• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

FL5 Motor oil Brand and Grade

Cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Golf R
What is the best Motor oil brand to use for the FL5 ?

What Grade do you use ?

I use Liqui Moly 5W-40 for my Golf R 2016, should that be recommended for the FL5 ?
Sponsored

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
I use Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 in my FK8, but then again, I don't track the car. I used Mobil 1 exclusively in my AP1 S2000 with daily redlining, until it was sold at 315k miles. May not be the "best", but I think it's a good balance between not spending a fortune and having more than sufficient protection for hard road use.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
@pigfacedalarm Amsoil is API certified. Well, some of their oils are and some aren’t. Kinda confusing. But certainly the stuff we’d put in our cars is. Check it out, down toward the bottom of the page. This is Amsoil’s normal grade. Signature is even better…but not API certified, so you’re right about that.
https://www.amsoil.com/p/oe-0w-20-synthetic-motor-oil-oez/

Last edited:

AspecR

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
Owners manual says API certified. Amsoil signature series is not api certified. I know you work at a dealer- any cause for alarm or voiding of warranty?
FL5 comes with ServicePass so just work with whatever oil they use during that service but Signature series exceeds the requirements that Honda set for its oil.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Yeah, that’s totally understandable. In the event of an engine problem, Honda would definitely want records of your oil changes, which would show what you had put in the engine. API or not could be a point of contention. I think @AspecR has the best advice. Maybe by the time your ServicePass period has run out, Amsoil will have gotten the Signature Series API certified. They’re losing potential sales by not having it I think.

AspecR

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
Yeah, that’s totally understandable. In the event of an engine problem, Honda would definitely want records of your oil changes, which would show what you had put in the engine. API or not could be a point of contention. I think @AspecR has the best advice. Maybe by the time your ServicePass period has run out, Amsoil will have gotten the Signature Series API certified. They’re losing potential sales by not having it I think.

They have an OEM compatible oil available it’s just that the Signature series is higher quality and offers better protection.

CTRifecta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
This is the first high performance turbo motor that I'm seeing lots of folks run 0w20 with. Motor seems to handle it just fine. Gonna be an adjustment for me, I'm used to running 0w40 in most all my prior performance cars with turbo motors .

Last edited:

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Might wanna see what FK8 folks are using for track days (other than Amsoil Signature). I’m a fan of Amsoil too, but I’m sure there’s other brands that make oil that is similar to Amsoil Sig and are API certified.

OP
OP

Cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Golf R
Driver's manual recommend 0W-20.

What brand the Dealership use ?

Bobbymcbobby

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R Championship White
The cheapest bulk oil they can find.
I've heard that the honda oil is actually pretty good, but I believe that was from some japanese video from spoon.
To all the people switching to 5w-30, why not 0w-40? I've heard going up in viscosity for cold temps is not necessarily a good thing, and I'd imagine you'd just need higher rating for viscosity at higher temps for track use?

Ac12

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Accord
anyone have experience with hks 0-20 oil and filter?
Sponsored