it almost feels like a "punishment doesn't fit the crime" situation then, no? I'll concede that watching the video had me reaching for an explanation too... my guess landed on the fact you had just passed someone and maybe were going a bit faster or following a slightly different line heading into those esses and that screwed you up... and maybe that's the case. But I've seen the reviews where FL5 drivers are damn near launched vertically out of their seats going "near"-legal speeds on canyon roads by that bouncy suspension, I have to imagine this is exacerbated on a long ass track like VIR and feels like it could easily contribute to a sudden loss of traction. It's almost... Occam's Razor.

Anyway, I'd abandon the platform simply because it seems that you're quite serious about setting fast lap times, and it's an expensive car that you were making payments on. Insurance costs alone would prohibit me from messing around with a $50k car for that use case, unless I literally had f*ck you money. Which I don't... which is why I don't push nearly as hard as you on the track, but even still I know accidents can and do happen and I'm leaning towards just focusing on autocross. In fact my mind is pretty much made up at least for this season...
There were several factors at play in this case, and my purpose isn't to shy folks away, but to learn, and in this case it was at my expense. I've had experience on a drift track in a rear wheel drive car, and my response to this situation fit that mold. FWD is very counterintuitive to "save". I was fatigued, target focused, and just got sloppy at that point. I made the wrong decision, and it cost me big time. Luckily I had track insurance, and the lien is being covered. I certainly don't have the f*ck you money that some may think I have. My purpose for chasing times was simply to prove the platform. Yes, it is bouncy in some sectors, but keeping the throttle down settles the back end. I'm sorry if this scares you away a bit. I refuse to change platforms. Becoming an expert at FWD is much harder than our RWD friends.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
There were several factors at play in this case, and my purpose isn't to shy folks away, but to learn, and in this case it was at my expense. I've had experience on a drift track in a rear wheel drive car, and my response to this situation fit that mold. FWD is very counterintuitive to "save". I was fatigued, target focused, and just got sloppy at that point. I made the wrong decision, and it cost me big time. Luckily I had track insurance, and the lien is being covered. I certainly don't have the f*ck you money that some may think I have. My purpose for chasing times was simply to prove the platform. Yes, it is bouncy in some sectors, but keeping the throttle down settles the back end. I'm sorry if this scares you away a bit. I refuse to change platforms. Becoming an expert at FWD is much harder than our RWD friends.
The blistering lap times you were posting are an impressive feat in itself with a car that does not really have a ton of power.

Sooner1

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR BB, 2015 Audi A3, 2023 CRV Touring Hybrid
@PointByPatrol do you mind if I ask what suspension setting you were in? Hard to see from the video if you were in +R or Individual. If I recall you are NOT running the ITS ADS module.

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
@PointByPatrol do you mind if I ask what suspension setting you were in? Hard to see from the video if you were in +R or Individual. If I recall you are NOT running the ITS ADS module.
I'm running the Type R module. I was in +R with the traction control fully disabled.

Sooner1

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR BB, 2015 Audi A3, 2023 CRV Touring Hybrid
I'm running the Type R module. I was in +R with the traction control fully disabled.
Thank you. Just trying to learn. I have done numerous take days but none in a front drive car. I have a few track days coming up and your accident has made me a little gun shy. It has made me rethink how transferable my other track experience is to FWD and specifically to the FL5. Thank you for sharing your experience and being so open. I know that I will be better off because of you and so will many others.
Sponsored