• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

*The FL5 Track Junkie Thread*

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
My track friends don’t use the catalyst. They either use Aim solo or some mobile app like Harry’s track timer. I guess I gotta make new friends. I do have the app downloaded on my phone. Should I downloaded on my iPad for video editing?

Yes I was told this club is very lenient. First time running with them. From my experience the second most lenient club with tech check would be the local SCCA track night events. I would not have tried with SCDA that I normally run with.

The car seat is tied down well. Just a pain to put back. I was being lazy. Would’ve been more interesting had I had my 2 year old in the car seat with a helmet, would they have said anything?
The catalyst stores the files that you select and adds the overlays to them. You then pull the file off of the catalyst with a computer. For Mac I have to take the micro sd out of the catalyst and transfer the file. For Windows I connect the USB cable that comes with the catalyst and find it that way. When you pull it off it will have the overlays mapped to the video.
Sponsored

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Sharing videos of the PB lap (lap 2 of session 2) and the entire session 2.

Session 2 -

Lap 2/Session 2 -
Those sweepers look like a lot of fun!

TW00Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 S2000, 2023 CTR
Those sweepers look like a lot of fun!
They are fun. Takes a bit of courage at times to try to apex. I like Palmer as a track where it is technical. But it lacks run offs.

yeaitsahonda

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Boost Blue Type R
It kind of reminds me of Mount Panorama in Australia. Looks like a fun track but that lack of runoff is terrifying.

TW00Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 S2000, 2023 CTR
It kind of reminds me of Mount Panorama in Australia. Looks like a fun track but that lack of runoff is terrifying.
Just can’t think about it 😂 but yeah I hear you. A few years ago, I went off in my S2000. Luckily, it was low speed and not too much damage that I could still drive home.

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Hanging out with friends at the track! The mental road block is definitely evident in the area of the crash, which means I'm leaving several seconds on the table. I haven't been able to break out of the 2:17,s, but judging by the tires, they aren't pushing, which means they have more to give than what I'm asking for.

Here are some take-a-ways:

The car is not overheating. It was 87 degrees today.

I still don't like the PS4S tires for track. They are slidy and don't inspire much confidence.

19's are not the way. 18's offer more side wall and are simply a better option for the track. (Yes, you can do it, obviously I am, but I'm switching for the next track event.) If you autocross, then feel free to keep the 19's.

Oil temps have remained in safe margins for the amount of heat that modern synthetic oils can handle.

I will no longer be using 0w20. For this event I'm using Motul 300v 5w30, and I've noticed oil pressures at idle are about 4-5 psi higher than on the factory oil, even after coming off of a hot track.

The Paragon R5's have been fantastic, and they are a good match for the factory tire.

Bar and plate intercoolers are likely the cause of overheating on a race track. They simply block too much air.

11th Gen Honda Civic *The FL5 Track Junkie Thread* IMG-20240525-WA0001

11th Gen Honda Civic *The FL5 Track Junkie Thread* IMG_20240524_085212_436

11th Gen Honda Civic *The FL5 Track Junkie Thread* PXL_20240525_135304046

11th Gen Honda Civic *The FL5 Track Junkie Thread* PXL_20240524_183152900

11th Gen Honda Civic *The FL5 Track Junkie Thread* IMG_20240524_114425_820

svvitch

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 2022 Odyssey
For a novice do you think the ps4s are fine or would you jump on 18" wheel tire combo? I'm eyeing a set of the v730 or ECF on sale at trackdaytire.com I'm trying to decide if the ps4s would be fun or frustrating. I'm also just considering a 300TW tire on 18" wheels.

Glad to see you back out there and helping the rest of us get on track!

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
For a novice do you think the ps4s are fine or would you jump on 18" wheel tire combo? I'm eyeing a set of the v730 or ECF on sale at trackdaytire.com I'm trying to decide if the ps4s would be fun or frustrating. I'm also just considering a 300TW tire on 18" wheels.

Glad to see you back out there and helping the rest of us get on track!
For a novice they "could" be fine. There are some pretty fast novices out there. 18's offer more protection, cheaper tire options, and weight savings, which are all wins. Plus you would then have a set of street wheels, and track wheels. I understand it's expensive, but ultimately a worthy investment.

svvitch

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks it's the direction I'm leaning. I can pickup a set of wheels and tires for around $2200 maybe $2400. Save my ps4s and not heat cycle out my track tires on the street. Thanks for your opinion.

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Guys, I forgot to mention one very important thing, and that is the Hybrid Hans. Took some getting used to, but I will NEVER track without it again. You do feel restriction in your head and neck, but it helps to keep you from straining muscles in those areas in the factory seat under high G-force.

@Two Step Performance can get these for you, and they are EXTREMELY important. It's just not worth the risk without the proper safety equipment in place for your setup, and a Hans is a no-brainer. Invest in your life, I almost lost mine.

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
Thanks it's the direction I'm leaning. I can pickup a set of wheels and tires for around $2200 maybe $2400. Save my ps4s and not heat cycle out my track tires on the street. Thanks for your opinion.
Looking to start getting into what I'd need to get for my CTR, since I now acquired all of my tools. My quickjack should be coming in soon.

Trying to make a list so I can just gauge at how much everything will cost me before I have my first track day. What wheels and tires are you going to get, and where are you looking? I didnt want to buy a set of tires because of the space they take but I'll manage. Im a complete noob here.

svvitch

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was planning on getting a set of enkei in the 18x9.5 range for track. And either v730 or Continental extreme contact force for tires. Trackdaytire.com has them on sale this weekend

TW00Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 S2000, 2023 CTR
Looking to start getting into what I'd need to get for my CTR, since I now acquired all of my tools. My quickjack should be coming in soon.

Trying to make a list so I can just gauge at how much everything will cost me before I have my first track day. What wheels and tires are you going to get, and where are you looking? I didnt want to buy a set of tires because of the space they take but I'll manage. Im a complete noob here.
I recently bought a set of BBS RI-A in 18x9.5 +40. It was around $3,600. You obviously don’t need to spend that much for a set of wheels. I also bought a set of Bridgestone Potenza Race from Tirerack, that was another $2k. (Typing this hurts). I had scheduled for a mobile service to get the tires mounted because I didn’t have time to watch my son and get this done.
Sponsored