• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

FL5 Overheated on Track

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I have 2 or 3 more events this year. One is next weekend, so I've got to get this problem sorted quickly. I'm going to install the new radiator today. I won't be able to report back until I'm at the track again. This won't be a perfect comparison though. Carolina Motorsports Park is a very short track, with short straights, and a lot of low speed corners, which absolutely caused stress on the cooling system. VIR on the other hand has several long straights that allow the car to cool (both brakes and engine) between turns. I've got an oil cooler, so I'm going to put the oil temps to the back of my mind, and stay laser focused on the coolant temps. I am currently researching gauges and will likely buy one soon. HEL Performance has performance data for the oil cooler on their website, and they used an auxiliary gauge to monitor those temperatures, and saw a large reduction in oil temps.
Sponsored

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
The new radiator is in, installed it yesterday. Already a small difference noticed just on my way to work this morning. Granted it was in the 40's when I left for work, and I had the heater set to 78 degrees, but the ECT's never went past 172 degrees. Typically I would expect to be around 180-185.

EJHonda

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71
Is this the "Performance" or "Track Spec" radiator version?

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
The new radiator is in, installed it yesterday. Already a small difference noticed just on my way to work this morning. Granted it was in the 40's when I left for work, and I had the heater set to 78 degrees, but the ECT's never went past 172 degrees. Typically I would expect to be around 180-185.
Are you still running the aftermarket intercooler?

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Are you still running the aftermarket intercooler?
Yes. I'll be taking the factory intercooler to the track with me just in case. It's a pretty quick swap if I run into more issues.

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Good call. Eager to see how you fair.
I've got my fingers crossed that I won't need to put the factory intercooler back on. I'll be laser focused on the ECT's while on track. I've got positive indications from street driving this week that a difference has been made with the new radiator. I've not seen coolant temps reach 180 at all. I'll be posting a video of the install tonight. I'm currently running 1 bottle of water wetter, 1 gallon of distilled water, and the remaining fill with factory Honda coolant. At the track I will be running the heat during my sessions, and will have the rain baffle under the hood vent removed.

ne_typer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BB FL5
If you’re in touch with PWR at all, can you ask to see if they are developing an intercooler for the FL5?

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
If you’re in touch with PWR at all, can you ask to see if they are developing an intercooler for the FL5?
I'm a pretty cool guy and all 😉 but I don't have any connections with the folks at PWR. 😔

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
Gents and ladies! I'm happy to report that the car did not overheat on track at VIR! I removed the baffle and ran the heat. Water temps didn't get over 204 fahrenheit!
Great 👏

What about oil? Did the sensor do the same thing where it was giving false positives?

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
I will check on this for you. I was told months ago it was in the plans but I haven't heard since and will look for an update. :thumbsup:
Sponsored