• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

mmdct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR Crystal Black Pearl
Regarding oil, 250 isn't bad but good idea to back off . Were you on stock brake pads/fluid? If so, any brake fade?
brakes have been solid... stock all the way around. toughest test has been 120 to mid 40s... no soft pedal.
Sponsored

OP
OP
yeaitsahonda

yeaitsahonda

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Boost Blue Type R
nice vid and congrats on the win... good stuff!

i did autocross for two seasons in my gti and it's not for me. not enough seat time though the social aspect is good.

i had my third track day at Thompson last Thursday... good session. i improved my time by .8 seconds in a shortened event. a gti and s2000 went home on wreckers... uggghhh. the drivers were fine.

ambient was 78 and track temp was 96. oil temp reached 251 before i backed off to cool down to 240.

what's a good max oil temp? do we need a cooler? i plan to change the oil every 3 events to avoid degradation. is that enough?

i also want more front camber. an fk8 owner said DON'T do ball joints. the factory ones are too difficult to remove.

maybe camber bolts? plates? thoughts?

I'll update this with my video... came out good. i resolved my sound issues.

stay tuned and please let me know your thoughts about oil temp and camber...
Thanks! Felt good to win the class even though PAX wasn't great.

For the oil temp I'm gonna try to keep it around 250*. Probably fine up to close 280-290* but I'm not gonna push it. I'll be on track again next month and will report back with my oil temps. If they get too high but an easy lap or two brings them back down then I'm not adding anything to fight it. If they get too high too quick and can't be easily brought back down then I'll look into adding an oil cooler. The problem is that since we don't have an actual temp sensor I don't know if the number shown on the LogR will change with the addition of a cooler. I think it uses other data inputs to come up with the oil temp.

If I was going to go for more camber I'd look into something like this. This is for the FK8 but I'd imagine somebody is working on something for the FL5 (if this doesn't fit, maybe it does). I like these vs ball joints because they are easier to get to for adjustment. Ballade Sports 17+ Civic Type-R FK8 Front Camber Plate Kit

Ninja hatch

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 boost blue type r
So I just got the same thing this morning when I started my car from sitting over night , I read online some people just cleared it so I did the same thing . If it comes back I will bring in to the dealer

OP
OP
yeaitsahonda

yeaitsahonda

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Boost Blue Type R
So I just got the same thing this morning when I started my car from sitting over night , I read online some people just cleared it so I did the same thing . If it comes back I will bring in to the dealer
Sorry to hear that. Mine hasn't come back on yet. Hopeful it stays away but I'm on the same plan as you. If it comes back I'll take it in.

OP
OP
yeaitsahonda

yeaitsahonda

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Boost Blue Type R
Ordered a set of Hawk ER1 endurance brake pads for the front. Going to give them a try since the Performance Friction didn't work well at all. Get to go back on track next weekend and see how well the Hawks do.

This weekend is the second autocross of the year for WDCR SCCA. Looking at the sign up list there will be another FL5 there and we're up to 7 BS entries now. Will be fun to have a decent amount of competition.

Robert.C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1, DC2-R
Ordered a set of Hawk ER1 endurance brake pads for the front. Going to give them a try since the Performance Friction didn't work well at all. Get to go back on track next weekend and see how well the Hawks do.

This weekend is the second autocross of the year for WDCR SCCA. Looking at the sign up list there will be another FL5 there and we're up to 7 BS entries now. Will be fun to have a decent amount of competition.
You may want to try out the OEM pads, actually. They have the advantage of not needing heat in them to work, and you shouldn't get any fade on such a short course.

OP
OP
yeaitsahonda

yeaitsahonda

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Boost Blue Type R
You may want to try out the OEM pads, actually. They have the advantage of not needing heat in them to work, and you shouldn't get any fade on such a short course.
I ran them the first weekend out when the Performance Friction brakes were no good. The OEM pads seemed to stop fine and never faded but the smell coming off track had me a little worried that they were above their optimal temp. Other than the smell though no complaints from me with them.

Also, I probably should have specified- the aftermarket pads are for the track day. The OEM pads will be on it for the autocross.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
You can use a VDO sensor in place of your drain plug so you can get your oil temps. Just have to get a gauge and wire it up. I'd say it's a must for track days on any R.

OP
OP
yeaitsahonda

yeaitsahonda

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Boost Blue Type R
You can use a VDO sensor in place of your drain plug so you can get your oil temps. Just have to get a gauge and wire it up. I'd say it's a must for track days on any R.
Have you ran one? I'd be curious about how close the factory reading is to a sensor in the pan. But, not curious enough to want to put a gauge in my car permanently. Ruined an Integra back in the day by turning it into a wanna be race car and don't want to repeat that with this car.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
It's either that or you can get a sandwich plate for the filter, or when you install an oil cooler. This is what FK8 trackers say they did to monitor it as accurately as possible. Hell, we don't even get a coolant temp gauge in the Si.

OP
OP
yeaitsahonda

yeaitsahonda

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Boost Blue Type R
Well, got my ass kicked at autocross this weekend. Getting beat by a M2 doesn't bother me too much but another FL5 beat me by a full second. That one hurts. Got some work to do on driving skill.

OP
OP
yeaitsahonda

yeaitsahonda

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Boost Blue Type R
Still coming down from the high of another awesome weekend at the track. This car is just so good for a HPDE. I used individual mode this time with the pedal dance to turn of VSA and the car felt more compliant than last time in +R. To be fair though I didn't run it in +R at all this weekend so I could just be remembering things wrong. This weekend I had on the Hawk ER1 endurance pads up front and the Falken RT660 tires. Both felt great. Tires would overheat about halfway through the session but they seemed to match the coolant/oil temps so a good cool down lap was needed for the entire car. I tried removing the shield under the hood- didn't notice a difference in temps.

This thing is no fuel economy car on track. Filled up Saturday night then drove 10 minutes away to grab dinner. Sunday I did two sessions and on the final lap of the second one it hit fuel cut so hard that it turned the check engine light on and went into some sort of limp mode. Wasn't sure that I could make it back around the track so ended up diving into Pit Out. Note to self- keep it full of gas.

I tried using the 4k feature of the GoPro and for some reason the entire video is darker than I'd like and makes it hard to see the temps on the LogR. So, I didn't bother putting the entire video together and just uploaded the fun first part of the session.

Sponsored