• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

OP
OP
machimself

machimself

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
For those of you who made tire related comments, I know there are a lot of variables, but how many track sessions would it take to tear through a set of the Michi stock tires?
Sponsored

Bobbymcbobby

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R Championship White
Just found out there is a racetrack being built in my backyard here in the Pacific Northwest. Now having a car worth racing, I'm interested in getting involved but am curious about the 3-5 top priorities for tracking an otherwise stock vehicle. I know a couple of these are brake pads, wheels and/or tires, and brake fluid, but what else? Trans fluid? Better oil? Suspension mods?

What all should I be considering when thinking about tracking the FL5?
Thank you for starting this thread, as I'm also starting on getting ready to track of the first time in the fl5. Out of curiosity, what race track are you referring to? I'm also in the PNW

OP
OP
machimself

machimself

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Thank you for starting this thread, as I'm also starting on getting ready to track of the first time in the fl5. Out of curiosity, what race track are you referring to? I'm also in the PNW
Circuit of the Northwest is under construction by the Bremerton Airport. Looks like a 2024 open so it is a way off, but something to get excited about nonetheless!

dandaman15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 RDX, 2023 Type R
For those of you who made tire related comments, I know there are a lot of variables, but how many track sessions would it take to tear through a set of the Michi stock tires?
There are way too many variables to give you a good estimate. A set could easily last 5-8 track days, maybe an entire summer. If you drive too hard, run too high pressures, overheat or roll them hard it could be severely degraded after the first track day.

sackofcheese

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic SI, 1994 Miata (track toy)
As others have said, the only thing I'd change on the car to prepare it is flush with a good High Temp DOT 4 brake fluid. I personally run Motul RBF660, but the Castrol SRF or Endless stuff is great too. Having the local track shop align the car to get maximum camber from removing the factory pins will help with tire wear too. I'd highly suggest getting Track Day HPDE Insurance. Your regular provider wont cover any on track incidents, and may even try to drop you if they find out. You'll see plenty of cars running without a license plate on track.

Also just some non car related tips, bring water, sunscreen, a chair, some sort of sun protection (Umbrella or pop up canopy works) and snacks.

alhounos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si - Sold, Tesla Model 3
Does the Type R have a more track-friendly VSA setting than the base/Si?

Si guys often find they put even more heat and wear into brake pads if they forget to turn off VSA before going on track.

sackofcheese

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does the Type R have a more track-friendly VSA setting than the base/Si?

Si guys often find they put even more heat and wear into brake pads if they forget to turn off VSA before going on track.
The FK8 would let you fully turn off VSA in +R mode, but I'm not sure they carried that over. The pedal dance always works too

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
+R allows fully off or you can use the pedal dance. I wish they would allow it on Individual mode.

GeezR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Type R, Caterham, VW Touareg, Chevy Volt
Leave stability management on, at first. It will save your butt. Check brake pad wear. I went through a set of rears in less than 3 track days.
Consider adding paint protection to the front. Chasing cars with sticky tires at 130 mph can lead to stone chips. Practice turning off your turn signals and windshield wipers: they are easy to inadvertently turn on while flailing around at speed. Fill up after every session or two, the gas gauge on the prior version was very unreliable at the track. Run with the heater on to bleed off engine heat and avoid the TypeR’s dreaded limp mode.
There is a steep learning curve and it takes a while to reprogram your brain to track mode. So be patient and don't be surprised when someone in a clapped out Miata is faster!

holland1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma
I'm sure it depends on the track or maybe even what area of the country but what does a typical track day cost? A local one in Palmer MA has it for around 400 a day, not sure if there are more fees after that. So with insurance maybe around 800 before any consumables brakes/tires? I can't seem to find prices for THompson,Ct

yeaitsahonda

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Boost Blue Type R
I'm sure it depends on the track or maybe even what area of the country but what does a typical track day cost? A local one in Palmer MA has it for around 400 a day, not sure if there are more fees after that. So with insurance maybe around 800 before any consumables brakes/tires? I can't seem to find prices for THompson,Ct
Most of my time is spent at Summit Point in West Virginia. Pricing is around $450 for a two day weekend event. I think that's about average. Higher tier tracks will cost more.

sackofcheese

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Leave stability management on, at first. It will save your butt. Check brake pad wear. I went through a set of rears in less than 3 track days.
Consider adding paint protection to the front. Chasing cars with sticky tires at 130 mph can lead to stone chips. Practice turning off your turn signals and windshield wipers: they are easy to inadvertently turn on while flailing around at speed. Fill up after every session or two, the gas gauge on the prior version was very unreliable at the track. Run with the heater on to bleed off engine heat and avoid the TypeR’s dreaded limp mode.
There is a steep learning curve and it takes a while to reprogram your brain to track mode. So be patient and don't be surprised when someone in a clapped out Miata is faster!
There is always some Jabroni in a clapped out Miata

(I'm that Jabroni 😅 )

sackofcheese

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A typical single day at NCM Motorsports Park is around $300, $500 for the weekend. If you're looking for cheaper track time the SCCA Track Night In America program has cheaper options than a regular track day.

tuhroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK8, 13 ISF, 95 K20 EG8, 98 ITR, 95 EG8, 23 FL5
As others have said, the only thing I'd change on the car to prepare it is flush with a good High Temp DOT 4 brake fluid. I personally run Motul RBF660, but the Castrol SRF or Endless stuff is great too. Having the local track shop align the car to get maximum camber from removing the factory pins will help with tire wear too. I'd highly suggest getting Track Day HPDE Insurance. Your regular provider wont cover any on track incidents, and may even try to drop you if they find out. You'll see plenty of cars running without a license plate on track.

Also just some non car related tips, bring water, sunscreen, a chair, some sort of sun protection (Umbrella or pop up canopy works) and snacks.

going to sebring next month, i always go with motul 660...i will be running it in the fl5 with the spoon stainless lines too, should be great

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
I think I can do April 7th down in Homestead, we'll see. Need to get the darn car first.
Sponsored