• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

FL5 Overheated on Track

Backmarker

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL5
First off props to PointByPatrol for sharing the learnings on the thread.

I am following with interest as I have similar goals of being able to run the car hard for a 20-30 min session without cooking myself with the heater or overheating the car ;).

It does seem like the bigger intercooler could be a culprit here. Between the oil cooler, intercooler, and AC condensor there are a lot of things in the airflow to the radiator and most are heating up the air as well.

Has anyone run a car with cooling mods and a stock IC to see if the upgraded IC is actually needed for track use (high speed = lots of airflow)?
Sponsored

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
Has anyone run a car with cooling mods and a stock IC to see if the upgraded IC is actually needed for track use (high speed = lots of airflow)?
I don't think so here but there's been plenty of dudes who have done that with the FK8 over on the Civic X. From my understanding the upgraded IC is there if you want to make more power. The upgraded IC actually makes the engine run hotter (because its making more power). The stock IC is better in terms of cooling.

yeaitsahonda

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Boost Blue Type R
First off props to PointByPatrol for sharing the learnings on the thread.

I am following with interest as I have similar goals of being able to run the car hard for a 20-30 min session without cooking myself with the heater or overheating the car ;).

It does seem like the bigger intercooler could be a culprit here. Between the oil cooler, intercooler, and AC condensor there are a lot of things in the airflow to the radiator and most are heating up the air as well.

I ran my car at Summit Point back in July. No modifications to the engine. Just had the rain deflector out. Didn't run the heat. The engine gets hot but it happens about the same time that the tires are getting slippery. A cool down lap seemed good for both tires and engine temp. FWIW, it wasn't bad enough that it made me want to change anything. Here is the only full session video that I have and unfortunately the white balance is off and it's hard to see the dash. Can only really see the temps going into turn 1 and between 3-4.

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I ran my car at Summit Point back in July. No modifications to the engine. Just had the rain deflector out. Didn't run the heat. The engine gets hot but it happens about the same time that the tires are getting slippery. A cool down lap seemed good for both tires and engine temp. FWIW, it wasn't bad enough that it made me want to change anything. Here is the only full session video that I have and unfortunately the white balance is off and it's hard to see the dash. Can only really see the temps going into turn 1 and between 3-4.
I can't see the screen at all. What was your highest ECT?

yeaitsahonda

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Boost Blue Type R
I can't see the screen at all. What was your highest ECT?
Yea the video sucks. I can see them on my screen briefly when entering turn 1. Here are the coolant/oil temps for each lap with the time stamp I got them from.
2:56- 192/188
4:23- 204/224
5:49- 208/246
7:15- 215/258
8:39- 217/267
10:11- 204/255
11:37- 219/264
13:03- 217/269
14:39-192/248
16:13- 208/244
17:38- 217/258
19:06- 217/266

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Yea the video sucks. I can see them on my screen briefly when entering turn 1. Here are the coolant/oil temps for each lap with the time stamp I got them from.
2:56- 192/188
4:23- 204/224
5:49- 208/246
7:15- 215/258
8:39- 217/267
10:11- 204/255
11:37- 219/264
13:03- 217/269
14:39-192/248
16:13- 208/244
17:38- 217/258
19:06- 217/266
I saw up to 224 at VIR. I turned my heat on and it backed down.

scuderia_miso

First Name
Teddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5, FA5, AP2
@PointByPatrol how much street driving have you done with the race version of the PWR/C&R radiator? I am curious if you've noticed any low airflow conditions where the car is running hotter than normal. I would think your situation is worst case since you have the PRL intercooler and an oil cooler hanging out in front of the rad which should inhibit airflow even more.

Below is what they say on their website, which has me hesitant on getting the race spec one since I daily my FL5. I couldn't find any evidence of people in the FK8 forums observing this issue either but there aren't many data points.

"While this radiator results in superior heat rejection on the track, we do not necessarily recommend this radiator for street use. The increased density of the core might result in reduced airflow, leading to slightly higher Engine Water Temp’s."

tezzasaurusrex

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: K20Z1 EK Civic, Golf R Mk7.5, B8 RS4
Build Thread
Link
@PointByPatrol how much street driving have you done with the race version of the PWR/C&R radiator? I am curious if you've noticed any low airflow conditions where the car is running hotter than normal. I would think your situation is worst case since you have the PRL intercooler and an oil cooler hanging out in front of the rad which should inhibit airflow even more.

Below is what they say on their website, which has me hesitant on getting the race spec one since I daily my FL5. I couldn't find any evidence of people in the FK8 forums observing this issue either but there aren't many data points.

"While this radiator results in superior heat rejection on the track, we do not necessarily recommend this radiator for street use. The increased density of the core might result in reduced airflow, leading to slightly higher Engine Water Temp’s."
I have looked into this, but it seems there are heaps of FK8 guys running the track spec PWR who report no issues at all with coolant temps when street driving. The concern is valid though, and I can see why they make this statement.

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R

I daily drive the car. No issues with temp at all. I could understand guys in higher altitudes having issues because of low air density, but I'm only 200 feet above sea level.

RacingIsLife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 FL5, '23 BRZ, '15 EVO GSR, '15 Forester XT
I second all the thanks to PointbyPatrol for presenting this data. I also enjoy his videos, hell of a driver!

I have the same goals as well to track my FL5. So far I have purchased the HELF oil cooler but I am reluctant to buy the PRL intercooler due to blockage concerns for airflow to the radiator. Interestingly, I found that CSF has a radiator for the FL5 and they have data showing that a larger front mount intercooler "been shown to raise engine coolant temperatures by ~7%". Their data shows their radiator reduces water temp by 8c versus the OEM radiator when there is also a larger intercooler installed. They also are the radiator supplier for the Type R TCR cars.

https://csfrace.com/new-csf-fl5-civic-type-r-high-performance-radiator/

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I second all the thanks to PointbyPatrol for presenting this data. I also enjoy his videos, hell of a driver!

I have the same goals as well to track my FL5. So far I have purchased the HELF oil cooler but I am reluctant to buy the PRL intercooler due to blockage concerns for airflow to the radiator. Interestingly, I found that CSF has a radiator for the FL5 and they have data showing that a larger front mount intercooler "been shown to raise engine coolant temperatures by ~7%". Their data shows their radiator reduces water temp by 8c versus the OEM radiator when there is also a larger intercooler installed. They also are the radiator supplier for the Type R TCR cars.

https://csfrace.com/new-csf-fl5-civic-type-r-high-performance-radiator/
CSF is a great brand! I also noticed improved temperature handling after replacing my radiator with the PWR. Seems it's necessary to do both intercooler and radiator at the same time for track duty.

RacingIsLife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 FL5, '23 BRZ, '15 EVO GSR, '15 Forester XT
I come the world for Subaru STIs and Evo's. Quality radiators over there are $300 or so. The FL5 yeeoww

Vito.FL5

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 1997 civic Vti EK4, 1999 sedan
Remove the water lines that cool the turbo. We tested it. great improvement

Vito.FL5

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 1997 civic Vti EK4, 1999 sedan
well.. I don´t have data but I´ve had multiple turbo cars and never ran a water line. never had issues.

EGT´s on our cars are low due to the headifold and I also run a lot of fuel so it might live.

Just avoid shuting the engine down imeadiately after beating the hell out of it and it should be fine.
Sponsored