• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack
You can't have a lottery system when you can't buy the car directly from the manufacturer. Independently owned franchise dealers who buy the car from Honda and then resell would never play ball on something like that and why should they. If you play out buying directly from Honda at MSRP in a no negotiation scenario all the cars I bought in the past at invoice/below invoice would have been MSRP deals. I saved much more getting deals than I ever paid in ADM. Supply demand works plain and simple.
Actually, you can.

Toyota UK has a lottery system for the GR Yaris and it doesn’t sell directly to the customer. You still pick the car up from a dealership of your choice.

Toyota Japan did the same exact thing with the latest GR Yaris GRMN, which was limited to only 500 units. And it worked. I even signed up for it, even though I didn’t win. There were many fields to fill out. It asked me to select a “GR Shop” - as they call it - which is basically a dealership specializing in GR sales.

Obviously the same person couldn’t win and pick up the car twice.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack
I think some of you have misinterpreted the original intent of my post about a lottery system.

I never claimed that I would prefer a lottery system over ADM. In fact, I much prefer to negotiate and pay ADM - if it comes down to it - to secure the car I want.

While I‘m ok with ADM, it isn’t fair by any stretch. People with deeper pockets always win in the end (broadly speaking). I still think the only fair way would be a lottery by the manufacturer. If you think such lottery would be rigged because you don’t trust said manufacturer, then why are you buying a car from them in the first place?

Toyota did this in many countries with the GR Yaris and it worked. The demand for that car was off the charts and still is. Some folks waited 2 years to get theirs after securing the car.

Geezer

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
My understanding is that Europe/UK is a mix of factory owned/privately owned outlets someone could shed some light on that I would be interested to know. The "issue" if you want to call it that: in the US the manufacturer cannot set the transaction price and no laws in place to dictate msrp. Even if there was a lottery to secure allocations the price could never be guaranteed. You could argue that the FK8 LE with 600 units for 1100 or whatever the number is franchise dealers would have been the perfect lottery candidate. The only ones that won the lottery on that one are the dealers that were allocated one.

captainscott60

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
I humbly disagree with all this lotto stuff. I asked my dealer for a car almost a year ago and fortunately was 1st on a list of over 15 now. I bought their 1st car even though , it was not the color I asked for. I respectfully summit to you folks, if there was a mere mention of a lottery for the car ! I would have said thanks but no thanks and would have bought something else I wanted at a price I could afford. Even though I’m thankful I got the car, at my age I have learned to not be so emotional about anything that I would lose sleep over as it’s a car at the end of the day. Not life or death. Don’t get me wrong, I love the car and was worth the aggravation with the shipping nightmare, so this old man is happy at the moment and hopefully anyone that can afford the car, gets one when their more affordable for some. Kind Regards

CTR39322

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DE5 Integra Type S
I have been a Honda enthusiast all my life, and I’m in my late 40’s and own a FK8. Like others have said, the FL5 is a great car but not for 60k. If at some point I get the opportunity to get one near MSRP, I’ll consider getting one just like I did with my 21 FK8. And even then, I don’t think it’s worth the extra price over my FK8 at this point.

POPNTEC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW FL5 CTR
I have been a Honda enthusiast all my life, and I’m in my late 40’s and own a FK8. Like others have said, the FL5 is a great car but not for 60k. If at some point I get the opportunity to get one near MSRP, I’ll consider getting one just like I did with my 21 FK8. And even then, I don’t think it’s worth the extra price over my FK8 at this point.
If your happy with the styling in and out of your FK8 then there really is no motivation to spend more money than you already have!

POPNTEC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW FL5 CTR
@savagegeese

Okay I just finished watching your 3 1/2 hour live stream. I was worth every minUte. The last two minutes were hilarious.😂

I can’t believe how much heat you and the dealership are taking over the Civic video. People need to take a step back and put things in perspective.

Anyways I hope this doesn’t sour your ownership experience of the FL5. And I hope you do share your experience with the car on your channel. Keep up the great work and I do thoroughly enjoy your guys content.

P.S. Did you get around to watching the Sam Hyde reviews a Lamborghini Huracan video???😂

dt10g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX 6MT (Canadian)
RE: Lottery

It's the same situation as Rolex, if you are remotely in the know about that market.
Whomever wins the authorized dealer lottery often just flips it on the gray market or private sale.
I see no difference if this was done with a car like the Type R...

The Highest Bidder approach (basically ADM) is likely best BUT what I would like to see is...

The difference in the price paid over MSRP should be donated to CHARITY by the Seller.

Results:
The seller (or manufacturer) gets a tax break, and doesn't look like a massive f#ckwad...
The buyer gets their car at a price they were wiling to pay...
Non-buyers at least understand that money is going to charity - who can argue with charity?
Charities and communities benefit.

Also world peace.
It will never happen...

randomFL5guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru

@savagegeese Just watched your new GR Corolla video, which was awesome btw! Was wondering if you have any further insights comparing the GRC and FL5 now that you've had more time to more thoroughly drive both cars?

OP
OP

savagegeese

First Name
Savagegeese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R

@savagegeese Just watched your new GR Corolla video, which was awesome btw! Was wondering if you have any further insights comparing the GRC and FL5 now that you've had more time to more thoroughly drive both cars?
In the video I made no referrences to Type R because I know Id get ripped on. Aside from the AWD system, Id take Type R 9/10 times. Its more consistently fast, the Type R has the better platform, front end, interior, seats, manual transmission. Its just a big car. In many scenarios on tight stuff and adverse conditions the GR is faster because grip is so high. But the Type R has a much better front end. You can lean on it much harder without understeer, where GR will start washing out.

The GR has the edge in engine sound and character and even "feel" when temps are cold. But when it gets hot the Corolla feels way slower because of heat soak. Based on how our experience was in heat vs cold car felt like it was down 20HP at 95F.

We have a big comparison we are doing with FL5, GR, Elantra N, Golf R and S209.

Kyofu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3 GT
In the video I made no referrences to Type R because I know Id get ripped on. Aside from the AWD system, Id take Type R 9/10 times. Its more consistently fast, the Type R has the better platform, front end, interior, seats, manual transmission. Its just a big car. In many scenarios on tight stuff and adverse conditions the GR is faster because grip is so high. But the Type R has a much better front end. You can lean on it much harder without understeer, where GR will start washing out.

The GR has the edge in engine sound and character and even "feel" when temps are cold. But when it gets hot the Corolla feels way slower because of heat soak. Based on how our experience was in heat vs cold car felt like it was down 20HP at 95F.

I'm really looking forward to the comparison! Keep up the good work

randomFL5guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Thanks for the insights! Looking forward to seeing what you think of the Integra Type S this summer!

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R

How was the gas mileage and fuel range? I saw in the dashboard in a review that it had like 19 MPGs amd only had 195 miles of range with only 3/4 fuel in the tank. Seems pretty low considering its a smaller engine.

Im getting 24.3 MPGs with 280 miles on a max tank and thats with me driving aggressively all the time

TDC50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Type R, C7 Corvette Grand Sport, Alfa Gulia
In the video I made no referrences to Type R because I know Id get ripped on…………
Very smart. While watching the video I was saying to myself, careful with the comparisons. Too many emotionally fragile people out there.

VPMotors

First Name
Vivek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 2002 Honda CR-V

@savagegeese just like you did the above in depth review of the GR Corolla, why not do one on the FL5? I know you did the track impressions and the tech specs/improvements compared to the FK8 in the launch video, but you had a similar track impressions video for the GR, yet you did an in detail follow up. Would love to see a similar one on your FL5 on your favorite Illinois farm road, complete with the interior impressions and the "in the shoppe" section.
Sponsored