• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

FL5 Overheated on Track

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Third run. 67 ambient. 221 degrees but only briefly.
Sponsored

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
That oil temp can't be trusted. Just got done with my second run. Hit 214 F ambient 65
Yeah until you get a dedicated oil temp sensor I would not give a second thought to the oil temps on log R.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
That oil temp can't be trusted. Just got done with my second run. Hit 214 F ambient 65
Super helpful and thank you for sharing. Ideally, you want to see ambient temps in the 85-95 F range to get a better sense of the efficacy of the radiator and intercooler combination. Unfortunately, that time has passed and we'll look forward to next season.

I'm .5 seconds off from my personal best in the FK8.
Was your FK8 modified?

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Super helpful and thank you for sharing. Ideally, you want to see ambient temps in the 85-95 F range to get a better sense of the efficacy of the radiator and intercooler combination. Unfortunately, that time has passed and we'll look forward to next season.

Was your FK8 modified?
It was. Phearable Stage 2 tune, RV6 suspension gadgetry, intake, intercooler and exhaust.

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Wow, that's incredible. With some more seat time, you'll best it in no time!
The FL5 exceeds in the corners. It's been a blast to drive today. My optimal laps on my Garmin are showing low 2:10's are possible. I'd like to beat my personal best this weekend if I can, but that will ultimately be decided by traffic. I've had a few vague shifts. Thinking a RMM is a necessity.

yeaitsahonda

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Boost Blue Type R
The FL5 exceeds in the corners. It's been a blast to drive today. My optimal laps on my Garmin are showing low 2:10's are possible. I'd like to beat my personal best this weekend if I can, but that will ultimately be decided by traffic. I've had a few vague shifts. Thinking a RMM is a necessity.
That's awesome. I was really hoping to get down to VIR before the end of the season but it's not gonna happen. The upper esses and South Bend in a car with this much power has to be epic.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
I can’t recommend the rmm enough! Its made the car feel more connected and 0 wheel hop.

fishyducky

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL5
Gents and ladies! I'm happy to report that the car did not overheat on track at VIR! I removed the baffle and ran the heat. Water temps didn't get over 204 fahrenheit!
Awesome man! Is baffle referring to the gutter thing under the hood vent?

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I can’t recommend the rmm enough! Its made the car feel more connected and 0 wheel hop.
Probably also reduces the feeling that your transmission is running away from you!

tezzasaurusrex

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: K20Z1 EK Civic, Golf R Mk7.5, B8 RS4
Build Thread
Link
ah got you! Have not seen the underside of the car yet since my last oil change was done when intercooler was installed and I was not there.
Turns out I am mistaken. The K20C1 does indeed have an engine oil/coolant heat exchanger but unlike K series of old which had it as a sandwich plate at the oil filter housing, rather it is located just under the water pump! Which is only inches away from the scalding hot turbo along with the the main water pipe that runs behind the turbo in front of the engine block. God knows the reasoning behind all this...

See red circled in the attached photo:
11th Gen Honda Civic FL5 Overheated on Track Screenshot_20231023_174604_Gallery

Part #14 (highlighted in yellow) in the below exploded diagram:

11th Gen Honda Civic FL5 Overheated on Track Cooler Engine Oil.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Turns out I am mistaken. The K20C1 does indeed have an engine oil/coolant heat exchanger but unlike K series of old which had it as a sandwich plate at the oil filter housing, it is located just under the water pump area! It is located only inches away from the scalding hot turbo along with the the main water pipe that runs behind the turbo in front of the engine block. God knows the reasoning behind all this...
See red circled in the attached photo:

Screenshot_20231023_174604_Gallery.jpg
Running the heat while driving makes a big difference. I experimented with not running it and saw ECT's climb to 224, I then turned the heat on and about 10 seconds later the temps had fallen to 212. The turbo is more efficient than an FK8, but is immediately dumped into a restrictive catalyst. A high flow cat will likely do wonders in concert with a full exhaust.
Sponsored